Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

This is our first year at Columbia and we are very pleased with our child's teacher, the administration and overall support we have received during this difficult transition.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Some are amazing; but the bad outnumber the good by a lot. The biggest qualifier for the teachers is if they went to the city's high school.

Amount of homework: Agree

It averages out; some teachers give no homework, while others give way too much. Homework is usually irrelevant to kids; bunch of test prep.

This school has poor teacher/student, teacher/parent, & administration/parent relationships. There's a lot of negative teachers who don't like children or people in general. We have had a few good teachers; but the bad outweigh the good by a lot. Test scores are great because parents are highly educated & parents are forced to make kids do a lot of test prep homework. Principal thinks teachers can do no wrong. It's really sad that he respects my husband more than me & will respond to him simply because he's a man. We bought our home in this district because of previous good administration, and now we wish we were elsewhere. It's a shame that our kids' childhoods are spent at this school. One in particular killed my daughter's happy spirit. Other schools in area are much better!

Pros: some great experienced teachers. Assistant principal is wonderful. Lots of great extracurricular activities. Cons: A LOT of new teachers who don't like children & are unprofessional. Principal doesn't handle situations or care. Office staff is unfriendly.

There is a very small group of good, qualified teachers at this school. However, most of them are fresh out of college and inexperienced. They lack the basic knowledge and professionalism to do their jobs effectively. The teachers do not even appear to like children. The main qualifications for hiring teachers at this school and this system are that they attended the local high school and/or are the relative of someone in the system. Bob Jones grads and Madison County system admin apply only please. Nepotism and favoritism are rampant throughout Madison City! There are three pairs of mother/daughter teachers at this school alone! The communication from administration down is atrocious! Emails are not returned and requests for conferences are questioned. There have been four principals within the last five years. Our current principal is disingenuous at best. This is his first year as a principal and he does not have an elementary background. By far, this is the worst school and system that my children have attended. The belief MCS hires the best, most experienced teachers and administrators as well as is one of the top educational systems in our area is a myth!

The facility is nice, but I WOULD NOT recommend. My son's first grade teach, Kim Adams, was absolutely HORRIBLE! I went to the principal hoping to get a resolution with my problem, but he WAS NO help at all.

Great school for my grandson. He is adjusting well with kindergarten and looks forward to school everyday!

This school is awesome. The teachers are stellar, being able to know what my daughter does every minute of every day is also nice.

I am so happy that my children attend Columbia Elementary School. The teachers and school staff are top notch. This school encourages parent involvement and that makes it feel like a school family.

Last modified Columbia Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.