Jemison Elementary School

Public | K-4 | 907 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 7, 2010

My daughter has learned alot @ this school. We work w. her daily. I have had some issues w/ disrespect from a staff member or two and the code of ethics is not stricktly followed by all teachers; However considering it is a public school filled w. indevidual teachers and not all ppl have the best moral, I do feel that aslong as you stay vidgulent in your childs education process This school will benifit then,

Posted September 16, 2009

The staff at this school is very knowledgeable and willing to do what it takes. However, administration puts too much emphasis on testing to the detriment of other required and worthy objectives. History and Science is NOT taught in a manner required by state courses of study
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 3, 2009

Jemison elem. Is a very good school. I believe that if the school continue to except all diverse groups of people, the school will continue to have positive growth.

Posted March 18, 2009

I am a parent of 4 children in the jemison school system in each school. We moved from a school that was horrible. Over all i love jes. Just wish the school would do a better job with reading it seems to focus more on speed than comprehension.

Posted March 12, 2009

I wish that the principal made it more welcoming for parents to be involved. We came from out of state and attended a school that was very welcoming. It makes a huge difference in the school. More parent involvement = happier staff and children.

Posted December 19, 2008

This is a wonderful school for our son, who is Autistic. He has developed so much and loves to go to school..! The teachers and the prin

Posted September 22, 2008

I agree that Art and Music ae so very important. I have sent many emails to the board of education on this issue. I don't know what other steps need to be taken at this point. It may be an issue for the State BOE. Other than that, this is a great school. It is sad that the children are having this taken from them, unless you enroll them in private lessons. My children have been here since K and I have never got to see them in a play. I hope that something is done before my children are out of elementary school. Being as you can't get this time back.

Posted September 20, 2008

Please, please place some importance on art and music! the school that we came from wasn't as large as this one and it offered a great art and music program. We saw the grades go up and the children actually loved school much more. It makes a huge difference! other than that, I am pleased with jes.

Posted August 1, 2008

Since my grandchildren moved from such a terrible school system, perhaps I am overwhelmed by the difference! Smaller classes, organized teachers, teachers who make themselves available to parents - Trust me when I say, if you've seen what must be among the worst school system in the state, you can appreciate being in a truly education-motivated environment such as this school!

Posted January 9, 2008

There reading program is excellent, my daughter is in 1st grade and she is on a 3rd grd reading level. Kuddles to all the 1st grade teachers, especially Mrs. Davis.

Posted October 16, 2007

They focus more on reading.Doing it as fast as they can and not so much on what they are reading.I have taken my child out of this school. For some reason the priciple at this school would not even consider any extra help for my daughter who was falling more and more behind in 2nd grade due to a learning disability and ADHD. My daughter never did any art other than a few color sheets. She only used a computer for A.R. tests. No music was offered to her. I moved my child to a private school this year where she is catching up and exceeding our expectations.

Posted August 14, 2007

As a parent of three, I have been with this school for eight years. I have yet to understand why the students spend so much time testing on how well they speed read. My children call this test dibbling. This is where the student has to read a certain number of words per minute to reach their benchmark. I honestly do not understand how reading fast can benefit my child. Our school is supposedly third in the state, but what does that mean?

Posted July 29, 2007

I have been very impressed with the entire staff at this school. They all take my child's well being and education very seriously. They are wonderful and warm and provide academic challenge without intimidation. They also do not pick 'favorites' to groom and leave others behind. All students are encouraged equally. I feel very lucky to be in this school district.

Posted February 5, 2005

JES has been a wonderful school for our children. The teachers and Mrs. Pitts did more for us than we could ever imagine. The parent/teacher relationships that we experienced was remarkable and we have developed close friendships with many of them. Their care and compansion for each child in that school goes beyond words, not to mention the quality of education our children received. Our children woke up every morning happy and eager to get to school because at JES learning was fun, exciting and unique. The teachers and other administrators go out of their way to prepare the students for the future. The advice and wisdom Mrs. Pitts has given us (on a personal level) through out the years will stay with us forever. JES is such a lucky school to have her as their principal. Our family will truly miss JES and all it's wonderful staff and students!

Posted June 23, 2004

JES is a great place for kids. The teachers are knowledgeable and give kids insight to things they would never experience in real life! We love JES! Thanks to all teachers and Mrs. Pitts, the asst. principal! She is always willing to talk to us with any kind of problem. Our school is safe and I dont have to worry about anything happening inside the school. My 3rd grader did great things last year, tons of improvement in math! YEAH! Reading has always been awesome there. They stay on top of those things and make sure that if anything happens or starts sliding, that we know. JES has its problems like any other school but I am very satisified with it and the education my children are getting. I cant say thanks enough!

Posted April 11, 2004

The academics are extremely easy. There is little to provide challenging work for students.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

186 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

186 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

167 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

167 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students98%

Proficient in English96%
Non-migrant93%
Poverty90%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students98%

• Mrs Louise Bolton Pitts
Fax number
  • (205) 688-2812

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now