Horseshoe Bend High School

Public | K-12

Posted February 22, 2012

HBS is a great school! The Principal is a hard working person dedicated to the success of his students and school. I love the new baseball uniforms for this year. Students leave HBS ready for college.

Posted October 29, 2010

Horseshoe Bend is a SACS accredited school, which means that it DOES, in fact, offer many programs and courses to get our students ready for college. We could not have achieved SACS accreditation without offering quality programs and showing evidence of student success. Maybe you weren't ready for college for some other reason.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 4, 2009

As a senior student at Horseshoe Bend, I can honestly say that I am proud to be a General. The teachers all know their students by their first name and genuinely care about the well-being of the students. Learning is the most important thing at this school, not the extra curricular activites. The students are also, for the majority, polite and helpful individuals. Yes, the dress code is a bit harsh, but it is not very hard to abide by. Also, parents and students should keep in mind that the dress code for 2009-2010 was not chosen by the school or the principle; it is a county mandated dress code that stemmed directly from the superintendant. The small school atmostphere allows students to form almost family like bonds. My children will definietly attend this school if my life and job allow me to stay in New Site. Go Generals!

Posted June 17, 2009

I went from HBHS kindergarden-9th grade, and now I am being forced to go back for my senior year, and after attending two other highschools and I can proudly say Horseshoe Bend is NOT A GOOD SCHOOL. They are so behind with everything. I will be behind my first year in college because of classes Horseshoe Bend does not offer students. I know it's a small school, but they could figure something out. And as for a dress code, I think if the school I went to with over 4,000 kids could handle us with NO DRESS CODE then a small school like this could handle it AS WELL.

Posted October 30, 2008

Horseshoe Bend has always strived to offer its students the best opportunities that it could. Some of the students are overlooking the fact that educational values should always come before fashion statements. I am proud our school choose to enforce a dress code that makes our students accountable for the way they dress. What most students don't realize is that the Student Council approved the dress code. It was not entirely the administration that came up with this idea. Parents were also surveyed before the dress code came into effect.

Posted October 12, 2008

I am a student at HBHS and i would love to say that it is a very great school. we have the best sport programs and the best teachers there. the only problem at HBHS is the Dress Code. how are we able to express ourselves with just plain clothing or a horseshoe bend shirt. If you want less people complaining about the dress code then let us wear any kind of shirt but it still has to be apporiate with no violence, language, drugs and ect. if they let us wear whatever we want but still no cleavage or back showing i think that HBHS would be a school less talked about.

Posted August 16, 2008

I attended this school since i was in 1st grade and i am now in 11th grade, i have recently moved to Sylacauga where i attend B.B Comer now. I have to i seriously miss HBHS, I also want to say that the teachers at HBHS are very down to earth and helpful , and some of the students there we very polite. I wish so much that i didnt leave HBHS, i had very many friends, not just students but teacher's also. I was a parent i would recommend that my child would go to this school.

Posted January 15, 2008

A lot of people are saying that HBHS is a great school to send their children, but I would definitely disagree. I attended HBHS as a student and I have actually been out in the real world. I would like to let you know that HBHS is behind in education. They do not have the same educational standards as a lot of schools. I went to college outside of Alabama and I was behind a lot. I felt that this school let me down tremendously.

Posted November 3, 2007

HBHS is a home to me that I would never want to leave. Out of the many Schools in Tallapoosa County I would say HBHS is the best! What makes it be my favorite is that it is small and every student gets more one on one with the teacher. I am quite surprised on the negative things people are saying about this school. Drugs, Bulling, and little other things but all that stuff rarely happens at our school. plus you find all these things at other schools too not just us. For a small school like us you don't have to be a pro baseball player or basketball player to play any sports. Plus there's alot organizations to participate in a small school like ours. Because of these things I support Horsehoe Bend and love it!

