Mobile, AL
Students enrolled: 2,285

Posted June 15, 2014
Outstanding! My grandchild just finished his Freshman year!!! The art and theater program are amazing. Musical chorus and band are the highest rated in the state!

Murphy High School 3

Posted May 21, 2014
Murphy could be a great school with better leadership. The principal and counselors will not respond to calls or emails from parents. They have several great AP teachers that put alot of time in with their students. Unfortunately, the administration does not support them in disciplining the students and maintaining a good learning environment. There are way too many fights. The diversity of the students is an asset and will help students later in life. Murphy has a beautiful campas dispite the tornado repairs that are taking an extreme amount of time. If you are looking for scholarship money for college, you are on your own. The students get little or no guidance in this area.

Posted December 31, 2012
Fantastic School, The panther pride and sense of family among the students and faculty are like no other school experience. My family has been a part of this school since the days of Barton Academy and now I am a teacher with 2 students who attend this school. As a parent, former student and now a teacher, I wouldn't send my children anywhere else!!!! I have been apart of the AP and IB experience, and I can say that the programs truly prepare your child for the real world and the college experience. The diversity of students...Asian, Russian, Indian, White/Black as well as income differences...its a small world with unique experiences which unite and bond everyone together.

Murphy High School 1

Posted March 22, 2012
We took our son out of our district just to attend the IB program here. It was the worst thing we ever did to him. No need to bore you with details. Let me just summarize by saying this school is not a school but a big juvenile detention center, and the IB program is basically a pathetic attempt at beautification. The administration is so overwhelmed that they cannot be bothered with the needs of students who are NOT getting into trouble. There are a few good teachers, but not enough to make it worthwhile. Don't waste a single day of your child's youth, as we had. Avoid this school at all costs.

Posted October 21, 2011
I am a parent. My husband and I attended Murphy High School and our four sons have, as well. They were all AP students. We chose not to participate in the IB program because we wanted a better rounded high school experience. The oldest three received scholarships and have completed their college degrees and the third is on a full scholarship (32 on ACT). I must caution incoming students, however, about the lack of concern the counselors and AP teachers have for getting their students the college credits they are promised. Our youngest took English as dual enrollment. When he got to college he was told the school did not enroll him in the first semester of the course. So, the college did not give him credit for that until he was enrolled the second semester. Therefore, he was not given credit for the second semester (ENG 102) and we now have to pay the expense of that course. Instead of taking responsibility for errors, the counselor and teacher have passed the buck back and forth and even went so far as to blame the college where the students were to be enrolled. Disappointing. Now I can't get the teacher, counselor, principal, or board member for the school to respond.

Posted July 30, 2010
My Son is a Senior in the IB program. He attended a Christian school until his freshman year. The weak will not survive at this school. To say the IB program takes up all their time has not been an issue for him. He runs cross country and track and is in several clubs. It is a great school in a great location with great students. He made a 32 on his ACT which will get him in to almost any college.

Posted May 18, 2009
Murphy is macfreakin awesome. I recently graduated in the class of 2008. If you go to S.S. Murphy, school spirit is almost guaranteed. I participated in the AP and Gifted programs at Murphy and think that the program is so beneficial to the preparation of college. I was more than enough prepared for college. My AP english and economics teachers were part time college professors. I myself made a 29 on my ACT, passed my Government, English, and U.S. History AP exam with 4s. They have a dual enrollment program which allows one to get college credit for high school classes. PLEASE take advantage of this great opportunity because its FREE. Classes that you don't have to pay for in college, credits transfer only and not the actual grade (if they didn't do so well). Extracurricullar activities abound everywhere. I can't go on..but Murphy: 11 out of 10!

Posted September 10, 2008
I attended the International Baccalaureate Program at Murphy and I can say from experience that the education is top quality. As for the non-IB programs, I can only make a statement about them based on the electives I attended, but they're sub-par. Additionally, the facilities are in desperate need of repair.

Posted September 06, 2007
I have two kids at Murphy, both in IB. I agree that IB is an extremely good program. However, I also agree with those who complain that IB students are unnecessarily glorified. (The change in the counselor's attitude once he found out my entering freshman was enrolled in IB was absolutely ludicrous, sitcom-worthy.) I don't like to hear my kids talk about the possibility of 'dropping down' to AP or Honors--especially because it's true that IB eliminates the possibility of becoming involved in the many, many electives and other activities Murphy has to offer. There are many examples of high-achieving kids who dropped out of IB before their junior or even senior year because they wanted a more well-rounded experience, and guess what, they made 30+ on the ACT too and got nice scholarships. And yes, the band is wonderful.:)

Posted August 17, 2007
My son has been at Murphy for one year, since moving from a rural Alabama public school. Prior to attending the rural school, he was in a Private Christian school and the Montgomery Public School Academic Magnet program. After being actively involved in Montgomery Magnet and regular programs with my three children over the past 20 years, I feel qualified to say that Murphy - even the regular program - is of higher quality. Being involved with your child's education, especially by visiting the school and volunteering as your time permits is the best way to be able to accurately rate a school. Another thing to remember when reviewing any school or reading someone else's review is that your child will get out of any school what he or she puts in. Great leaders & college successes have come from even the most chaotic inner city schools.

Murphy High School
100 South Carlen St, Mobile, AL  36606
Last modified Murphy High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Murphy High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top