Bad
Good

School board members voted 6-1 to support the implementation of the IB program at MacMillan School at the MPS Board Meeting on Tuesday,February 28th 2014. Thanks so much for showing your support!! For the past several months, the MacMillan staff has been researching and exploring the possibility of applying to become a Primary Years International Baccalaureate Program. The most significant and distinctive feature of the IB Primary Years Program is the six transdiciplinary themes. These themes are about issues that have meaning for, and are important to, all of us. The program offers a balance between learning about or through the subject areas, and learning beyond them. The six themes of global significance create a transdiciplinary framework that allows students to "step up" beyond the confines of learning within subject areas. * Who we are * Where we are in place and time * How we express ourselves * How the world works * How we organize ourselves * Sharing the planet Each theme is addressed each year by all students. These themes provide the opportunity to incorporate local and global issues into the curriculum.

I recently returned to the area, after being away for over a decade. I'm returning with 2 brilliant boys! I was filled with nerves after hearing, less than glowing remarks of the public school system. My nerves were soon calmed upon hearing of MacMillan. I was so excited when my youngest was able to attend. I had heard about and now have witnessed for myself the pure joy, enthusiasm, and encouragement, as soon as you enter the campus, pouring from the principal, teachers, staff, and parents! It's the BEST!

I absolutely LOVE MacMillan. My son has attended MacMillan K-5 and is now entering his first year of middle school. My daughter has attended since K and she is now entering first grade. This school has a lot of love and support not only from the staff & teachers; but the parents as well. The exerience of multi-cultures learning various cultures is wonderful!!!

4 out of my 5 children have gone to MacMillan. I love the way the staff teaches about the different countries and cultures from around the world. They have a lot of projects that help the students apply what they are learning.

We love Macmillan. The principle, the teachers, the over all school, we've had nothing but positive experiences with this school!

I love this school. It is small, fun, and friendly. This is my daughter's first year(K) and she loves it also. The staff is so caring and friendly including the maintanence personnel. It feels like one big happy family. This is a magnet school without all the stress and the kids are happy and eager to learn.

I was an international student in Macmillan International Academy last year,and I think this school is the best all over Alabama. The studies are great too.

THis school continues to impress - the Principal is an absolute delight. He is seen every where and welcomes everyone witha ready smile and open arms. The teacehrs work hard to get the best out of the kids.

Excellent school. I almost didn t enroll my daughter because the neighborhood is terrible. I am so glad I did enroll her. She is very safe (cameras are all around the school, and only authorized people are allowed in). Also, a bad house was demolished, and rezoning is happening, so progress is being made to improve the neighborhood The new principal, Mr. D , is excellent. He is a strong leader who is professional and approachable. The students will have uniforms next year, 2008-2009. I am pleased about that. Also, the teachers are top rate, the school scores are impressive, and the international focus is great. My daughter had projects about Canada, India, and Australia. Each grade learns and presents on different countries. The computer lab is up to date, the new librarian is making great changes, and the Spanish classes are a bonus. I can t say enough about this school.

Macmillian is a great school. This is the first year my son has attended this school.I love that everyone knows each other.It makes the children feel right at home. It is a small school and quaint, which I love!!Teachers are great --Principal is great-- Parents are great --and above all the students are great!!

Last modified Macmillan International Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.