Madison, AL

Columbia Elementary School 1

Posted December 17, 2013
The facility is nice, but I WOULD NOT recommend. My son's first grade teach, Kim Adams, was absolutely HORRIBLE! I went to the principal hoping to get a resolution with my problem, but he WAS NO help at all.

Posted October 24, 2013
Great school for my grandson. He is adjusting well with kindergarten and looks forward to school everyday!

Posted September 26, 2013
This school is awesome. The teachers are stellar, being able to know what my daughter does every minute of every day is also nice.

Posted April 22, 2013
I am so happy that my children attend Columbia Elementary School. The teachers and school staff are top notch. This school encourages parent involvement and that makes it feel like a school family.

Columbia Elementary School 4

Posted April 17, 2011
Columbia Elementary has been a good school for our kids. This last year, a new principal came into place and he seems to be very kind and good at his job. I really don't have anything negative to say nor do I have anything glowing to say. Our children have GREAT friends, so that means alot to me that the kids are surrounded by other kids from nice families. It really is a great community. When shopping around for a house here, we would speak to various neighbors and we heard many times that when the schools were redistricting the Columbia parents demanded their kids be able to stay at Columbia. It's the community that makes Columbia great as well as the teachers. Just nice, every day people who love our country and community.

Columbia Elementary School 4

Posted September 03, 2010
It was a bit of a shock to move my child from a private pre-school to a public school because she was well ahead of the kindergarden level, so the first year was challenging for her behavior wise. So, while she loves her school and teachers, so I disappointed that there is not more emphasis on helping kids continue to progress that come into kindergarden knowing how to read and write. She was often very bored and therefore got into a lot of trouble for talking and distracting other kids. The teacher communicated to me that she thought she was bored, but there didn't seem to be any actions taken to challenge her. So, she didn't really learn anything new in kindergarden. In fact, I think she regressed in her writing skills because they didn't practice as much as in her previous school.

Columbia Elementary School 1

Posted May 25, 2010
I have had 2 children attend this school and overall it is ok. However, my child was in 4th grade this year and his teacher J. Lanier was horrible. Her lack of communication about coursework was appalling. The students RARELY had home work so you never knew what was being taught in the class until graded papers were sent home. She never posted assignments or sent correspondance even if requested. Very negative, disappointing educational experience. My child learned very little if anything at school this year. My rating is based soley on this year's experience. My overall rating for the school would be 3 stars.

Columbia Elementary School 2

Posted March 21, 2010

Posted March 04, 2009
I have 3 kids at this school and we have had amazing teachers every time. Mr. james is an amazing, caring and progressive principal. The education and teachers are phenomenal. With the new zoning we may have to change schools and that saddens me to the point that we may move to another house in order to keep our kids at Columbia. I don't want them at any other elementary school. I have nothing but praise for all that they do for the students.

Columbia Elementary School 3

Posted January 17, 2009
Overall it's disappointing. The facilities and leadership from the principal standpoint are excellent. However, many of the teachers would rather be someone else. We've had a string of very below average teachers who have other priorities than what is best for the kids. There are some good teachers, though. We just don't seem to get them for our son. The system is not all they say they are. They submit the applications for all of the honors they get. But it generally has nothing to do with the quality of education. The cafeterial 'health food' policies are way over the top as well.

Columbia Elementary School
667 Balch Rd, Madison, AL  35758
Last modified Columbia Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Columbia Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top