Madison, AL

Posted May 22, 2014
Horizon is a wonderful school for my granddaughter. She learned a great deal this year and that "light" appeared toward math and reading. I'm not 100% sure it was a light, but, I am sure that her teacher, Mrs. Coker, did a marvelous job, providing my granddaughter knowledge and skills to excel to the next grade. Thank you Mrs. Coker.

Posted May 03, 2014
My 2 oldest attend horizon and both havr IEP, s. The special ed department along with the amazing staff have worked so hard to help my children. Tesa hernandez is by far one of the best educators I have ever had the pleasure of working with. The school is top notch from the administration to the PTA. Thank you ALL for the selfless commitment you have to my children! !!

Posted March 04, 2014
Have the utmost respect for Horizon! They consistently hold the children to high standards while allowing them to function outside the box to assist in meeting their individual needs. The teachers and administrators are top notch. Mr Richardson has always been responsive to any issues. Special needs staff are phenomenal. Curriculum is appropriate and tailored to become more challenging as needed. Lots of energy and planning goes into preparing 5th and 6th graders for the middle school transition. My older son attended 6 years and my youngest son will have attended K-6. We have 1&1/3 year left there and this makes me sad. I can't say enough about our positive experience at Horizon Elementary!

Horizon Elementary School 3

Posted May 17, 2013
My children assisted this school for 2 years until just 2 months in to the 2012-2013 school year. I have nothing, but praise for Mrs. Hern ndez! She is the best 4th grade teacher yourchild could have and Mrs. Segrest is another great example of what a really good teacher is all about. Unfortunately my son's second grade teacher Mrs. Chance ruined most of the good vision that I had of this school. Although, I will not generalize just because of one. Never had my son had ANY sort of problems in school, but for some reason she would portray him as the most awful student there was. My son always loved going to school, that is until he started second grade with this teacher. My family and I moved to another location not within the school zone, week later, she had already notified the prinicipal in order to have them removed from this school. But you know what? THANK YOU MRS. CHANCE! Because now thanks to you my kids are in an awesome school enviornment, with REALLY great teachers who have nothing but praises for both of them and have gained great friends. My son is back to loving to go to school :) If you are able to have your child assist any school, it should be Heritage Elementary!

Posted September 03, 2012
My son and i love this school! They offer so many opportunities for the students. The staff are understanding of each childs needs. You can easily walk in and be greeted and and helped with accordingly. They have and offer higher standards than most schools in the area that I have looked into. The staff teaches the students valuable lifes lessons as well as following up with them after they leave school for the afternoon. The parental involvment with this school is tremendous! And it wouldnt be as great as it is without them! Thank you for a fine establishment as well as a benefit to the students overall needs!

Posted December 23, 2011
My kids love it and so do we. I have three kids going there and we've loved each of the teachers they've had. The gifted teacher, Ms Bero, introduces the kids to lots of opportunities and subjects. I've never seen any discipline issues. All of the kids there seem to fit in and seem to be learning at the appropriate level if not higher.

Posted July 19, 2011
My daughter just finished 6th grade at Horizon. We moved to Madison in 1991 and we saw Horizon built from ground up. We sticked around our house because we want to make sure when we have children, they will go to Horizon. It has been an excellent experience. My daughter is not the top, but she score 10th grade reading when she is only 3rd grade. When she finished 6th grade this year, I bought the 7th and 8th grade Math text book and she is able to answer the questions with little assistance. Parental involvement /support and PTA are great. Ms Johnson (parent), Ms. Green (parent), Ms. Rock (parent) help Ms. Vandagriff coach the Math team. The team won several awards. Ms. Bero does an excellent job for the ACE students. The Principals (all of them that is or were in office while my daughter is in Horizon) are great leaders. The teachers are all great. They all have different styles, but they are all well versed with their subject matter and enforce strict rules. Could not think of anything bad to say about the school.

Horizon Elementary School 4

Posted April 25, 2010
We're finishing our second year here and it's been fine overall. The teachers seem strong academically, but some are rigid and some more flexible with classroom behavior and style. Gifted enrichment is very good for pullout - wish they had more than one or two hours per week. Great extracurricular programs but most only start at 4th grade and above - wish there were more for the younger students as well.

Horizon Elementary School 0

Posted April 01, 2010
Horizon Elementary started off as a great experience. My daughter has been there since the beginning and she is now in the 4th grade. The last 2 teachers she has had were awful! They focused more on trying to be a peer with her rather than setting boundaries. Once a child treats them more like a peer, rather than a teacher, then and only then do they choose to get parents involved. The children run loose all day long without adult supervision. On many occasions I have gone to the school, only to find children roaming aimlessly in the hallways. I moved to Madison just because of the 'great' schools. I have been sadly dissappointed. I am now relocating because it is ridiculous to pay to live in Madison for the schools when the schools are only going to let you down. Case in point, Discovery Middle.

Horizon Elementary School 3

Posted November 03, 2009

Horizon Elementary School
7855 Old Madison Pk, Madison, AL  35758
Last modified Horizon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Horizon Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top