Weatherly Heights Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted April 28, 2014

This is my daughters second year here and she loves it!!! I as a parent think it is a GREAT school. They are really helping her with her speech and reading difficulties. The school is in a good location, I feel safe knowing she is well watched.

Posted September 11, 2013

My school is Weatherly Hieghts Elementary and it's a great school. My son started there in Kindergarden and he is now in 2nd grade. The teachers are very nice and kind and helpful to everyone. Always doing fun, exciting and educational activities for the whole family. At Weatherly, we feel like one big happy family. They DEFINENTLY Go The Extra Mile.

Posted June 27, 2013

Have been very happy with this school. They have gone out of their way to help my child succeed. The dpeech therapist and his teacher have been wonderful!

Posted March 2, 2013

We moved to this school from out of state, we looked on great schools to helps us determine the school to choose. The principal is unwilling to work with new families attempts to bully the parents into not being at the school, she has yelled at students in the hall. The teachers don't seem to care or take into consideration the whole child. They tell my children to not tell me what is going on in their class. My first grader got in trouble and was in the wrong, but was put in the corner and then sent to a pre-k class this is a form of bullying via humiliation. Our family has dealt with racism and bullying since we entered this school. We have met with the principal and things do not seem to change. The children are yelled at and and slapped. I will be removing them from this school for next year. I am shocked at the behavior of the adults at this school, my children are afraid to go to school and explain that they do not feel safe. The school allows the children to watch movies during free time instead of encouraging creativity. The PE teacher calls the children WEENIES if they don't win, even if the students aren't bullying the adults are, which is worse!

Posted June 4, 2012

I really love this school! They have cool after school programs. My child was lucky enough to have Mrs. Patterson. She is an awesome teacher and a real credit to Weatherly and Huntsville city schools. She took the time out to get to know and understand my child's way of learning and taught her how she learned. That's a real jewel in my eyes. She was great with all of the students and always welcoming.I am happy we moved to this area. The principal is ok and the school has a cool outdoor classroom which is neat. They are big on parent involvement and that's cool. Great pta

Posted May 25, 2012

I had two children go through Weatherly. My last one just graduated yesterday from Fifth grade. Both of my kids thrived at Weatherly. The teachers were all fantastic and always willing to listen when i had concerns. The current principal seems to be very enthusiastic and from what i hear from the teachers she is fair. The PTA is very strong. That is so important. The two gifted teachers really do an excellent job at motivating and exposing the kids to different types of research. Whether it is math maniacs or studying the habitats wetlands, the space program provides an alternaive classroom where those kids more advanced can be exposed to new and exciting venues of learning. All of the teachers i encountered were truly dedicated professionals. Ms. Thomas, Inglewright, Adcock, Beard, Wolfert, Tucker, Kaufman, Lucas, Alexander, SHowers, Klinzak, Sams, Zupko, McCallister, Kastanakis. I cant say how much i appreciate all of them and the wonderful job they did in preparing my kids for middle school and for life. I will always be so grateful for the time they invested in my kids.

Posted December 9, 2011

My son came to Weatherly Heights from one of the of the top elementary schools in the Madison County School System and has learned more in these 4 months then he did all year last year. He came as a 4th grader and has had no problems with being accepted as the school has a strong no-bullying policy. The science lab (where he has already done dissections) and the S.P.A.C.E. (gifted) program are amazing as is the FREE after-school robotics club. The parents are expected to be very involved and they are! It has a small neighborhood school feel and his teacher, Ms. Klinzak is amazing! My one complaint is they don't do a good job of orienting new students before school begins. So we didn't know basics like what time made you officially "tardy" , how to do drop off/ pick up, lunch numbers, etc. So be sure to ask that info before hand. They have a "curriculum meeting" the second week of school but its a bit hard to navigate before that.

Posted July 27, 2011

My son has attended Weatherly since 1st Grade. He had Mrs Thomas for 1st grade and she was fantastic. I was really impressed with her all year long. My son had Mrs Bateman for 2nd grade and she seemed to do a pretty good job but the kids watched too many non educational videos in my opinion. The PTA is fantastic with 100% parent participation and the PTA self funds a science teacher position at the school. There are alot of fundraisers but we don't participate unless its a dance or a festival. We are completly satisified with the education that my son is receiving there.

Posted January 6, 2011

Excellent administration and staffing! Good community support and PTA involvement. My daughter has since went on to middle school from this teaching and has been more than well prepared to take on all advanced classes offerred in sixth and seventh grade.

