Kinston School

Public | K-12 | 527 students

Sweep tile

Posted November 10, 2010

As a parent of a 8th grade student and a former student, I will say the school as a whole is nice.. It is nice that the school is on a smaller scale, however being a smaller school if you ever get into trouble or a rumor is started not only does most of the Faculty treat you in a different manner but the students. The teachers that my youngest son ( who has ADD) do not try to work with him. I have spoken to the High School counselor and even the Principal. Also unfortunately being a small school it does matter what your last name is, as far as sports and also on many other matters. I will say the Principal is a very good one, and the school is a very safe environment.

Posted March 27, 2010

If college is th e next step, keep in mind that KHS goes into little detail about evolution, including omitting Darwin's 'Origins of the Species'. 'Catcher in the Rye' is not issued, like most schools - was it sensored on purpose? I feel those kids missed out on this great book at the time they would enjoy it most.

Posted November 15, 2009

this school is so fun because there ard no fighting!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Posted July 27, 2009

Ok I graduated Valedictorian. I can spell and type correctly on a computer. So anyone who wants to say Kinston is not up to par with other Schools, just read this before you decide where you want your child to go. Kinston is the only School around itself presently that requires a 8 page college level research paper in the 10th grade. Most schools around don't require it until the 12th grade. English 101 in college normally requires 4 essays and 1 research paper. What school around Kinston can compare to that...? None. And as far as Math goes....I always had an A. Algebra I, II, III, Trig, Pre-Cal, Geo, and Statistics are the curriculum for grades 9-12. Not 4 of those....all of those. ACT scores and excellent enough for most students to get scholarships for college. Teachers are eager to help as long as students are willing to learn.

Posted October 11, 2008

My daughter started Kindergarten at Kinston this year. She loves it and I do too. She is already reading and doing basic math. I have friends that have children in kindergarten in other schools close by and they are just now starting to do the things my child was doing the second week of school. The teachers are very nice and easy to talk with. I could not imagine my child being anywhere else. This truly is a great school!!!

Posted August 20, 2008

I am a student and a cheerleader at KHS (: Despite ANY of the reviews on here that are old and make the school sound like we are just slow, country 'folk', I think Kinston is the best of the best. I am proud to say I go to Kinston. It excells in everything and is on the list as one of the best schools in the nation. I have attended KHS since kindergarten. I have never felt unsafe. It is a very loving environment. I think I'm rambling, but if anyone has taken the time to read this, I just want to say that KHS is the best. When I'm here I feel at home. If you have the chance to go to KHS I would recommend it to everyone.

Posted August 11, 2008

I am a parent of two (2) children that attend Kinston High School. My children have attended since they began school. My son is a senior this year and my daughter is in the 7th grade. I am from Montgomery, AL and would never consider taking them anywhere else!! My husband and mother-in-law graduated from Kinston. I can only say positive things about this school. I would recommend Kinston to anyone that wants a positive educational experience for their children.

Posted October 28, 2007

At this school girls are encouraged to excel in all areas. The teachers are top notch, the administration responsive, and the atmosphere conducive to learning.

Posted July 21, 2006

I am a proud graduate of KHS. I have 2 boys ages 9 and 10 that are also KES. I attended Andalusia High School for 2 years and was not doing well at all. The teachers in larger schools seem to be more focused on politics more so than the importance of the education itself. At KES and KHS your child will receive the best one on one education that you can possible imagine. The teachers care about the students and how they excel in curriculm and there is nothing that can compare to that. Here at KES and KHS you are given a fair and challenging start to further your education. Those who dont see it that way have not kept a good line of communication with the teachers. I hope this is helpful to someone. I know that we are proud of KES and KHS!

Posted May 12, 2006

If you notice, most of the parents who write negative things about Kinston can barely spell or put sentences together themselves. I am a proud graduate of Kinston High School, and am happy to say that I have done well in college. My teachers prepared me for life after high school, and I am in many honor programs in college. Also, if a student took the SAT and did not make a single error, I have a feeling we would have heard about it by now. :)

Posted April 13, 2006

I have two stepsons in kinston. One is in the first and the other's in the fifth, and I have a doughter in the first grade at Andalusia Elemetary and in comparison the boys can't keep up. She reads, writes, and spells at a higher success rate than the boys. She also took the sat's and didn't make one error. The child in first grade at Kinston struggles to spell, read, and write. As a student someone might view things differently. As a parent, I see the big difference in the academic requirements. The boys are extremely smart, just not worked well with at school. They have great potential, just no teacher to mold it. I've taught them more than their teacher. My 7 yr old reads better than my 11 yr old. Difference in parenting? Not hardly, just the requirements and academic settings that surround them each day.

