Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

O'rourke Elementary School
Grateful to: Student

Posted September 29, 2015
My son has taught me how to be patient and understanding, something his teachers and principal need a lesson or two on.

Posted April 07, 2015
My children have been very happy while attending O'Rourke. The teachers really care about their students. I know as a parent many changes are taking place with the Common Core Standards. The skills are harder. Skills that were taught once in fourth grade is now being taught in second grade. I feel that as a parent we need to praise the teachers, but as parents we have responsibilities as well. Teachers only have so many hours in the day. They have 20 plus students in their room. We as parents can not expect teachers to do it all. I remember when I was in school my parents always made sure my homework was done and I understood. I believe we need to praise our educators! The educators at this school are some of the BEST!

O'rourke Elementary School 1

Posted August 22, 2014
I took my daughter out of private school because I felt like public school may have been a better fit for us. After being affiliated with this school for many years, it is most definitely time for us to part ways. This school is based on race and you have to fit a certain kind of life style to be offered any kind of assistance from them. They are not willing to work with children with MINOR disorders and look for other ways to get rid of them. My experience with certain teachers and principal is horrible. They have lost several of the best teachers due to how the principal treats them. I WOULD NOT recommend this school for anything.

O'rourke Elementary School 4

Posted June 05, 2014
I am a student I have read the reviews and I have seen that most of the complaints are about how your child is gifted and not given enough work.Lucky me I am gifted as well.My I came back and am way above average.I am in PACE as I'm explaining but your children are still getting extra work at school if you are gifted and teachers might actually be a little tougher on them if they are.As for your PACE until 3 grade complaints that goes for every school in mobile county .Quad salute to all the military family's with/without children out there you are strong and thank you for what you do.

O'rourke Elementary School 2

Posted October 31, 2013
We are a military family and moving from the Miami area to Mobile, Alabama I knew there were going to be changes to say the least. Then I started to notice the very small amounts of homework being sent home, lack or organization for school work /tests and AR testing was never caught up until the last week of the quarter etc I began to have questions about my son and his schooling. So I asked for a parent teacher conference which all my questions were answered with that s just the way we do things here in Mobile . My son is well above average but nothing is offered for gifted kids below 3rd grade which is sad to say the least. Pretty much if you don t want a kid who s behind you have to do the work of a teacher and teaching as a parent. This school has a very happy and nice staff but when it comes to actually teaching I feel this school is below average.

O'rourke Elementary School 3

Posted April 04, 2013
It's a shame to say that this school is average, but in this country it would be unfair not to. The teachers are sweet and kind but unfortunately aren't really worried about anything except getting those standardized tests up to par. If your child is gifted and isn't in the third grade yet (unable to receive pull out services from PACE) then you can forget about getting anything extra out of the classroom. My child is three years above his grade level in math alone and hasn't received ONE sheet of extra work just to help keep him busy. The school tested his IQ, came back highly gifted, still nothing was offered to him to help him actually LEARN something. Apparently attendance is the only requirement by law these days. I can count on one hand the things that he's learned since he's been here. And the sad thing is that this is typical in Alabama and I know that. I sure wish one of those sweet and kind teachers could make an effort to break the cycle though and put some effort into teaching the children that aren't fitting into the mould the school system has carved out for them. They aren't all the same - just wish mine could have instruction and learning too.

Posted October 28, 2012
Great School! Love the Book parade! One of my kids is now a 6th grader at Phillips Preparatory School and is well prepared to handle the challenges. My two other kids are straight A's as well. Their standardized tests come back above exceed standards. My fourth grader is a great reader and is reading 6th to 7th grade level books. My 2nd grader is reading at 5th grade level. Both their math skills are also exceed standards at the Alabama Reading and Math Test (ARMT). PACE and SECME is something that my kids love to do. There is also great support in music. One of my kids qualified to go to Tuscaloosa Alabama for the All State Orchestra Festival for 3 consecutive years - his instrument is violin. The principal is very supportive and work well with the Mobile Symphony Orchestra.

Posted August 30, 2012
What an amazing school! When we move to a new state, our first concern was all about the best education for our sons. O'Rourke has succeeded our expectations. They help students along, and challenge other students to go beyond their expectations. They have a lot of great programs for the kids ... one being SECME. Also, they provide you with daily feedback on your child's work study and behavior. If you are the type of parent that wants to volunteer you are given that opportunity. I would highly recommend this school against any elementary school out there ... specially thank you to Ms. Davis 1st grade for pushing my son's potential to learn.

Posted September 19, 2011
This school has excellent teachers and is really good for ESL students. Our sons learned to communicate really well and our overall experience with the school has been really good.

Posted March 17, 2011
O'Rourke is a wonderful place! The school environment is very clean and inviting. There are beautiful murals when you first enter the hallways from the foyer. My daughter has made some awesome friends, had outstanding teachers, and gets straight As. The principal is very available and greets the students each morning. The parent involvement is superb. So, if you really want to get involved there are many opportunities for you to do so. Most of all, the diversity of the student body is great for our daughter. We are very pleased with O'Rourke!!!

O'rourke Elementary School
1975 Leroy Stevens Rd, Mobile, AL  36695
Last modified O'rourke Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.