Bad
Good

Although my kindergartener could read some words & a simple sentence or two in K4...she was reading out of a book to me after the 1st 2 wks in Old Shell Rd. They also put on an awesome performance for the Winter Show! She really enjoys school, and is doing well there.

I have had one child go through this school and one currently enrolled. This school is more like a family than a school. What an asset to the community.

My children were in a private school before they started at Old Shell Road last year. It was a bit of an adjustment for them. New school, New people and the fact that Old Shell just moved into their new building and the staff were still learning their way to operate in a new setting as well. The teachers at Old Shell are amazing people! They helped my children not olny feel comfortable here but also helped them get situated to learn in their new surroundings. This school gives a private school education with more emphasis on dicipline as well. We're not looking back. Our kids are happy and are learning so much! I would recommend this school to anyone.

This school is really put a good care to the children, is not only the test score but their behavior too. The teachers are cool, they have good interact with the children and put in easy for the parent to reach the goal of education, still the children have fun.

My son started old shell road last year as a kindergartener, and my husband I could not be more pleased. The teachers all seem to care about the students and genuinely want them to succeed. Old shell is a small school and as such, all the teachers know who the students are. I live across the county and drive 30 minutes to get to the school one way. I was going to put my son in his "home" school, but we were so impressed with the experience that I don't mind going out of my way to keep him there.

We love this school! I feel for the parent that their expectations were not met. This school is not for everyone and maybe there are greener pastures elsewhere. However, this school was awesome for my child. I have sent a letter to the Mobile County Magnet School system praising this school. I thanked all of the teachers, custodial workers, secretaries and principal for their loving care and education. There is a TEAM effort which flows over to the children. Not only have the employees taught the required education, they have taught social skills through their daily actions. We have truly been blessed by this school. Oh and as for the unhappy parent, well children have to be disciplined and your way might be different. Also teachers do gossip, so do doctors, lawyers, police, firefighters, soldiers and parents. That is something we are all guilty of, myself included. The positive side in all of this is that this is a magnet school and an unhappy child and/or parent can drop out of the magnet school and go elsewhere, your not landlocked. LOLove

I had high expectations for this school after reading the reviews. Unfortunately, it seems as though things have changed drastically. The teacher my child has is wonderful but there are too many students per class which makes teaching and discipline difficult. The principal, IMO is just doing her time, waiting for retirement. She is not friendly and seems very unmotivated and uninterested. The school is a great concept, the arts are wonderful but the atmosphere of the school is rather bleak. What the school so desperately needs is new leadership, someone who is passionate about educating our children and the arts, who can lead by example and inspire the teachers to create a positive learning environment. I have witnessed cafeteria staff talking to children in a hateful manner on numerous occasions, a teacher grab a students arm and berate the child who was only 5 or 6 and lots of teachers gossiping! This is not acceptable! Too much emphasis is placed on test scores and program performances. The children do not even have recess. I really want to love this school, its seems great from the outside looking in but after spending time there it's just an average school with art!

I have 4 children who attend school at OSR. It is unlike any other school in the county. The children achieve academic success while also excelling the the arts. The school is racially balanced and consistently has higher than county and state average test scores. The faculty and staff are wonderful.

I am a parent of a second grade student at Old Shell Road. First of all, I would like to say that the teachers are great at OSR. My son is excelling in academics and he performs very well during the shows that they put on. I love OSR and would recommend parents to try and enroll their child(ren) so that OSR can help prepare them for success. OSR is a wonderful school!!

Last modified Old Shell Creative Performing Art is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.