K-12|Private

Bad
Good

MA has spent the past 50 years educating some of the best and brightest young people in the Montgomery area. It provides, in my opinion, the best mix of academics and extracurricular activities (athletic, dramatic, and other types) for its students. Taken individually, in any given year, there are other nearby schools that can equal or exceed MA in a discrete arena here or there, but MA manages to consistently pursue the complete excellence of its students in a way that nurtures their whole selves rather than just their rote-memory command or their ability to run a forty-yard dash. In other words, MA provides an enriching and intimate environment for the boys and girls who attend -- each class member is appreciated for his or her unique set of skills. I look forward to my daughter's someday calling herself a proud MA alumna.

Anyone who says MA isn't one of the finest independant schools in the country hasn't seen enough. As a military family, we chose to enroll our son in the Lower School in 2004. It was the best decision we've ever made. He was only able to stay for 2 years due to us having to move out of state, but for the last 5 years, he's wanted nothing more than to return to MA. This year, we moved back to Montgomery and promptly enrolled him and his younger sister. It was as though he had never left. The students at MA are polite, intelligent and welcoming to new students. The new Middle School Director is probably one of the finest administrators I've ever had the pleasure of working with. The faculty at MA has bent over backwards to ensure our two children feel welcome and safe. The academics? It's tough, but reasonable. The projects are challenging but not silly. The extra cirricular activities are fun and purposeful. Team sports? If your kid wants to play, they will find a spot for him on the team (within reason...) If you want to drop your kid off at school everyday with a smile on his or her face, choose MA. You won't be disappointed.

I have nothing but bad things to say about MA. If your child does not start out in the lower school do not send your child here. Lots of students leave middle school during first year or at the end. New children are treated badly by teachers & other students . The middle school principal does not care. This is excepted at this school. concerned mother

As a recent 13 year graduate, I have nothing but praises to sing about my high school. Along the way I had my complaints, but at the end of each day I would have never denied being an MA student. I have never wanted to say that I attend[ed] any other school but The Montgomery Academy. This place offers the best teacher support, great friends, and wonderful leadership and extracurricular activities. It is what you make it, but the opportunities are there!

I came to MA in the middle of the year in the 6th grade, and I've never been happier. It took hard work to catch up with the rest of my grade, but it was worth it! I love MA and the people at MA (parents and students) are some the nicest people you could ever meet! The reason why MA can top any other private school in the district is the academics, arts, and athletics. Which means we are the best in everything! As the cheerleaders say, ' We are the best we are BIG MA, We're better than the rest BIG MA!'

Coming from a city with some of the best school districts in the country, I was disappointed. The classes get easy, to keep the parents happy that their kids are making great grades. Secondly, some parents aren't the friendliest of folk, especially to new students (and their parents). Just because this is apparently the best school in the district, doesn't make it the best choice.

We sent our daughter to local public schools for grades 4-6, hoping they would provide a solid education. We found the teachers spent more time disciplining than teaching, and that they were more concerned with standardized testing than providing a well-rounded curriculum that built upon a solid foundation. In short, we were disappointed. For 7th grade we enrolled our daughter at MA and haven't regretted it. The academics are more challenging than that available in the public schools, and the faculty does a fantastic job of building on their area of study as the year progresses. Our daughter no longer comes home with straight A's complaining about being bored. Instead, she is challenged and engaged, and grades accurately reflect what she deserves. The breadth of the curriculum and extracurricular activities are areas that set MA apart from other schools. Overall we couldn't be happier. I need more space to brag about this school!

Last modified Montgomery Academy is a Private school that serves grades K-12