Madison, AL

St John The Baptist Catholic School 1

Posted December 16, 2014
This school is one of the worst. I am not pleased with the curriculum whatsoever. I have been wuth them for eight and a half years now, the decline of the standard has gone down immensely. 1/10 would not school again.

Posted December 11, 2014
St. Johns is an amazing school! Both of my children are thriving. Their teachers challenge them on a daily basis. They come home happy and are eager to learn. The principal and her staff are all extremely professional and love the children. I can not imagine my children anywhere else. I do not have to worry who their teacher will be the following grade because ALL of the teachers are well qualified, friendly and have a true joy for teaching!

St John The Baptist Catholic School 1

Posted September 20, 2014
This school feels like we are in jail! We have uniforms, which I understand, and we have no freedom. Im an eighth grade and have gone to St. Johns since kindergarten. Elementary school was fine but middle school was horrible. If you are thinking about sending your kid to St. Johns please reconsider because your child will have no fun and will come home everyday depressed.

Posted October 12, 2013
We have been very pleased with St. John's! My son is thriving there, academically, spiritually, and socially. Every one of his teachers has simply been outstanding.

Posted May 02, 2013
St. John's is an amazing school. Students are taught on the level at which they are capable and teachers will challenge them if the student needs to be pushed based on what is shown in the classroom, not what a parent dictates. Students are taught high academics and also guided in their faith, attending a school Mass will show you that students are learning self discipline and respect. Technology is always expanding at the school. Teachers do not have tenure and must work at their best at all times. The principal makes her expectations known at all times and knows that most issues are black and white, but sometimes all lines are blurred and need a case by case decision. The Vice Principal does come across as cold and demanding, but she does help the curriculum stay consistent. The school is amazing, but as with all schools....students must be involved in the classroom and other activities and so must their parents. St. John's has created the environment for learning, but it is up to the students and parents to take advantage of all the opportunities. I can't imagine my children anywhere else.

Posted March 21, 2013
Moving my son to St. Johns last fall from one of the Madison City Schools was simply the best decision I have ever made for him! He is so happy. His reading and writing improved instantly. He is already asking me to stay there through 8th grade! The staff is friendly and professional and everything is super organized. I was given the chance to get involved almost instantly. If you are looking for an excellent private school in Madison St. Johns is top notch and well worth the money spent!

Posted February 22, 2013
We transferred our daughter to St. Johns last fall after being in a Madison City School. Her morale improved instantly. Her enthusiam for learning and grades improved quickly. It was one of the best decisions we have ever made for her. She loves school, her peers and her teacher. Her favorite subject is religion. Mrs. Lewis the principal welcomed us with open arms and is very prefessional. She is no fluff, sets high standards, addresses problems head on but that is exactly how a principal needs to be. Her students are happy and you can tell she truely cares for them. As a result of her efforts they come out as winners. The teachers are all professional, the staff is friendly, the parents are super involved and I have nothing but a warm feeling inside when I drop my daughter off there and look forward to hopefully many more years at this school. It is WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!!

Posted April 03, 2012
We are sending our child back to St. John's after trying out the Madison public school system for a year. The academics at St. John's are solid and most of all, the school teaches self-discipline and respect which is severely lacking in the public school system. We feel the tuition spent at St. John's is a good value and an important investment in the personal and spiritual development of our child. Mrs. Lewis does a great job as principal.

St John The Baptist Catholic School 2

Posted February 09, 2011
Principle and assistant principle are very bureaucratic and they seem very fake. Communication with them is difficult. Teachers are unwilling to push the students beyond an average level. I think that if I'm paying for private schools, supplemental teaching for my straight A student should be expected, but nothing is given. She is not being challenged. Unsure if we're sending our child back next year.

St John The Baptist Catholic School 3

Posted January 26, 2011
St. John's offers an outstanding religous experience. They have excelled beyond our expectations. However, the academic experience has been disappointing. We have experienced the unwillingness of teachers to augment his/her teaching methodology based upon a student's capability or learning style which could maximize the student's learning. We are supplementing our children with services (additional costs) outside the school to keep our children academically challenged. Communications is a massive short-coming on all levels for this school. The principle has been informed of this issue and is addressing it head on. Unfortunately, it is like an onion. You peel back one layer only to find another issue. For a brand new family to the school, transition into the school is difficult at best. One recommendation for the new family is to try to buddy with an experienced family the very first week of school. We are currently exploring other options and evaluating all the pros and cons to determine if we will return next year.

St John The Baptist Catholic School
1057 Hughes Road, Madison, AL  35758
Last modified St John The Baptist Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St John The Baptist Catholic School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top