Heritage Elementary School

Public | K-7 | 690 students

Posted Friday, September 26, 2014

Great school with a wonderful principal and caring teachers. Our children love the school and they are challenged daily in their learning. We would not want to attend any other school!!!

Posted May 12, 2014

My son has attended Heritage Elementary for the first time this year. Being previously homeschooled I was a bit concerned, plus we had just moved from another state. From the beginning his teachers were very supportive and caring. We are almost done with this school year and my son, who is in 6th grade, has performed outstanding. The administration has always worked with me and addressed all my concerns. I was pleased with the principal, administration and teachers I dealt with. I was a bit critical of the rules that were in place at first, like no recess for 6th graders, absences not exceeding 10 days for the whole year, but a couple of month after kids were in school, they added recess after lunch. Not sure if my meeting with the principal and vice principal had anything to do with it. They also worked with me for the absences. I would discard the previous comments about the previous principal because they do not apply anymore. Hope this help!

Posted February 8, 2014

Just so you know the principal that caused all the problems in the spring of 2013 "retired" that summer. The school now has a great principal and things are so much better.

Posted November 8, 2013

I just want to thank all of the honest, constructive criticism about this school. We are a family with two elementary age children, moving to the area next fall, and this has helped narrow our choices down. We will definitely not be attending Heritage Elementary!!!!

Posted June 9, 2013

Honestly I think you guys are missing the point. Although you want to do what I best for your children and focus on the bad things, you should ought to remember the good times. Like field day and pep-rallies.They have clubs that could intrest any of your older kids and also talent shows. The principal made one simple mistake and now people who have never even met her are judging her. .The staff is amazing!!! They are super nice and funny (if you give them the chance).I should know all these things because I AM A STUDENT. Going to sixth grade. Straight A's. Maybe you should ask your children what they think and maybe just maybe they'll see the amazing school you never saw.I am heritage ram.I am going to miss this school like crazy.So many good memories. And is that what you would want your child to walk away with from their last year of elementary school? Because heritage elementary home of the gold and blue rams,will give you that

Posted March 29, 2013

I cannot believe that you aren't celebrating "Easter". Again taking God out of our schools. I don't have any students there, but I am a christian and you all don't consider the christian stand point, just the non-believers. I hope all parents come down hard on your school over this . God IS and always will BE!!!

Posted March 29, 2013

I would not send my children here. The principal does not understand the definition of the word "tolerance". she has decreed that no one may speak the word "Easter", for fear of offending someone. Well, it is much more offensive to deny anyone the right to free speech. Donna Guiffrida ps. I have met the conditions regarding posting reviews, and this should be published. Folks should be informed as to goes on in a school before we enroll our children.

Posted March 27, 2013

What is this school thinking? Easter is a Christian celebration and all kids love the idea of an Easter Bunny, Christian or not. I hope all parents are up in arms and someone gets fired.This country has no good future with people thinking of always taking God out of everything.

Posted February 13, 2013

I have had a son at this school for the past four years. I am considering pulling him out and sending him to one of the areas private schools in the fall. I have toured two of these schools and am amazed. He has had two good teachers and two not so good ones. I feel like we have lost some years and he is in survival mode. He is not being academically challenged and could have learned so much more by this point. The principal and superintendent do nothing when issues come about at this school. The principal plays favorites with certain teachers and parnets. The students are not the principals number one goal, her reputation is. I should have moved my son several years ago. Ready to help save my son!

Posted January 22, 2013

The majority of the teachers at this school are great. The school has lost many teachers over the years due to the horrendous "leadership" of the principal. It's widely known that she is a poor example and only interested in her own self promotion, but she will happily throw the teachers and/or students under the bus if she feels like it will make her look better. Name any other principal you've ever seen who puts up their own "we have a great principal!" signs outside the school. Another reviewer put it perfectly-she changes her mind depending on a whim and then expects the teachers to follow her despite poor communication and a lack of concern for their personal lives. The superintendent has been notified numerous times about her issues, but they do nothing to change the situation, which is why we have lost great teachers to other schools with better leaders/administrators. I want my children to have a great school and with this person in charge, it will never be one. It breaks my heart that these students are only seen as a way for the principal to promote her own agenda, not kids who need an education. I'd give her less than 1 star if I could.

Posted July 24, 2012

We moved our children out of Heritage Elementary and into another school. The leadership, quality of education, communication and cordialness are lacking at this school. We rarely saw updated web sites, class outlines or syllabus of what the kids were doing from day to day and didn t make any improvement even when we asked for the information. Feedback on how the school is performing is nonexistent. I know a great gauge of how you are performing is to ask for the feedback but this school is not concerned with feedback. It would seem the only feedback they are concerned with are SAT scores because those are often required. With SAT testing reduced due to budget constraints, I fear there could be virtually no accountability at this school.

