Midland City Elementary School

Public | K-4

Posted August 2, 2013

Every since our family has moved to Alabama, the schools are very different from where we came from. My son attends Midland City Elementary. He has ADHD an is very hyper at times,he suffers with extreme asthma. The staff is caring, in the words of my son "It's my home away from home". As a parent that's the best feeling in the world, to hear from child. Midland City Elementary is a wonderful school.

Posted May 24, 2009

As a parent, I have to say that I am very pleased with MCES! Overall the teachers/staff have been nothing but wonderful! I remember when my child started 2 yrs ago this school was ranked a 4. Since Mr. Baker has become principal it is now a 6 and I only see it going up from there! I do agree that there should be more parent involvement, but I know that Mr. Baker has taken the steps to make sure that happens in the years to come! Great job Ms. Moyse ~ a wonderful 1st grade year with you. I could not imagine MCES without you, Mr. Baker and so many others!

Posted May 5, 2009

My son goes to MCES and im very pleased,Mr. Baker is very good with the kids hey we send ower kids to school to learn the kids should know how to act when they are at school the teachers are there to give the education not to baby sit, i think you guys are doing a wounderful good. Keep up the good work and thanks dearly Mr. Baker and Mrs. Hall 2nd grade Ms. Wells

Posted May 21, 2008

As a parent of a first year student I have to say that I have been very satisfied. My child has learned; did well on the state tests and was happy. Mr. Baker seems to really care about the students. Ms. Jackson, thanks for a great first year. If there were more parent involvement, things would be even better. One suggestion would be for the teachers to be more diligent in scheduling parent-teacher conferences. However, I will say that at any time that we had a concern Ms. Jackson was always willing to meet with us.

Posted April 8, 2008

I am a singel mother of three kids and I have to say that MCES is the best school that they have gone to. My kids have been makeing A's thise year and the school is focased on the kids lerning not playing and I like that My 2 greader is able to read on a 3rd gread level. And the Principal is greet to . He caers about the kids.

Posted January 16, 2007

Our family moved here mid-term of last year. Since then we have discussed moving our child to private school. The school is so far behind her previous school it is terrible. She still hasn't reached the level in curriculum she was is previously. It has been a year. That is the hard truth. They barely go outside for recess and I have encountered many abrasive teachers.Her teacher this year has been absent at two pto meetings and never schedules parent teacher conf. Sad but true. We are not pleased.

Posted June 2, 2006

Let me say that my son attended MCES and loved it. They teach and make kids behave. There should be more discipline in other schools as there is at Midland City and we all would be better off. Good job MCES and keep up the good work.

Posted April 23, 2006

I am a hurricane katrina evacuee from Mississippi. I moved to Midland City partially because I heard the schools were good, but I do not feel this. The teachers at this school that I have dealt with are cruel and have humilated my children within the first month of being here. I am moving as soon as my lease is up so that my children do not have to put through any further trauma. We lost everything from the hurricane and then we are treated as dogs when we get here. The principal is no better. She is too strict and hard on these children. They are not adults yet and wont be for a long time

Posted November 30, 2005

I feel that the administration at Midland City Elementary are sadly lacking in the necessary abilities. The way the students are talked to and treated by the principal, the nurse, and the office clerks really should be looked at. The students at this school are young students and need to be treated as such. They are not in Junior or High school. The majority of the students do not understand why they are treated in such a way. If the principal and others wish to treat the students in such a way they should go to the high school where the students are more able to defend themselves against such blatant verbal abuse as is present at Midland City. The parents are treated badly also.

Posted June 29, 2005

I feel that midland city school is a very good school.That most teachers are doing a wonderful job.I hope that the studnts show and give the new principal the same respect that they gave the old principal.My child has been at this school for four years and has does very well in school.The teachers she has had have done a wonderful job in teaching her.She did not know how she was going to feel about the new principal but once she got to know her she really likes her.She really likes the school,students,and faculty.No school is perfect everybody has to work together to make it a wonderful school.Ihope when my child leaves this school she will like her other schools as good as she has this school.

Posted January 13, 2005

I just want to say MIDLAND CITY schools have a bad reputation.There enrollment has to down.I live in midland city but my children go to dothan.There is no way would let me kids to to midland city schools.

Posted December 16, 2004

I do not feel that the new principal is appropriate for younger students. Her discipline methods include public embarrassment and humiliation to 'motivate' children. Perhaps she should have remained in the high school dealing with older students. I also understand that she was released as principal a few years ago from a different Dale County school. I believe that parents should be contacted prior to discipline of students. I am in support of a strong discipline program in our schools, but think that matters should be investigated completely and not in the presence of other students. Although I have always been a supporter of the public school system, I will be enrolling my child in a private school for the new year.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

82 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

82 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

77 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

77 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students84%

Non-migrant93%
Poverty92%
Non-poverty94%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students90%

• Mr Phillip Lavon Parker
Fax number
  • (334) 983-1638

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now