Posted August 16, 2007

I am a former student of HBHS and I recently moved to Georgia, but if I had to choose any school I would always choose HBHS. The teachers are great and yes tht is now a really strict dress code but who cares about the dress what the parents and former students need to know is that Horseshoe Bend is a great and wonderful school. I love all the years i spent there and ain't ashamed to say yes i attened HBHS for almost my whole life and if I could go back in time I would still choose HBHS over in of the schools in Tallapoosa County. So for all of the former students that are putting Horseshoe Bend down, you could have choosen a different school you did not have to go to HBHS if you did not like it so much. oh yeah one more thing. Go Generals!!!

Posted June 9, 2007

My Grandchildren attend this school and I believe that Horseshoe Bend School will one day be a Great School to attend.With Proper Leadership we will achieve great things.

Posted March 25, 2007

Horseshoe Bend is not perfect nor is any school you may choose to walk into. They have received SACS Accreditation and they are striving to improve all areas of weaknesses that were recognized. The teachers work hard every day to acknowledge the learning styles of every child and to help each student succeed. HBS welcomes any parent who comes in to volunteer. They do not play favorites with this idea because any school can use good volunteers. HBS has never claimed to be perfect, but they are striving to help every child that enters its doors to become SOMEBODY. If parents have a problem with that, let them take their child somewhere else.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 18, 2006

I have been going to horseshoe bend [since] I was in kindergatern. My plans are to always go to HBHS! There are alot of friendly teachers and stundents. But a strict dress code. If i had to pick any school, yes, i would pick Horseshoe Bend High!! We have great school lunches and great snack choices. HBHS has alot of extracurricular activites like: football, volleyball cheerleading, softball, and baseball.

Posted September 21, 2006

I have been attending HBHS since I was in the 3rd grade and I honestly have no regrets about being about of HBHS school. I believe HBHS is a well rounded school. It has a very safe and also a very clean environment. I also feel that the negative feedback coming from random people are from people who do not put themselves out there. It does not matter what school you attend you are going to be surrounded by the group situations. I feel at HBHS there are no popular groups only the people who actually get involved with the school are more noticed because of their evolvement. There are a variety of people who come to HBHS not a one being alike and I think that HBHS has a very welcoming environment and I am grateful for the friends I have made over the past years. Thanks HBHS!

Posted June 10, 2006

Horseshoe Bend is a great school! Especially compared to the other alternatives. I graduated from HBHS in 96 and my children also attended this school. I now homeschool my children but if I had to send them back to a public school, it would definately be Horseshoe Bend.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 20, 2006

Horseshoe Bend is a Great over all school.

Posted January 19, 2006

I am a current student at HBHS and this school is great. I disagree with the negative people on this site.I have been going to this school every since 1995 and the only people who don't like this school are people with negative attitudes about everything. I love HBHS. GO GENERALS.

Posted January 10, 2006

My kids have been going to this school since it first opened and I have no regrets at all for sending them here. It is a great school with fine teachers and good opportunities. I would advise anyone to send their child here.

Posted September 30, 2005

I am shocked to see all the negative feedback on HBHS ! As a parent I believe that it is a good school and I like the way that the children get alot of one on one attention. My children are proud to be a part of HBHS. Beverly Nickolson

Posted September 16, 2005

I agree with Ashley, Horseshoe Bend is not one of the better schools you can pick to send your child. The teachers do have their favorites. Parential involvement is at a low unless you are one of the 'popular' students and you wish to recieve the same praise and attention as you child or as the one mystery writer wrote do things to 'just be seen'. From the 3 years I spent at Horseshoe Bend, I can honestly say that my children will never attend that school.
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 93% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

All Students28%

Not migrant65%
Poverty50%
Not poverty86%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students62%

Proficient in English72%
Not migrant72%
Poverty63%

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

Male87%

Not migrant53%
Poverty39%
Not poverty73%

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 95% in 2013.

Language

The state average for Language was 76% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 86% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 72% in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama High School Graduation Exam (AHSGE) to test high school students in reading, math, language, biology and social studies. High school students must pass the AHSGE in order to graduate. The AHSGE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 98% in 2013.

Language

The state average for Language was 91% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 95% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 94% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

All Students100%

• Mr Casey D Davis
Fax number
  • (256) 329-9119

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now