New Market, AL
Students enrolled: 1,275

Buckhorn High School 1

Posted May 31, 2013
I was a student at Buckhorn High School until my Junior year. The school itself is beauitful but the students are unwelcoming and plain ignorent. I came from a northern town and didn't quite understand what to make of southern states. Many students believed because of my background it was alright to pick on me, teachers would even join in. It got to the point where I was shoved into lockers and down staircases. One time I was even surrounded and taunted in the presence of a teacher and when I reported it to the principle their response was "oh, kids will be kids. learn to grow a back bone." that's disgusting. If it was my choice, that school needs a good reality check. I'm now a senior and going to a different local school and much happier. I'd never go back.

Buckhorn High School 4

Posted March 29, 2011
I am a senior at Buckhorn High School. I have to admit that there are a few teachers that seem like they do not care about you. At times it feels like the only thing those teachers care about is the sport in which they coach. On the other hand there are teachers who would lay their life down for you. I was enrolled in JROTC until my junior year, Colonel Hartley and SGM John Johnson were my two favorite teachers at Buckhorn High School. Unlike like all of the other teachers, they showed thier cadets that they actually cared. Colonel and SGM would go out of their way to help any student at Buckhorn out. They do not judge you by your past or even the people you follow. However, they taught me not to be a follower but to become a leader, so that I would be able to help someone get out of a "sticky situation". Colonel Hartley and SGM Johnson turned my life around, and help me turn my best friends life around. They are my heros! SGM Johnson's favorite line is "Oh how I love it here." and he and Colonel Hartley made me love it here at Buckhorn High School.

Posted March 24, 2011
As a senior at BHS, I've really enjoyed my high school experience. I have moved around quite a bit and Buckhorn is by far the most welcoming school I've ever been to. Of course there will always be those parents who hate the world because their child has social problems or is lagging in math, but this really is a great school. Every teacher offers tutoring and there are many programs which you can enroll in to get help and make friends. All the kids are good ole southern kids so if you're from around here, you know what I'm talking about. The teachers actually care here, they want their students to benefit from every class. THey care about thier students in and outside of school. I would suggest this school to anyone moving into the area.

Buckhorn High School 2

Posted February 03, 2011
I don't believe Buckhorn is a school that can really improve the lives of students. My son went to school there and needed extra help and was told to come in early, which he did, and the teacher wasn't there. This happened on more than one occasion. There was little encouragement and the students themselves are rude and non-accepting of students who haven't lived in the area all their lives. There is not a high bar set on excellence and respect. I was very disappointed in the entire experience.

Posted January 20, 2010
Buckhorn is great! I just moved my family here from Denver and we wanted to be in a not so congested area. Even though people say Winchester Road is so congested, they havn't lived in Denver! Buckhorn High is great and they really work with my job. I don't really care for her counselor, but other than that the faculty and the administration are wonderful! I did a little research to find out that Buckhorn is one of the top schools in North Alabama and its one of the fastest growing!

Posted December 04, 2009
Buckhorn is an average school, period. I graduated 2 years ago and can honestly say that even though I took several AP classes - the 'highly qualified/AP certified' teachers did not teach at an advanced level. As a college sophomore, I am not as academically prepared as my classmates seem to be. BHS classroom expectations for advanced classes are not, in my opinion, as challenging as they should be. I honestly think I would have learned more by taking the regular classes versus the AP/Honor's courses. Grading is a joke in the AP classes and not reflective of learning at all. I had a 4.0+ GPA and yet I failed many tests and didn't complete many assignments(due to not understanding). Sure we 'covered' all the material but that was about it. ~Let Down in Bama

Posted October 22, 2009
Buckhorn High School is an excellent school in all areas. Academics 1st of all are most important and Buckhorn faculty understands that. The teachers work well with all the students, and are always availabe for extra help if needed. Counselors are personable and really help students prepare for college. Principals are understandable and nice. Athletic division at Buckhorn is great as well football is getting better with every season, Basketball is great as it always has been, Cross Country is growing and placing in all races, soccer team, track,tennis,Cheer,dance, and Wrestling are some more of the many sports Buckhorn has. There are more clubs and orginizations at buckhorn than you can count. Overall Buckhorn is a great school filled with great teachers and students.

Posted July 15, 2009
My child was a Freshman last year and and he is a slow learner. I have to say his teachers and the counsler was very helpful. He had a very good yaer. Thanks to all the teachers and adminstrator staff for eveything you do.

Posted March 20, 2009
I am currently a junior at said school and I firmly believe that what I learn and experience there will not only prepare me for college but life after. I agree that I have not seen the head principal often but I believe he is doing more important things than standing in the hallway watching us. Though the work is challenging and the drama department is in desperate need of a theatre not just a gym stage, I truly do learn something new everyday and am enthralled with the ingenuity of our drama teacher/leader, even though he has little to work with he puts on amazing productions. As a student I believe other students, as well as myself, take our advantages for granted and do not acknowledge the truly outstanding school we attend.

Posted March 04, 2009
I am a student at Buckhorn. This school is not given enough crdit for everything they do and the awards the school recieves. People put schools like Grissom and Bob Jones on a throne and they don't want to mention the country school way out yonder. This school is preparing me for college. I couldnt have asked for a better school. This school doesn't try and baby you and just get you out of their system. They give constructivve criticism and try and mold you into a better student. This school, Buckhorn High School, is the best school in Madison County.

4123 Winchester Rd, New Market, AL  35761
Last modified Buckhorn High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Buckhorn High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top