St. Vincent De Paul School

Private | PK-8 | 175 students

Start Small, Think Big! Small Classes, Affordable Tuition, A.O.M. Curriculum!

Living in Mobile

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $110,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $710.

Sweep tile

Posted April 25, 2013

This school is wonderful! It is small, and that is what makes it great. The curriculum is the same as the rest of the Archdiocese...and check out the latest on their website www.svsSchool.org they are the only school in Mobile to be invited to the White House for their robotics accomplishments! Also least expensive Catholic School here!

Posted April 25, 2012

I am a student who goes to SVS. Regardless of the good reviews, this school isn't so great. It may be good for PK-4 grade but once you get into 5-8 the teachers don't teach, we watch uneducational movies most days. The students there are nice and it's easy to make friends, I know this review won't make a big impact if your deciding To go.But if you want to go and your in grade 5-8 I really recommend not going. In 5 th grade all you do is math, social studies and read a lot. Not and science an religion. In 6-8 you change classes, and you may learn a lot in history, literature and English but we haven't opened up our science/math book in over a month. Instead we watch movies that have nothing to do with education. The lunches are horrible too. But if your looking for a school if you want to be social, this is nice to come to. I admit it's nice to everyone since its such a small school but we're learning things I should have been learning years ago. Oh and are you athletic? You have soccer and 2nd grade basketball. You can also join cheer, but it's the worst cheer ever. You do nothing but sit and eat. So many people this year are leaving this school because it's not what you think.

Posted April 25, 2012

I'm a parent.I love this little school! I'm compelled to post this,because a friend told me they saw a negative post here by a child. I find that so sad,I'm sure that child was loved and will be missed.It's a small school, so most sports are a challenge because team size requirements.They compete with whatever teams they have enough players for, in whatever sport they can,and they still win some games! Their robotics program has placed nationaly. I'm sad that child felt th need to insult the cheerleading program. The kids've been very excited about it.The cheerleaders have enjoyed it, the other kids have just LOVED the little pep rallies!The cheer team has gone to a women's shelter, made dinner and performed for the residents. Sweet and thoughtful, trump big and fancy anyday for me as a parent. Again it's very small school (which is one the things WE love about it) they teach don't turn noses up at anyone, and take everyone who wants to be a cheerleader.They use the curriculum selected at the diocese home office, (like all Catholic schools) they're smaller, not sub-standard, and tuition is MUCH less. the principal leads well and cares.They're always adding extras and PTO's amazing!

Posted January 2, 2012

Having taught at SVS for eight years, I am proud to say that I was a part of a very caring faculty. I had also taught in a larger school and was hesitant about joining the staff here, but I was pleasantly surprised by the level of competence and concern of the teachers at SVS. It is a great school in every way. The staff, the administration, the parents, and , of course, the students are the best.

Posted October 8, 2011

I love this little school! We treat children and adolescents, and deal with schools in several states on a regular basis. This school is amazing. It is small, which means anxious kids feel more at ease and all children get more attention. Dealing with principals for 20 years in many states, I can tell you this is a wonderful principal who is a strong advocate and always looking for ways to advance this school and help students. As evidenced by the fact it now has 100% interactive boards. It is part of the Archdiocese so the curriculum is on par with every other Catholic school in the area. The PTO is extrememly active and effective, and works well with the faculty and administration. The Booster Club does an incredible job with sports considering the school is so small, impressive. If you want impressive facilities, accomplished sports, or prestige, then you should pay more and go somewhere else. If that is not important to you...then you are wasting your money paying more somewhere else.

Posted August 16, 2010

This is my first year teaching at this school, and I love it. The staff is very genuine and caring. The curriculum is advanced and the students are very well behaved. I am looking forward to a great year.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 6, 2009

i went to st.vincent for 3years it was horribble the teachers are mean and the prinicpal should not be a prinicpal!!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 7, 2009

Not as good as the Catholic School I attended, but I guess times change. Still it is a good school with good faculty. I am proud my children attend this school.

Posted August 4, 2009

This is a great school with the small school feel everyonr knows my son and because he is bad but because they truly seem to care.

Posted December 19, 2008

It is a fine school. Honestly not as good as the Catholic school I attended 20+ years ago, but my children are still getting a better education than the public system and they are getting decent instruction in their faith. The staff is great. Regardless of what some people write the curriculum is on par as the school is accredited. It is a star in the area.

