Millbrook Middle Jr High School

Public | 5-7, 9

Posted September 7, 2013

There is a new principal, some new staff members, and a new curriculum for the 2013-2014 school year. I will wait and see to pass judgment. Two weeks into the year and my son does not have any complaints. The only complaint I have is that teachers do not update their blogs or assignments weekly so I do not know what he has to be studying.

Posted April 23, 2013

Do NOT send your child here! THEY CANNOT TEACH AND DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR CHILD. The teachers make comments about the child if they are a little slow or have a learning disability & that gives fodder for students to use to bully. My child even had teachers in 7th grade that bullied almost as much as the other children. He was failing by Christmas & didn't even catch it by April. The teachers were always calling me to either get him to mind or do his school work. Well, if they had discipline, they shouldn't need me to hold his hand to be sure he doesn't retaliate against the bullying or if the teachers could work with him at his level I wouldn't have to come sit on top of him to get him to do the work. He wasn't doing it because he didn't understand it!

Posted March 20, 2013

Do NOT send your child here! THEY CANNOT TEACH AND DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR CHILD. MY KIDS ARE 3 YEARS BEHIND IN SKILLS BECAUSE OF HAVING GONE HERE. Everything that can be wrong with the administration, teachers all teachers, cafeteria food, Acadmics, Bullying, the ability to learn is all in one place. Millbrook Middle Junior High School. My children suffer daily. It puts so much stress on me. They serve rotten fruit, raw chicken, a cheese sandwich. This is the worst school ever.

Posted September 5, 2009

This school is great! The teavhers care and have discipline . I have been going to this school system through out my life. Thay offer many after school activities such as drama, robotics and art. And they also have an after school tutoring program!:)

Posted November 3, 2008

We have been nothing but satisfied with the quality of education our children have received in the Millbrook school systme. Our children have attended both Prattville and Millbrook schools. We actually left the Prattville school system because it has gotten so over-crowded is suffering because of it. We feel our kids are learning just as much and actually enjoy school more, especially our 5th grader. Maybe 5 or 10 years ago there was a difference in Prattville and Millbrook schools, but today that difference just doesn't exist. Definatley a misconception! We would recommend Millbrook schools to anyone.

Posted October 25, 2008

The junior high side of millbrook has a lack of cleanliness & books.to many kids picking on each other & making other kids feel left out. Only half the teachers there care about the kids in their class but , the rest is only there just to write up your child & get their paycheck and their gone. Sometimes i wish i never would of moved to millbrook

Posted April 6, 2008

I think overall this is a good school. My son likes his teachers as much as any kid would. I do agree that the lack of locker space is crazy. He carries a huge backpack too and from school everyday. The teachers all seem to have web pages where you can check homework assignments and your kid can go for help. Sure the school lacks in some ways but the teachers make up for the books/building etc. They really seem to care about my son's education.

Posted April 16, 2007

Our family moved to Millbrook, AL from North Carolina. We had a choice of moving to Prattville or Millbrook. We made the wrong choice. The school is overcrowded and the teachers are there for only a paycheck. They do not offer any classes such as drama,keyboarding,art etc. Money for the schools are not spent towards the education of your child. Parents are not made to feel welcome. It is very hard to get a teacher to respond to any emails regarding your child. Air conditioner never works. Do not recommend! Go to private school.

Posted March 30, 2007

We are from Louisiana and went through hurricane Katrina the school system here seems to be more challenging than back home overall MMJH & SEHS are good schools and my kids enjoy being there.

Posted March 7, 2007

These schools (Coosada, Robinson Springs, Millbrook Middle/Junior and SEHS) are NOT extremely impressive. I have three kids that have been a part of this school system, therefore, I have dealt with these schools and their administrations for 11-years...I am not extremely impressed. What the principles and office staff lack in personality they do NOT make up for in intelligence. They will hire anybody with a teaching degree! A majority of the teachers are terrific, but there are also TOO MANY who are HORRIBLE teachers. They don't speak ENGLISH, they speak REDNECK! Books are old; the Schools themselves are old; AND they charge $20.00 for a parking space! These schools nickle and dime parents to death! Beta/Golden Key clubs are a joke! the kids sit around playing cards and chess all day! These schools are boring! and they are POOR! one of the poorest school systems in Alabama!

Posted December 1, 2006

I find that this school is very lacking. The principal is not productive or caring in the interest of the school or students. This school is very unresponsive to parent involvement. They are very lacking in the textbook area. The students are made to carry over 50lb backpacks rather than be able to use a locker. I would really like to learn more about home schooling. I am a single mother of three boys, two of which are in school and I cannot afford private school. I truly wish I could, I have been very unpleased with our experience at Millbrook Middle Junior High School.