Posted June 11, 2010

I have three children at this school and overall have been very pleased with the quality of the teachers and teaching styles. Two of my children have IEP's and I find that the special Ed teachers are excellent, especially Mrs Crowell, who has worked with both of my children. The Kindergarten department has a strong, positive teaching team. The Pre-School is excellent with "Highly" qualified teachers, something that is not common. There are strengths every other year in the teaching grades, but there are excellent teachers in every grade if you are lucky enough to get them. If you have an easy or average child then you will have no trouble with any teacher at the school. The principal can be intimidating but has the best interests of the children at the forefront of her mind.

Posted July 26, 2009

The principal and staff at Weatherly have created a warm and inviting environment where the students are challenged and supported. There are also many extracurricular activities, especially for an elementary school.

Posted February 17, 2009

We really love Weatherly Elem. for our children. They were new students this year and have had an easy time adjusting, thanks to the teachers and principals.

Posted October 11, 2008

This school is outstanding. I can not say enough good things about my experience with the staff and the principal as well. My son has attended this school for 2 years and is thriving. I appreciate that there is a great emphasis on parent participation...yes, there are lots of fundraisers...but the PTA/fundraisers contributes a great deal to the school's success.

Posted July 23, 2008

We've been happy with the teachers and the curriculum. I'll agree with other posts that there are way too many fundraisers, but I don't mind giving a flat donation. The only reason this school doesn't get 5 stars is because of the principal. She is TERRIBLE! (And glad to see I'm not alone in this opinion after reading some of the other views). She could care less about the parents and is very defensive if you approach her about an issue. My husband and I refuse to talk to her anymore and use the Asst. Prinicpal, Mr. Strong. Mr. Strong is great. He listens to both sides of the story, reassures you that your kid is what they care about the most and makes you feel like he is trying to do the right thing. I'm not sure how Ms. Stokes can remain the principal with all these complaints.

Posted June 2, 2008

I have had children at Weatherly for 4 years now. One is about to enter 4th grade and one about to enter 1st. We've had a fairly good experience. Most teachers are highly competent, and kind toward the children. However, the principal leaves a lot to be desired! She does not give a hoot about parental concerns! Also, several teachers show too many videos, and many give far too much homework for the age level of their students. (I am qualified to say this since I am a former elementary school teacher myself!) The curriculum in the earlier grades is also disappointing. It does a good job of teaching the children, but not in a developmentally appropriate manner. (Too many worksheets!)

Posted April 7, 2008

My childern go to Weatherly. I do think there is too many fundraisers. My kids say that they don't get enough time to eat lunch because of the line being so long and also to many fights along the 5 grade boys. I don't think the principle takes it serious. It needs to be handled.

Posted December 28, 2007

We have two girls in K, and 2nd grade. We seriously considered private schools - but we are very happy with Weatherly. My 2nd grade daughter is reading at a 4th + level, and doing very well with the Accelerated program. The teachers are very kind and encourage the children just enough but do not push too much & still make it fun. My husband and I are in high tech fields - we expect and demand a high quality education for our girls, and Weatherly is doing an excellent job. As with any school there are annoying fund raisers, however you can 'opt out' by writing a check if you'd like. PTA is outstanding - 100% participation for over 20 yrs. Great school.

Posted November 8, 2007

We moved here over a year ago. We were not thrilled by the principal. My husband registered our child two week prior and the principle couldn't find the paper work nor did she remember my husband coming in and spending time with her. To this day, our child's current school file is not complete from her tranfer here. We are also a bit perplexed by the review we read that said this school has so many activities. This only if you pay quite a bit extra, and not all the activities are available as once were. The school spends quite a bit of time emphasizing raising money for various departments. AS of today we have another flyer, our sixth, on another fundraiser. They stress the importance of 'good citizen's' raise money.

Posted May 1, 2005

My husband is in the military and my kids have attended public schools in New York, Virginia, and Kansas. In 2003 we moved to Huntsville, AL and all three of my boys started at Weatherly Heights Elementary. This school has exceeded my expectations for a public elementary school. The teachers are excellent, and the staff is supportive. The emphasis on reading has really improved my boys' desire to read and the accelerated math program (independent) helps provide a challenge in mathematics. The extracurricular activities are numerous and great - strings for 4th & 5th graders, Chess Club, Math Club, Patrol, etc. Parent participation at the school is truly outstanding and the Weatherly PTA is the best I've seen! I would highly recommend this school.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 93% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2013.

All Students93%

Not migrant93%
Poverty93%
Not poverty93%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students90%

Proficient in English97%
Not migrant97%
Not poverty99%

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 25%N/A56%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1307 Canstatt Dr