Mountain Brook, AL

Mt Brook High School 4

Posted March 14, 2012
As a graduate of Mountain Brook within the past 4 years, I have quite a bit to say about the school, as well as the community. On the whole, the school is most definitely above average. The academics are great. Those who struggle receive help, those who already excel are challenged. The faculty is great for the most part besides a few teachers that have tenure and really should be let go. The number of AP classes offered is tremendous and the number of National Merit Finalist and Semi-Finalists is impressive. The administration is fantastic, and they really try to work with parents and students. However, there is definitely a sense of cliquiness amongst the students and fitting in is not the easiest thing and hinders your mental growth and development-- & your parent's pocketbook. Just note if you are looking for a homogenous, non-diverse, judgmental, upper middle class area, you will definitely find it in Mountain Brook.

Mt Brook High School 4

Posted November 07, 2010
I am a former student of MBHS. For the most part, this school is absolutely spectacular. The teachers and faculty in the entire school system are incredible. They are willing to help you and genuinely care about how well each student does. Although it is somewhat secluded from the rest of the world, MBHS does everything they can to get students out into a world with diversity. While I was there, I was in a club where we met with inner city kids 4 times a year and created great friendships. Every day that we would meet, we would go to their school and they would come to ours. Not to mention the numerous service and community projects available. A child that attends this school will never miss out on a single opportunity. MBHS has the most outstanding academics and they also encourage students to build their resumes. It is great.

Posted December 22, 2009

Posted October 29, 2009
MBHS is the top academic high school in the state. It competes nationally as one of the top 100 high schools in the nation. MBHS is a public school in a very private community.

Posted September 03, 2009

Posted August 28, 2009
I am a current student at Mountain Brook High School, and I have nothing bad to say about it. Yes, there are some issues with alcohol, but that is a universal problem- it is not just a 'Mountain Brook' thing. And yes, it is a mostly white school, but that does not mean the students aren't used to the real world. There are multiple groups at this school; one for every type of person. And because of the great opportunities available and Mountain Brook High School, students are a open to the 'real world', unless they aren't involved in anything at all. Besides, the academics are amazing. There is a wide variety of classes and groups that anyone can enjoy and excel in. All in all, I love this school. I love this town. I will definitely be living here after I graduate.

Mt Brook High School 0

Posted August 12, 2009
Academics are wonderful, but the financial expectations are beyond unrealistic. There are fees for every class and this is on top of the highest property tax in the state.

Posted May 16, 2009
I'm a graduate from MBHS. I agree that it's a bit materialistic, but what can you expect from one of the wealthiest towns in Alabama? The kids are good, the parents are good. There was a problem with drinking but, no worse than any other school in the surrounding areas. Honestly, the first year of college, I was so prepared, I barely paid attention and made A's. I felt like Mtn Brook's courses were much harder than freshman year classes. So that, is a definite plus. On top of that, I did have a tiny culture shock, coming from a mostly-white-and-rich town...but it lasted a few months and I feel like no part of Mountain Brook has held me back in that respect. I have many different cultured friends from different socio-economic-backgrounds and all in all, Mountain Brook is the place where I'll raise my kids.

Posted May 16, 2009
For the students who seem to not fit in to Mountain Brook. I can honestly say I've felt that way before. But, it's not just Mountain Brook- it's every school. And I'd much rather be an outcast at a school like Mountain Brook, where I found my niche in a club or sport that I love, than at a surrounding school and end up in a gang or in a really bad place. Mountain Brook is just safe. In all respects. Sometimes, it's too safe and parents overlook problems with their kids, like drinking, but Mountain Brook is the best, safest, and smartest community to live in and it's totally worth a couple years of social awkwardness :)

Mt Brook High School 0

Posted April 30, 2009
For anyone who says this school isn't realistic, why don't you go try one of those 'realistic' schools. This is an amazing school with wonderful students. We have been in a realistic school, where they have to dumb everything down so that 'no child is left behind' and it leaves those students who want to excel and learn wanting more. The people are nice and not 'snobs' as one poster put. They are very welcoming, no matter what your economic status is. We have nothing but great things to say about the city and the school. We wouldn't go back to the so called reality for anything!

Mt Brook High School
3650 Bethune Dr, Mountain Brook, AL  35223
Last modified Mt Brook High School is a Public school that serves grades 10-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mt Brook High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top