Olive J Dodge Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 1002 students

Posted May 2, 2014

My son attended Dodge from kindergarten through the 5th grade. He absolutely flourished. The staff is excellent. My child has severe food allergies and we never had a single incident there. The education he received was wonderful and allowed him to enter a local magnet school for college prep in the 6th grade.

Posted May 7, 2013

We are just finishing our first year at Dodge! I can not find one single thing to complain about (other than they should hurry and rebuild a new playground). My daughter LOVES her teacher Mrs. Guy. Dr Christ has been wonderful as well. We love Dodge

Posted November 14, 2012

My son has been at Dodge from kindergarten and is now in the fourth grade. Prior to coming to Dodge he went to a private school and he was getting diagnosed with aspergers. His teacher at the private school bullied him to the point he was terrified to go to school and hated school. Halfway through kindergarten at Dodge he was no longer terrified of school or the teachers in fact he loved his teacher Mrs Guy. We did have problems with his 3rd grade teacher concerning communication with us, the parents. Other than that his teachers have all looked out for him and even gone out of there way to help him and keep us informed. He actually admitted over the summer he couldn't wait for school to start! We are moving soon and will hate to leave Dodge and the teachers.

Posted August 7, 2011

I have 3 children who attend Dodge. I absolutely love the teachers and staff, as well as the curriculum. It shows how much they truly care for the children and their education, not just by test scores or their speech, but by my childrens and others behavior toward the school, the staff, and fellow students. I couldn't imagine my kids going anywhere else.

Posted November 30, 2010

a really great to be in my son is in middle school now and he loved this school

Posted March 22, 2010

I hate this school because my son cant get a advanced program.Hes a straight A student and they wont do anything.

Posted November 3, 2009

My child is in 1st grade and I am really disappointed this year with Dodge. There seems to be a problem with bulling and other bad behavior that is not being addressed by the school.

Posted June 21, 2009

I have 2 children at Dodge. I absolutely love it! My daughter will be in the PACE program next year. The teachers have been so sensitive to her development from the beginning that I believe that they are a big part of the reason she will be in that program. My son just finished his first year and I am amazed at how well he reads and is motivated to do his very best. I look for him to move on up to PACE later. Our new principal is fantastic! She has brought some new programs to the school that the kids are very excited about (running club). We are so proud to be part of the Dodge family! Parents are so welcome to be part of the school. We love it.

Posted June 30, 2007

Kristen Rice was our daughter's teacher last year and it was the best experience of our daughter's school life so far. She completely changed the outlook of our daughter and we love her for that. I just hope the rest of her school experience will be that great. Our negative experience was with the school bus and the atmosphere and conduct of the children. The school refused and the transportation department refused to handle the situation.

Posted March 16, 2007

Dodge is a great school. I have 2 children who have attended this school for the past 4 years. My children both love the AMSTI program and seem to have learned a lot using the hands on approach involved with this program. I would recommend this school to anyone as long as you don't need the special education program for 4th or 5th grade.

Posted January 30, 2006

We have been so impressed with Dodge Elementary. There is so much parent involvement. Every teacher that we have dealt with has been great. Parents are truly proud to say that kids attend this school.

Posted January 20, 2006

I have one child that attends Dodge Elementary and have had a great experience with him for the past three years!! I was even considering placing my second child in a magnet school because of his intelligence, but found Dodge to be just as challenging (especially in the PACE program). Our family will be Dodge Eagles for years to come!

Posted September 11, 2005

This will be my sons last year at Dodge and we will be so sorry to leave. He has attended from Kindergarten through 5th grade and has wonderful teachers every year. The PACE,AMSTI and AR programs have been very beneficial, though the limited art & music instruction is disappointing. From the Principal to custodians we cannot find fault in the way this Blue Ribbon school is run. There are numerous opportunities for parents to be involved both in the classroom and with the award winning PTA. The children take pride in their school because the staff are so positive and encouraging behind the guidance and leadership of Mrs. Tillman. We can only hope that middle school is so good.

Posted April 15, 2005

My child has been a student at Dodge for 2 years now, and I have nothing good to say about this school. When it comes to staff, organization, communication, transportation, events, and activities there is a lot of improvement to be had. Im very displeased with the current teacher that my son has. She doesnt address issues as they occur, leaving me unaware of problems my child is having in school, and giving me no ability to help him or find out what the problems are until its too late. He has learned very little this year and is more frustrated than educated. There is no music program, the lunch program is seriously lacking organization, and overall I have seen no reason why I'd want to keep my son at this school for an additional year.

Posted August 21, 2004

I think dodge is a great school. The teacher's there really do take the time with each and ever child to see that they learn what the need to learn. Mrs. Tillman is a great principal. I would recommed anybody to seen there kids to dodge.

Posted April 8, 2004

We have 3 children who attend Olive J. Dodge and they love this school.Dodge has a fantastic staff and a positive learning enviornment which is very beneficial in a childs developmental years.They have a great 'Rolling Reader' program,great lunch buffet and a world of wonderful opportunities lying ahead for your child to experience. My husband and I was renting a home in this district and we had experienced the benefits of Olive J.Dodge and decided to buy the home that we was renting.This school has been reconized as a 'Blue Ribbon School' by Washington D.C. This is all made possible by the principle and staff of Olive J.Dodge. We highly recommend this school to anyone with children ranging from grades K-5.

Posted August 4, 2003

In addition to the facts previously stated by other parents, I have found two important details to point out: the lunches are good {I eat there with my son often} and the AR reading program is quite beneficial. The 'Rolling Reader' program is also a big plus [parents come in to the classrooms to read weekly]. It not only gives the teacher a break but permits children to hear from and interact with other adults. Good Job Dodge Elem!

Posted May 30, 2003

This school was recognized by The Department of Education in Washington as a 'Blue Ribbon School' for academics. The principal is much loved by the parents and students. She is as involved as any faculty member, parent or student at that school. Alabama has a economically deprived school system. But this school, led by Mrs. Tillman, has funded their own computer lab, beautiful playground, built their gymnasium, and offers students incentives for attendance and improved grades. The parents volunteer so much, some things end up on a first come first served basis. It is a community effort at this school. For the most part, we all look out for each other's children's safety. It is absolutely amazing how much the parents and faculty continue to do for the future success of Dodge Elementary. The reputation is outstanding. The facility is clean and organized. Mrs. Tillman runs a very professional, highly respected, elementary school. I can not say enough about this learning institution.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 93% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2013.

All Students83%

Not migrant87%
Poverty86%
Not poverty90%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students86%

Not migrant93%
Poverty92%
Not poverty97%

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

• Dr Suzanne M Crist
Fax number
  • (251) 221-1197

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now