Posted March 7, 2012

As a Heritage parent for 5 years, I am concerned with the current condition of Heritage. I agree with the recent reviews of the leadership, front office and some of the staff. The current principal is not effective anymore. We have had wonderful teachers through the years, but again a lot of them have left Heritage . I think 5th grade is strong year but 6th grade has been less than great. They will NOT be prepared for Middle school. If you have a child in the younger classes there, I think there are still effective teachers. Discipline is rare-bullying is said that it is not tolerated, BUT nothing is done when it is present. I know first hand. If not for the wonderful parents, Middle & High school and nice neighborhoods--this school would NOT be on my list to go to. One bad review I can see but this many..someone needs to take notice!!

Posted February 13, 2012

I agree that the leadership of this school is substandard. I am very disappointed in this school after two years. The staff in the school in extremely UNFRIENDLY when you enter. You are rarely greeted, often times ignored. The principal seems to never be around or involved in the daily affairs of our children. She definitely seems to be only concerned with her reputation than actual learning. The teachers do seem to fly by the seat of their pants. They teach to the tests and do not push the students who need a little extra challenge. The PTA might as well be non-existent as it is about as useless of a PTA I've ever seen. The meetings last 30-60 SECONDS! There is no communication, no updating of websites; basically, give us your money and let us spend it, we might tell you what we do with it. I would think twice before buying a house in this school district.

Posted June 11, 2011

The leadership at this school is substandard and most teachers are flying by the seat of their pants with little direction from the top down. The school seems to be more concerned about their protecting their image versus being real and doing what is in the best interest of the children. Sat test scores are the priority while they ignor the importance of educating each childs individual needs such as social, emotional, and physical development. If you get a great teacher, you may be ok, but word has it that most of the good teachers fled to other madison schools because of favoritism being exhibited by the principal. An overhall in the leadership and administration at this school is what is needed to turn the ship around. The five star stuff as well as most of the 5 star reviews are all smoke and mirrors. This is the reason why many parents are choosing alternative means of educating their children such as private school or home schooling. It is unfortunate, because with the right leadership and administration, it could be a much better school. The school is in a good area and district that deserves much better.

Posted April 15, 2011

I have noticed through the years that Heritage seems to teach the students up to the SAT testing days and then instruction falls off dramatically. Many days are filled with board game days, field days, weeklong pay camp, etc. It seems like the final SAT testing day is the finish line at Heritage and then the school coasts into the summer break.

Posted April 1, 2010

My son is in first grade in this school and he is doing great.He likes his school and he is an excellent student.His teacher is wonderful and I credit her a great deal for her good work.I would not want my child to be anywhere else

Posted May 12, 2009

I loved Heritage and the majority of the teachers we came in contact with. Dr. Davenport was always professional, responsive, and caring when it came to my son! My son and I both miss the school! I hate that we had to move to another school district!! Heather and Chance Wilson

Posted May 9, 2009

Heritage is a great school from the outside...once you enter you will find out it's not all it's cracked up to be. Most of the parents and subs run the school with out question. The principal shows favoritism among parents, teachers, and students. I do not think she does a good job standing behind and supporting her teachers. Her ideas and goals for the school changes as often as the wind blows. I don't think the administration does a good job of making the students responsible for their actions. I think they are too easy on the students which does not prepare them for the real world!!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 17, 2009

I love this school! I've taught for about 20 years at many different schools. This has been my best experience! Dr. Davenport LOVES children and expects teachers to do the same. The character education program is amazing. Wish my own children had gone to this school for K-6. Love it!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 6, 2009

Overall, I like Heritage, but I feel like the principal doesn't do a whole lot about parental concerns. She comes across as very proud of herself and her ideas and makes others feel as though their opinions don't matter. That doesn't make for very happy parents because we all know how we feel about our kids! A little empathy goes a long way. I also have a big problem with punishing the innocent along with the guilty. My child was badly hurt by another child at school. When he defended himself just to get the other child to stop, he was punished as well. I don't agree with this, but we've continued to tell him to defend himself, even if he gets in trouble. The after-school program at this school is also in dire need of an overhaul, but that is another story for another day!

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 93% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2013.

All Students88%

Special education84%
General population98%
Poverty83%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students87%

Free lunch eligible73%
Poverty76%
Not poverty100%

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

All Students98%

• Dr. Georgina Pipes Nelson
Fax number
  • (256) 772-6580

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now