Posted January 26, 2006

Although I only graduated with twenty-four other students from Kinston High School, there is no place I would be prouder to call home. Not only is Kinston a small, safe school, but the teachers there do a wonderful job of preparing students for life after high school, in the workforce or college. I am a freshman in college and had a 4.0 my first semester, so there is no doubt in my mind my teachers did a wonderful job of getting me ready for higher learning. In most of my classes I was already far ahead of the rest of the students, because we had covered everything at Kinston. I hope I am fortunate enough one day to send my students to KHS, because it is a truly wonderful place for an education.

Posted January 16, 2006

I am a parent who's four childern have went too or are going to KHS. My son was part of the class of 2005. Him or my other three would not have had the chance to play sports in a big school.Also they would not have had the chance to learn one on one with the teacher and coaches. I also went to KHS and found that it cared about it students it was true then and it is still true to day.I went to a larger school and did not receive the one on one that you will receive a KHS. If your child has the chance to go to KHS you can be asured that they will be treated like family. That is what we are a Kinston High School family.

Posted February 19, 2005

I am a graduate Of KHS. ANd my daughter goes there now. But honestoy she has been to another School and it was better. I put her back in Kinston because it was so much smaller but the other school is so much more advanced than Kinston. I will be putting her back in the other school the next School year and yes she will be staying there. Kinston is a good school because it is small but that is all. They are behind most other schools when it comes to teaching.

Posted August 26, 2004

Being a graduate of Kinston High School, I can honestly attest to the fact that there is no other school in the area like Kinston. The quality of education is excellent and the and the atmosphere cannot be matched. Because of my education and experience at Kinston, I am now a successful college student in the classroom and in many forms of extracurricular activities. Parents, if you are interested in preparing your child for college-- this is the school they need to attend.

Posted August 31, 2003

Kinston is a wonderful and unique school. My husband and I moved away due to our jobs but the large city we live in has no school that can compare. We tried private schools here that cost over $1,000/month and yet they can't hold a candle to KHS. In addition to the comments made in earlier posts, I would like to add that Kinston has managed to hold on to the education environment that most people only recall when talking about the 'old days' or what is portrayed in movies from more idealic times when families and communities were more committed to each other. Families with access to Kinston are truly blessed!

Posted August 19, 2003

I have children attending this school and I would not want them enrolled anywhere else. I love the way the whole community in part pulls together, we all help out(as far as raising each others children). This is a wonderful place to educate your future leaders.

Posted July 2, 2003

As a graduate of Kinston High, I give it all A'S. This school helped shape and form my future into todays world. Even though it's small, I recieved the help from the teachers i needed on an individual basis. This school is by far one of the cleanest I've ever been in. It's kept neat and tidy inside and out. The Coffee County Board of Education should give more to and back this school. Not all countys in Alabama, have a school in there system, that can touch the students the way this one does.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 91% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

47 students were tested at this school in 2012.

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

47 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2012.

49 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2012.

49 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students94%

Non-migrant94%
Poverty93%
Non-poverty94%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students82%

Non-migrant76%
Poverty63%
Non-poverty91%

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2012.

All Students81%

Non-migrant58%
Poverty59%
Non-poverty57%

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 95% in 2012.

Language

The state average for Language was 75% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2009.

n/a
Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 71% in 2012.

Scale: % passing

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama High School Graduation Exam (AHSGE) to test high school students in reading, math, language, biology and social studies. High school students must pass the AHSGE in order to graduate. The AHSGE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 98% in 2012.

Language

The state average for Language was 90% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 95% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 94% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 94% in 2009.

34 students were tested at this school in 2009.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 90% in 2012.

All Students100%

• Mr Terry W Weeks
Fax number
  • (334) 565-3494

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now