Posted November 18, 2008

This school is WAY behind in the Curriculum area. And they take money for fundraisers and never provide the product.

Posted November 4, 2008

My children attend St. Vincent de PAul School. I believe it is a wonderful school - a secret in the Tillman's corner area. The administration, faculty and staff are phenominal. It has a family feel, The classes are small and the students get the help and attention they need.

Posted June 1, 2008

My school is absolutely perfect. None of our classes go over 25 kids. We have many extracurricular activities. Just a few that I am in are Natinal Junior Honor Society, Girl Scouts, and Robotics. My mom is on the P.T.O. and she is a substitute teacher. There are many times i am not chosen for things i want. There is no favoritism. I am going into the eighth grade and am very sad that I wll be leaving soon.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 8, 2008

This school has an All-Star line up when it comes to faculty & staff! With the growth of the area they are in, the student numbers have increased, but this school will never loose its close, family atmosphere. The new building is going to be wonderful for our children! Everyone knows one another and looks out for each other and they always have room in their hearts for more, this goes for students, staff, parents & teachers! Top rate education is the #1 goal here, as well as making sure our children are well rounded, christian people. It is the Greatest!

Posted April 10, 2008

Bigger is not always better. As class sizes have increased the teachers and administration have become less focused on meeting the individual needs of each of its students. As a large school without the former community connection that it once had, it is at best an average school.

Posted January 16, 2008

I have had 2 children at St. Vincent and I can attest to the fact the neither one was treated any differently than any other child. My oldest child went to St. Vincent back in the 90's. I worked and didn't have any time to volunteer or help at the school. My son was treated just like anyone child in the school. Now I am a stay at home mom and I am able to help at the school. My youngest son is treated no differently than any other child at St. Vincent. All the staff at St. Vincent truly care and what to help each and every child at the school. There are no favorites played. We are in the process of upgrading and improving our school on a grand scale.Come see how great we are!

Posted October 10, 2007

My children attended St Vincent De Paul for several years. I took my children out of this school because the teachers and staff were not fair. If you worked or volunteered at the school, your kids got preferential treatment. There were several different cliques and if you chose not to belong to one your kids were not chosen for things. It also did not offer many extracurricular activities for the children. I now know that I was crazy to keep my kids here when there are many wonderful private schools to choose from in Mobile.

Posted July 18, 2007

St.Vincents is the 'Little School that rocks'. I used to consider moving to Baldwin county, St.Vincents ( school and church) changed my mind. It's like one big happy family. The big kids look out for the little ones. I wouldn't consider my child going anywhere else!

Posted June 25, 2007

St. Vincent has been the best thing that has ever happened to my children! All 3 attended public school Up until last year. We made the switch to St. Vincent last year, I regret not doing it earlier! All 3 excelled in their classes. St Vincent offers many extra curricular activities for the children to be involved in. The entire staff loves the children and encourages each one to be their very best!

Posted June 20, 2007

My husband and I are very proud to say our son has attended St. Vincents School for the last 7 years and are looking forward to the very crucial 'middle school' age years at St. Vincents. We as a family have made lasting friendships with not only children from all grades, but also with the teachers, staff and even Grandparents of St. Vincents Students. We are a small but caring community that not only strives to give our kids a top-notch education, but believes in teaching our children manners, respect and most of all Faith in God. It has never been an option for us to remove our childs opportunity to have Christ in his School. I encourage any parent considering St. Vincents , to come to the childrens Mass at 8:30 on Friday mornings-Listen to Father Sophie and just look around and watch the children!

Asian 2% N/A
Two or more races 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Archdiocesan Spelling Bee Champion (2011)
  • Archdiocesan Spelling Bee Champion (2010)
  • Archdiocesan Spelling Bee Champion (2009)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Regional B.E.S.T. Robotics Award (2011)
  • East Coast and Regional B.E.S.T. Robotics Awards (2010)
  • East Coast and Regional B.E.S.T. Robotics Awards (2009)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Health & athletics

• Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• National Honor Society

School start time
  • 7:45am
School end time
  • 3:00pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Ms. Mary B. McLendon
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • 251-666-8022
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (251) 666-1296

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Mobile

• Band
Media arts
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor