Bob Jones High School

Public | 9-12 | 2162 students

Posted November 18, 2013

My high school was Bob Jones High School, and I absolutely loved it! The principal is an amazing guy, you would never hear a negative word about him. I am proud to be a Bob Jones Patriot!

Posted September 24, 2013

Bob Jones High School is just great. I have a brother who got a half-time scholarship from track just after one year and he is now a senior in a college in KY. I was at Bob Jones for my freshman year then transferred to another school in Harvest (will not state) and Bob Jones had twice the amount of AP and advanced classes then the other school. I had transferred late at the school in Harvest and the teachers did not help at all when I asked for help. I did unexceptionally horrible there. So I think I had made the best choice of my teen years and went back to Bob Jones. I'm not just saying this because it seems like everyone does and as if I wanna quack like a duck too but I HIGHLY recommend this school to ANYONE!

Posted September 13, 2012

I'm both a Bob Jones teacher and a parent of two current students and a BJHS graduate. This is, hands down, the absolute best school I've ever seen. The students are well behaved and conscientious, the academics are top notch, and the teachers truly care about student well being and the quality of instruction that they bring to the table. We ask a lot of our students and they deliver.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 3, 2012

Hey! I graduated from Bob Jones in 2009, I went to three different high schools and Bob Jones was my favorite. Mr. Parker is always involved and always walking the halls. The teachers are beyond awesome. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted July 30, 2011

I moved to Madison, Alabama during my junior year because of my father's job. When I moved to Bob Jones High School, I was really impressed with what they had done. A lot of parents complain about how the school is too small, their children not being able to get proper help from teachers, their children not fitting in with other students, and finally transferring them to a different school. However, I came from Lawrenceville, GA. The schools I have transferred to in Georgia had just as many, if not more students and there was still absolutely no problem for a student to get help from their teachers. While attending Bob Jones, I also noticed that those who complained about getting horrible grades were the ones that simply would not ask questions during, after, or even before class. Now the bit with the parents who moved their children because they cannot fit in. That is just plain asinine and horse hockey. Within the first week of moving to Bob Jones High School area, I managed to become friends with almost the whole school. Bob Jones is an absolutely great school, and the parents that complain need to actually attend the school first instead of simply listening to their children.

Posted July 30, 2011

Bob Jones is a remarkable school. I graduated with a scholarship, simply because I found my niche. This is open to all students, and none are neglected. I have spoken with students complaining about F's, but they never once sought help from the teacher. It is not the teacher's job(as they are preparing you for college) to offer assistance. I have also witnessed a new student be rejected by the crowd that "looks like them", but refuse to even try to talk to the rest of us. The techies wore black in preparation of a show, but we were overlooked by new students, almost as if they were afraid of us. I even made efforts to befriend a new student, who took one look at the stage paint on my pants and decided I wasn't good enough for her time. I offered her a glimpse into one of the many "families" at BJ and she turned up her nose. A week or so later, I found out that she had switched schools, claiming that no one would speak to her. So, knowing this, parents should experience life at BJ for themselves before making irrational claims on behalf of their children, when, in fact, those students refused to put forth an effort in "fitting in" or excelling in their studies.

Posted June 18, 2011

Moving to area because of BRAC. A counselor was 20 min late for appointment. During the meeting, counselor told my wife that if people like you guys would quit moving to Madison, we would not have the problems that we are having.

Posted May 24, 2011

Two of my sons have graduated from BJHS. It truly is a fantastic school. The principal, Mr. Parker, is exceptional and a number of teachers (chemistry, drama, german, spanish, landscape design, counseling) were personally involved in their lives, not just for academics. BJHS excels in band, drama, foreign langauge, athletics and core academics. My experience has found 12+ graduates per year were awarded National Merit Scholar. Every school has areas to improve, but BJHS was everything I wanted in a high school for my kids.

Posted July 3, 2010

I attended bob jones all 3 years and had an excellent experience.There are a few places that need improvement. It is easy to get looked over by the administration if you're not normally in the office but most people don't get further in life by knowing the principal by first name. The school is crowded but THAT IS NOT THE SCHOOL'S FAULT. That has to do with the school system.The teachers are top notch for the most part . I felt that sending me to BJHS was one of the smartest things my parents ever did. Bob Jones does have clicks, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER HIGH SCHOOL IN AMERICA! The school is so well off because the parents in madison work hard and there is one HS. BJ deserves the great reputation it has.

Posted June 15, 2010

As a graduate of the school, I feel like I was excluded from the purpose of instruction. The teachers were concerned about their favorites and the smart kids. Kids that struggled and begged for help never got it. I wish I had attended another, less consumed institution.

