Bad
Good

I'm very proud to have one child who's already attended and completed Hutchens and one currently entering 1st grade at this school. The teachers and principal are wonderful. They are very interested in how well our children do and work very hard to make sure they're successful.

I love this school! We are active duty military and my child has attended Hutchens for 4 years and we are so impressed with the teaching staff, the principle is amazing, and school activities are fun for both the students & parents. Our child is special needs and the teaching staff that take care of her are so helpful, knowledgeable, and love my child like she's their own. This school has NO bullying problems because the principle knows how to take care of every situation with a sort of firm finesse. Military families will enjoy this school, we are sad to have to move.

I love this school! The teachers are so caring and my son really enjoyed going to school each and every day. The curriculum is challenging but the teachers really go the extra mile to make sure the kids are all up to speed. Both my kids had Mrs. Ramey, she is THE BEST! The parents are really involved which makes a big difference in a school. Highly recommend this school.

Do not ignore test results as the prior review stated. The students take the tests in 3rd grade but the academic content begins when they enter kindergarten. The scores-good or bad-are directly correlated to the education they receive during their first 3 years of school. The school has many programs they use to enhance curriculum such as AR, ticket to read, and Talents Unlimited. The teachers are fabulous and very attentive to the individual needs of students.

No longer goes past 2nd grade, so ignore test results(not for 3-4 yrs). Old principle was great; new one horrible!!!!! (Angry control freak) Students are scared of her, the teachers are afraid to lose their jobs and say nothing. There's no real p.e. at this school anymore- it is recess only, for the most part. They care mostly about AR goals and test results, not what your individual child may need. They protect their own- which can be good- but is often a mistake & lately a lot of parents have been less than pleased. They lean towards wanting to medicate "difficult" kids, & letting those that are above average perform on less than average basis. As long as they are not failing, they do not care. The car pool lines are well planned out. They definitely believe in homework. The general staff is fine. The surrounding area seems safe- but more and more kids are being bused in and this is making for some issues with bullying & in class behavior issues that detract from the learning process. If Dr. Foster would come back, I think that things would be a lot better. There are a lot of parents involved in the school, which is a good thing since there is next to know funding sent here.

Great school and teaching Staff , Principal!!! They really care and work hard to make a dfference.

The lack of leadership from the new principal has had a very negative impact on this school. Teachers do not want to work with parents who want to help their children excel. If your child needs help, the only help they will recommend is ADD/ADHD assessment. My childs teacher only demonstrates handwriting skills on the smartboard. She never returns graded handwriting assignments to the students so the students can see their mistakes and make improvements. The students should just know what their mistakes are and make improvements on their own. Other subjects are basically the same. If a student can not learn from sitting and watching the teacher work samples on the smartboard they will never learn the information.

When our first child was ready to start school my husband and I started reviewing test scores of local schools. We moved from Ms. to Mobile to enroll our daughter in Hutchens Elem. My daughter, now at Causey Middle School, had an absolutely wonderful experience at Hutchens. As Christian parents we were thrilled to hear Dr. Foster tell the children that he prays for them and loves them. The test scores are a reflection of the devotion to the students of Hutchens by Dr. Foster, the teachers, and the parents. I now have a third grader at Hutchens and I feel truly blessed to be part of a school that is preparing my children for a succesful future.

This school is outstanding, and that is in most part of the wonderful man who has been in charge. Dr. Foster has exceptional character and genuinely cares about the students. This led to him choosing an outstanding staff to back him up. The teachers my children had were all wonderful. We have moved on but I will always cherish those days at Hutchens, as it eased my fears of having my children in public school and I realized there are awesome public schools out there. I too am proud to say Dr. Foster had no problem telling us he prayed daily for us and our children. We did the same for him!

I'm very proud to have 3 of my grandchildren attending this school.

Last modified Hutchens Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5