Montgomery, AL

Johnnie R Carr Jr High School
Develops honesty: Agree

Posted August 17, 2015
The IB program at Carr upholds very high character standards which are explicitly woven throughout the student experienc

Johnnie R Carr Jr High School 4

Posted August 17, 2015
I have had two children at Carr from 2012-2015 in Magnet Program. It has been a very good school experience for both my children and family. The facility is excellent; the program is strong; and the staffing is decent. The school has challenges. Challenges are things to work on--but do not necessarily make things unacceptable. However, this can change and Carr needs to be watched. Carr has had five principals in seven years. This lack of stable support from the central office is the top issue that should cause any parent to keep their eye on what is going on. The International Baccalaureate program is a big plus in that it creates higher standards of training and preparation to achieve some clearly defined objectives that are recognized around the world. However, the IB program was imposed from central office which means it did not have the initial buy-in that it ought to have had. That coupled with the poor support for stable leadership has undercut what ought be a very stable and high achieving school. The Magnet program is housed within this traditional program. It enrolls 50 students in each grade. These classes stay together for their core subjects. Most magnet subjects are advanced one grade level. I believe the magnet helps stabilize the school but it has only partially lived up to its possibilities. The school is IB, Magnet, Traditional and has AP courses. So it has not developed a coherent vision with stable leadership. Hence these different programs are somewhat confusing and unfulfilled. The teaching staff have done a good job given all of this. There is more teacher turnover than there ought to be with some of strongest teachers getting siphoned off or leaving. There is not a strong division between magnet and traditional students. The same teachers instruct both. So the magnet program is not as strong as at Baldwin but it also means that there are many strong students/families in the traditional program. So the entire school is elevated over the other traditional schools; and that produces some strengths the other magnets do not have.

Posted September 16, 2013
My son has been going to Johnnie Carr for three years and I would have to say that it is the best it has ever been. With Mr Johnston at the helm and the IB program underway this school will be hard to beat. Mike H. Pike Road AL

Posted August 22, 2013
JCMS is absolutely the bestschool experience since my kids have attended a Montgomery public school. I am not from Montgomery but have lived here for eight years. The principal is great at meeting with parents and showing that he cares. The 7th grad teachers were outstanding and I am looking forward to the eighth grade experience with the teachers and my kids. The school grounds are always clean, the staff is always professional and the morale is always high spirited. I love it!

Johnnie R Carr Jr High School 2

Posted July 03, 2013
I think this school is OK and only OK. This school has an amazing magnet program but I think it needs to focus more on teaching and controlling the class. Not on being the student's best friend. Their some teachers that just sit and give us work, expecting us to learn by reading just the textbook. Sure that may give us an idea, but when it comes to testing you really don't know what you really learned because the teacher didn't even bother to teach it to you. A huge problem is the workload, you're getting 2-3 projects per week and they expect you to study for a test and complete your homework every day. It's pretty hard for a student to try and focus on work in class, get those multiple projects done every week, do their homework and study hard to get a good grade on your test. Another issue this school has is the students. The students are loud and noisy in the hall, always cussing and fighting each other. Yet the staff just looks away as if nothing happened. You can get detention for something stupid but a student that was cussing and fighting would get away with just a warning. I suggest going to a magnet school in Montgomery county. All middle schools here are no good.

Posted October 29, 2012
I love this school!!! I graduated in the 2011-2012 school year and I had a lot of fun. The teachers really care about their students and do what they can to help in my opinion one of the best middle schools in Montgomery.

Posted November 14, 2011
Great school I love the staff everyone is very friendly and super nice... The principle is awesome......

Posted August 23, 2011
Love the teachers!!! Great school! Campus is beautiful! AP program is fantastic. I've been here in Montgomery since 2010. The first year at Carr was great, Now my son is starting 8th grade, and I still have no compliants! Keep up the great work.

Posted May 18, 2011
Carr has made great strides under the new principal. The AP program is fantastic and the 7th grade teachers (these are the only ones we have personal experience with) are truly dedicated to the students. In 2011-12, the course will add a magnet program for 6th and 7th grade. The facility is top rate, but would benefit greatly from an art and foreign language program to round out the curriculum.

Johnnie R Carr Jr High School 1

Posted October 19, 2010
Find an alternative and avoid this school. In the eight years our family has been in the public school system in Montgomery this is the worst. The teachers here have no control and are completely unprofessional. Our child has experienced in their various classes anything from the students being told to shut their faces to being told that they were going to grow up to be as stupid as their parents. Our child begged us to get them out of one class because they said it was so out of control that they could not concentrate. We finally called the school and talked to them about it and they said that this teacher did have a problem controlling the class but the principle would try to help him get things under control. Nine weeks later nothing had changed. How are our kids suposed to learn in this environment?

Johnnie R Carr Jr High School
1610 Ray Thorington Rd, Montgomery, AL  36117
Last modified Johnnie R Carr Jr High School is a Public school that serves grades 6-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Johnnie R Carr Jr High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top