Posted April 1, 2010

An excellent school with great staff and amazing activities such as drama band and chorus.

Posted March 2, 2010

I graduated 3 years ago from Bob Jones High School. While I was there, I did not know how lucky I was to attend a school like BJHS. I am in my third year of college, and there are still people who say, 'You went to Bob Jones? Wow you're lucky!' There were so many opportunities at BJHS and it was nearly impossible to not find your 'niche.' I would not trade my education at BJHS for anything, and am forever grateful.

Posted January 19, 2010

The school is over crowded and given to much credit. The only reason it performs is because it has money and a million kids. I sent my child to this school for her sophomore year and I transferred her to Buckhorn to finish out high school. Bob Jones is a GREAT school don't get me wrong, but there is just too many kids and the commounity is very closed minded.

Posted October 23, 2009

The school excels in most areas, education, athletics and takes a lot of honors. Originally to have been named for James Record, former Alabama State Senator and Madison County Commission Chairman, Record suggested that it be named after U.S. Representative Robert. B. Jones. Bob Jones is now the largest school in Alabama it is widely reported and a second school in Madison will be built to ease the over crowding.

Posted October 7, 2009

Voted in the Newsweek Magazine for the 3rd. year in a row in the top 10% of the schools in the nation.

Posted September 12, 2009

I think the school is way over crowded. My daughter hated going every morning, because she said there were too many clicks at the school. I eventually moved her to a new school were she loves going and the kids and staff are more friendly.

Posted August 13, 2009

I graduated from BJHS in 2007 and feel that I had a very well-rounded high school experience. I was able to take advantage of honors classes and AP courses that paved the way for my success in college As some other reviews have mentioned, most students do choose to take advantage of advanced college-prep courses. I did feel obligated to take AP classes. However, if it were not for the expectation to do so, and the high standard of excellence, I would never have known my potential. After taking academically demanding classes at BJHS, transitioning to college level classes was no big deal. The teachers are amazing and most have master s degrees. Bob Jones has very highly qualified teaching staff, and National Board Certified teachers in all departments. . BJHS has a variety of electives to choose from, so that students can explore their interests. The after school activities for clubs and sports are almost overwhelming in the number of things a student can get involved in. There enough things to get involved in at BJHS, that there is a niche somewhere for every students to fit in! Madison City does need to build another high school because of overcrowding, and I believe that plans are in the works. When I attended we had approximately 1,500 students and now the numbers are closer to 2,000. (At one point there was an attempt to make staircases either up-only or down-only to control the traffic.) My favorite classes at BJHS were Physics with Mr. Duvall (former engineer turned educator), Choir with Mr. Fields, AP English with Mrs. Boggs, and Calculus with Ms. Tartar(she could probably make a pet rock be able to understand the material because she was so good at teaching)!

Posted July 22, 2009

School excels in all areas. In the Academic field, in the arts and in athletics. All areas are nationally recognized.

Posted November 14, 2008

The school has great teachers, exept for a select few, and an excellent office staff. The student's all have high GPA's which makes it hard to get a good class ranking. The majority of the kids are snobby and close minded, it's not easy to make friends due to everyone belonging to a clique. The halls are literally jam packed with kids.

Posted November 8, 2008

I currently go to this school and overall it's pretty good. Every single teacher I've had at BJHS, with the exception of one I had last year, have been great! Mr. Parker is a great principal and does a great job at running the school. The only complaint I have is that it's so overcrowded! We have a little over 2,000 kids now- way too many! So please, people of Madison, I beg you to pay the taxes they keep asking you to pay so we'll have money to build more schools that you keep refusing to pay, because you're killing all of us students! We have no room in the hallways! (I once had a near-death experience trying to get up a stairwell in a traffic jam- and believe me, we have traffic jams all the time!).

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 95% in 2012.

734 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Language

The state average for Language was 75% in 2012.

733 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

732 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2012.

734 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2009.

652 students were tested at this school in 2009.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 71% in 2012.

735 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % passing

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama High School Graduation Exam (AHSGE) to test high school students in reading, math, language, biology and social studies. High school students must pass the AHSGE in order to graduate. The AHSGE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 98% in 2012.

751 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Language

The state average for Language was 90% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 95% in 2012.

751 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 94% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 94% in 2009.

678 students were tested at this school in 2009.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 90% in 2012.

All Students98%

Non-migrant86%
Poverty65%
Non-poverty90%
Scale: % passing

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students99%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 16%N/A56%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

650 Hughes Rd