Locust Fork High School

Public | 7-12

Posted April 23, 2013

Worst school ever.They have the most unprofessional staff.It is like having children in -charge of the school.They are not people you can count on to be on top of things, and I don't know about anyone else,but when it comes to my kids,I want the job done right.You want get that from Locust Fork.DON,T SEND YOUR KIDS TO THAT SCHOOL.

Posted July 15, 2012

i went here for my 8th and half of my freshmen year and what could say about how much i loved it there.mr.smith is a great principal and mr.hughes was understanding.mr.morgan was funny i had fun going to school here because the teacher are very nice people.i meet several nice people from the school and still talk to them. i love this school i was an a-b honor roll student there.thanks to all the wonderful teachers there and mr.hughes

Posted July 14, 2012

I have attented Locust Fork for almost 13 years now. I hate to be rude, but most people who are unhappy with our school will be unhappy anywhere, because they just like to complain. The teachers I have met throughout the years have made a lasting impression on my life, and have not only gave me a sufficent education, but have helped me in any way they can outside of the classroom. This school is full of loving and caring individuals who won't nothing more than for us to succed. I am beyond proud of my community and my school; Locust Fork will forever hold a special place in my heart. People tend to be very judgemental and harsh on our school, but I can honestly say there is no other school that I would want my child to attend. I plan to reside here, and hopefully teach at Locust Fork Elementary one day soon. I feel that my teachers have given me a great education, just as well as those of other schools from different states. Any parent who has something bad to say about their childs education probably does not see the way their child attends in class. I would suggest Locust Fork High School to anyone who loves living in a small, tight knit town. I love LFHS! (:

Posted August 7, 2010

I have to "re-teach" my child a lot of material that is taught to him at school. I give my child most of the home work that he has because he comes home on most days without any. If you have a full time job and don't have the spare time to be a second teacher to your child, then please, do not send them here. Yes, there are a lot of well-meaning folks in the community; but niceness does not an education make. Sorry......

Posted April 7, 2009

I am a senior at Locust Fork and have been there since my 4th grade year. I feel we have a wonderful school, in a good environment. Yes, it is true that we may be some-what behind other schools, but all in all we do learn plenty. And as for Mr. Hughes being the only person who cares for us students, that is most definately not true. We have amazing teachers who care for us and treat us as their own. In fact, during my Sophmore year I had continuously had C's as well as D's, a new teacher named Ms. Matson took her planning period to tutor me, as well as other students. Since that year I have become a straight A student, and I owe it all to her. She isn't the only one either, our principals are incredible and so are all of the faculty at Locust Fork!
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 25, 2009

I am a parent of three childreen one that currently attends the high school and two that are in the elementary. My opinion is that it is a great school and a wonderful community to be a part of. My children take great pride in their school. What some parents don't realize is the opportunity is there for all students. It is your job as a parent to help your child acheive to his or her full potential. I have never had an issue that was not resolved in a timely proffessional manner. I think the school has improved over the last 5 years and the assistant principle does a great job with disipline and keeping control of the school. I am very proud that my children are a part of this school and look forward to the remaining years to come!

Posted January 15, 2008

In response to this parent's review of Locust Fork, I would like to disagree with how LF is 2 years below Tennessee. LF is a great school with good teachers. The state board of education and the Blount County Board of Eductaion don't adequately fund LF.

Posted June 16, 2007

Well i am astudent at locust fork high school and im a senior i wont say who i am. Yes it is true that the standards are a bit lower but not much. Ive been to other schools like well i wont say that will give me away but, lets just say it was another 1 in alabama and it was the same in the other state we were at the same place in every subject. The problem does not lie with the teachers they are all great except for lowery the problem is with the students./
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 17, 2007

There is one person who genuinely cares for the students at LFHS and that would be Mr.Hughes.

Posted April 11, 2007

School lacks leadership by the staff and the quality of the education the students are receiving is far below average. Children are not taught they are babysat. I am very disappointed and know my child has not received an adequate education.

Posted October 7, 2006

Not a good school. My student complained a lot about many aspects of the school. I told her to give it time to sink in, since she had just been enrolled. However, nothing improved. We moved to Locust Fork from Tennessee and my daughter is a sophomore. She told me that 10th grade standards here are the equivalent to 8th grade standards in TN. I got to see the school for myself, and I must say it doesn't seem very organized nor is it very attractive. Personally, I dislike this school. And to any parent reading this, my daughter would like to add the message; 'please don't let your kid suffer, don't make them go to LFHS!'

Posted May 26, 2005

it is great school aready had two granduate one in the 5th the principal of the high school is his coach his wife is the pe coach we moved from the city to the country we love it.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2012.

81 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2012.

81 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2012.

101 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2012.

101 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students77%

Non-migrant81%
Poverty69%
Non-poverty95%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students68%

Non-migrant73%
Poverty67%
Non-poverty80%

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2012.

78 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

All Students74%
Poverty63%
Non-poverty87%
Scale: % level 3 or level 4

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 95% in 2012.

Language

The state average for Language was 75% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2009.

98 students were tested at this school in 2009.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 71% in 2012.

Scale: % passing

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama High School Graduation Exam (AHSGE) to test high school students in reading, math, language, biology and social studies. High school students must pass the AHSGE in order to graduate. The AHSGE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 98% in 2012.

Language

The state average for Language was 90% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 95% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 94% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 94% in 2009.

117 students were tested at this school in 2009.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 90% in 2012.

All Students93%

• Mr Daniel Smith
Fax number
  • (205) 681-6175

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now