Monrovia Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 530 students

Posted August 5, 2013

I am extremely pleased with all that Monrovia has afforded my son, both academically and socially. I could not have paid for a better education. The Principal and the staff are all very professional and dedicated to the students well being. My only change, would be to have a couple of major fundraisers instead of little fundraisers every other week, at least that what it seemed like last year. You want your child to participate in everything but for families with more than one child it could be very costly. Overall the school is fantastic, thanks to Dr. Davis and staff.

Posted July 16, 2013

Monrovia Elementary is excellent! All credit goes to the school for having my son read by the middle of Kindergarten and he's excited to return for 1st grade.

Posted March 31, 2013

We LOVE this school. The principal is very aware of what is going on in the school. She is very visible and returns emails and phone calls. I love that they have a very safe school, top notch teachers and innovative programs. The Leader in Me program is wonderful! My kids come home talking about the 7 habits daily. We are very pleased with the school.

Posted February 18, 2013

Very disappointed with the school. Kindergarten was ok, nothing great. 1st grade has been an uphill battle the entire time. I have met with the school numerous times, and resorted to calling the BOE, which is not what I wanted to happen. I did get resolution, but not after much heartache. Some of the teachers there are truly wonderful, I think I just happened to get a few that are either close to retirement or didn't mesh with my kids personality.

Posted December 4, 2012

My daughter is in 2nd grade now. I have been impressed with every teacher she has had. The staff really does care about the kids. They go over and above to bring out the best in each child. I am proud to tell people that my daughter goes here. As a parent, if you get involved you will get to know the staff even better.

Posted August 18, 2011

I think this school is wonderful. My daughter is a second year student here and is very happy. The teachers are very personal and willing to help with anything a student might need. I was delighted with the way my kindergartner left last year, reading, writing and math skills far exceeding my expectations. Classes are comfortably small and all staff friendly and helpful.

Posted April 19, 2011

I love this school!! But most of all, our daughter does!!! We made a move to this school locally and are very appreciative of how well the school runs. We love The staff!! We are never disappointed! We love that we are welcome to the school anytime.

Posted July 21, 2010

This is a great school! The teachers are personal and they are up to date! they are involved with extra Curricular activities. They have never disappointed me! the children are the number one priority here!

Posted March 30, 2010

We love this school! Great leadership made of professionals who listen to parents. I am in the school frequently and am impressed with the behavior of the students overall. Teachers are proactive in helping the individual student and his/her specific needs to make the best of each child's education. We enjoy improving a home and moving, but are staying in our current home simply because we want our children at THIS school.

Posted May 29, 2009

if u want ur child to be happy an safe the best school is monrovia

Posted May 27, 2009

We chose this school district specifically, and schools were a huge part of our reason for moving to the Huntsville area. After one year, we're pleased with MES. Our daughter (contrary to one of the previous reviews) went from an academically troubled student to consistent A-B Honor Roll-er. Our son remains a straight-A student and seems to have plenty of challenges to keep him engaged (chess club, DI, ACE). We were very happy to see that discipline problem-kids are not molly-coddled. Parent involvement is extreme. Plenty of activities, too - which I find a little unusual for an elementary school. On the downside, it seems like this entire school district spends too much time 'teaching the tests' and not enough time on general learning experiences. The kids get the facts for the tests, but they don't really learn how to apply what they know.

Posted April 1, 2009

It surprises me of the rating for extra curricular activities for Monrovia Elementary. This school provides several after-school clubs such as the Chess Club, which has one awards in all tournaments they have entered. They also have a Science Club, Art Club, Math Team, and a Destination Imagination Team. We are very pleased with the many things this school has to offer. They are always adding new things each year.