Posted February 4, 2006

this school system is sadly lacking in academics, arts, sports, and other activities. parental involvement is also lacking but it is encouraged and supported only on a superficial level by the school administration. the problems seem to begin at county and city government levels and much of the public appears unaware. my spouse and i grew up within strong school systems, we know what other school systems in other cities and counties have to offer, and we know what we should reasonably expect for our children. we have not seen any real progress over several years, and we are seriously considering moving to another community so that our kids will have access to those things that should be commonly available in any healthy school system. this is not a healthy and thriving school system.

Posted December 30, 2005

I think this is the best school I have ever been to in my whole entire life! There are so many activities I could participate in. I'm only in 6th grade and have been here since 3rd grade. There are clubs you would want to be involved in, like beta club, and there are even sports that are really cool like cheerleading or dance team. Also, there is band in 7th grade. I think that parents should lighten up on the school comments because there are so many things we kids could do here at millbrook middle/junior high. I love it here, and it is AWESOME! Go mustangs!

Posted December 7, 2005

My wife and I found this school to be unresponsive to parental involvement. The Administration seems hostile and unconcerned with the student's needs. I have two daughters currently in this school and I am seriously considering home schooling them due to the unprofessional actions of the staff and the students extremely low scores on national tests. This school is recognized in our community and by our state as being in severe trouble academically.

Posted October 6, 2005

The lack of textbooks is deplorable. How can you expect a student to study or do homework without being able to take the text home? The reason for the lack of text is the lack of money. The bottom line is that you get what you pay for here. My job requires me to move so my five kids have been to numerous schools all over the country (and in a few other countries). The teachers here are among the best but the resources are undoubtedly the absolute worst. If you really want your child to get a good education in Elmore County I have two words for you: 'private school'

Posted September 13, 2005

There are some great teachers here, but the quality of books is unacceptable. Not alot of things to do after school, and usually you have the same 4 or 5 parents helping with everything. My children kept an A or A, B average, but I did not feel they were challenged enough.

Posted May 26, 2005

After having our child at MMJHS for the past two years, we are having to really bite into the family budget and put him into private school. I can honestly say he had one teacher who truly cared. I felt that the others and the guidance staff could have cared less. My child used to carry A and Bs before coming here. He only struggled with one subject before but he was making strides. Now it is everything. I wish everyday we had never moved here.

Posted April 11, 2005

My twins were in the 8th grade at the 'Junior High' half of MMJHS last year.I never had any complaints about this section.The kids did well and the teachers were good.My youngest is in the 'Middle School' section.His 5th grade teachers were awesome.Not too enamoured w/ his 6th grade teachers. His grades are good and he's learning,though.I am disappointed about the quality of schools here.We are a military family and have been all over the country,only to bring our family back to my home--&what I feel are substandard schools.We moved to Millbrook rather than back to Montgomery when my husband got stationed here again because everyone warned us of Montgomery's schools,which I grew up and excelled in.(We had art and music then.)The PTSO at MMJHS is also a disappointment.I think your experience of this school will be whatever your child manages to make of it. I neither love nor hate it.

Posted March 12, 2005

This school is great. I'm in seventh grade an di've been here since 2nd grade. They have lockers in the 5,6,7,and 8 grades. The 4th grade has cubbies. They have great activities such as dance team or cheerleading. I'm on dance team and that makes the expeirence a whole lot better. This school is absolutly AWESOME! Any one who see that, isn't looking hard enough. My teacher, Mr. Platt, taught me to look outside the box. I don't think anyone really knows how far that can really get someone.

Posted March 3, 2005

I attended MMS. There wasn't a teacher I didn't like. I'm an educator now and often think of what my former teachers would do in situations. I find myself relating to my students' parents the way my teachers related to my mother- with respect and concern. I know Mrs. Hicks, Mrs. Steele, Mrs. Kyser, Mrs. Pierce, and others still teach there. I've had a sister in the school recently and I know she loved it too. TEACHERS need parental support and encouragement. People are quick to criticize. Unless you are in education, you have no idea what teachers are 'served on their plates!' Our plates are full! Go to the Board of Education if you want more activities. I'm sure the teachers wish they were able to offer music, art, and other activities. If you are unhappy with the leadership- go to the BOE. Support the good teachers. They are GOLD!
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 93% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2013.

All Students83%

Not migrant86%
Poverty80%
Not poverty94%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students65%

Not migrant85%
Poverty81%
Not poverty90%

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

All Students73%

• Mr Stephen Paul Mckenzie
Fax number
  • (334) 285-2102

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now