Posted December 31, 2008

My family moved to Monrovia this year. My daughter went from a bright, happy A-B student who loved school to a troubled D-F student who cried at night because she didin't want to go to school. The level of communication was laughable. Thank God, she has a better teacher now. Things are definitely not perfect but are much improved. She's happier and the parent-teacher communication is much improved. I still have complaints about the amount of work that has to be done at home. We spend approx. 2 hrs per night working with her. She has 4-5 tests per week. She also hates P.E. because they 'sit around' too much. She plays basketball, softball, and swims so that speaks volumes about the P.E. program. All in all, I would have made a different choice about schools and have plans to move out of the school district.

Posted December 19, 2008

I am a parent of a Kindergartener and I am very happy with the school. My impression was positive since I went for a visit when I was deciding where to buy my house. I visted all the schools in the area including Hampton Cove but I really like the personal attention I got at Monrovia by the principal, teachers and volunteers. The education is reflected on the people that interact with my son everyday. The other schools were either overcrowded or they just sent me to check it out on my own. I want the best education my son can get and I am very please that they are already working on math in Kindergarten. If their curriculum is harder than other states GREAT. He will be able to be competitive. Spend time with your kids studying . This is not only the job of the teachers but of the

Posted October 1, 2008

We have spent 3 years at Monrovia. Ist grade was horrible. MUCH harder curriculum wise than what our cousins got in other states . 2nd was much better, except for 2 'bad actors' in class that took up most of the teachers time. She left to have a baby in February. The substititue never got the kids past the 7in subtraction. In 3rd grade they decided to do 'multiplication in 7 days', which was basically you teach your kid x amount of facts every night at home. We're going to move to get my kid out of there. I can't say it strongly enough- this is a BAD SCHOOL-this school. Most of the teachers don't teach and the principal doesn't listen.

Posted June 25, 2008

This school is wonderful. They push the children in a way both the parents and the child can enjoy without stress. They encourage reading past their grade level and reward children when they excel.

Posted May 11, 2007

I'm giving Monrovia Elementary 2 thumbs down due to our daughters' first grade experience there. This wasn't first grade- it was a trial by fire and nobody seemed to care. I started calling the counsellor in September- and kept on over the year; she has never, to this day, called me back. We eventually bought $300 worth of textbooks and paid to have our bright child tutored. Parents, beware of this school- they totally teach the standardized tests, even the DIEBELS, so the scores are inflated. The emphasis here is on looking good on paper, not whether your child actually learns anything.

Posted May 9, 2007

I also have a child in first grade at Monrovia and I think the curriculum is extremely hard. Between spelling words, spelling sentences from dictation and vocabulary, my daughter is expected to learn 40+ new words a week-many have three or more syllables and aren't part of a regular first grader's vocabulary- this week she has starvation and romped in spelling.Her teacher pushes even more on them than the curriculum calls for, adding words in vocabulary, or an extra sentence in spelling. We are very involved parents, volunteer, and put in at least an hour a night every night studying with our child. The class is super competitive with weekly reading and writing contests that have clear winners and loosers. I don't think this is good for the kids' spirits. This teacher also really 'teaches' the standardized tests, so I question the validity of those high test scores.

Posted February 26, 2007

It is amazing the high standardized test scores reported considering the area's growth. Not a school for non-involved parents as the curriculum is challenging for my 1st graders. I believe the curriculum is sometimes too challenging for such small kids, but I can't argue with the results. High income, well-educated area; homes appreciating 10%+ per year. New school being built approximately 2 miles away will alleviate overcrowding .

Posted January 1, 2006

I have a second grader and a kindergartener at Monrovia Elementary. The teachers are excellent and the curriculum is great. I haven't had any real problems with the schoo. Everyone works with you and takes care of any request. Parents are able to participate as much as they like. You can't ask for a better environment. Two thumbs up for Monrovia Elementary.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 93% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2013.

All Students95%

Proficient in Englishn/a
Not migrant97%
Poverty89%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students96%

Not migrant97%
Poverty95%
Not poverty97%

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 16%N/A56%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1030 Jeff Rd