Newton, AL

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Wicksburg is an excellent school! Our mission statement, Striving for Excellence, guides our footsteps as we dedicate each day to maintaining an environment that is conducive to learning.
December 21, 2010

Posted May 05, 2013
Wicksburg Elementary and High School Very personal and academically driven. The teachers care about the success of each student and the administration would go to any length to protect and guide their students as they would their own children. It is not an over-crowded school like those in Enterprise or Dothan so teachers are able to give students the attention they need. Recommended for anyone who wants their children to excel in life!

Wicksburg High School 4

Posted October 12, 2012
Wicksburg is a great school. Some will not like it because it is small and more personal. Others will love it for that. There are the typical folks who want to be the "big fish" in the little pond, but they are at every school. There are some teachers (not many) that you would not want your kids to suffer through and there are the ones that you would fight for your kids to be taught by. In a small school, everyone knows which is which. No school is perfect, including this one. The kids that attend here have been taught right from wrong, they believe in God, and know that anything they do will get back to their parents because of the nature of a small school. Nepotism is an issue and needs to be looked at closely. The school staff loves "their" kids (all of them). If you are not used to hearing your name prefaced by Sir or Maam, you should try this school. It is refreshing to be around respectful kids. This school still retains some of the moral values we in the South were raised with. There are problems everywhere in schools, but at least when there is a problem in Wicksburg, it gets addressed and fixed.

Wicksburg High School 1

Posted May 19, 2012
Well, the end of the school year is near and once again, we see great test results despite failing leadership. Nine school days remain but all the teaching is done. So why spend the money? This year we've had one teacher and her aide (hired through nepotism) have been fired, another teacher was/is under investigation after administering corporal punishment too hard. Parents are not welcome at all - except at 3PM. The elementary principal will not even blink without permission from the HS principal. The HS principal is over her head but considering the talent at the board, she's on par. The baseball team had a great year.

Wicksburg High School 2

Posted August 26, 2011
Small town USA. If you've lived here all your life, you are white, you play football and the "principal" likes you then this is the school for you. The school board pats us on the head and sends the money to Rehobeth. Bullying is not tolerated unless it is done by a teacher, teacher's kid, or a popular kid. Buildings need to be torn down and a new school built. Bathrooms stink. Poor man's country club/ private school = few minorities.

Wicksburg High School 1

Posted August 13, 2011
WHS is a small school with small-minded staff, with only the occasional helpful and interested teacher. The front office staff rely too heavily on student help in the main office, and the students are nearly as clueless as the front office staff. The gross disorganization and severe lack of communication are enough to turn any parent or student away. Sports are too over-emphasized and academics take a back burner to football. Bullying is said to not be tolerated, but we have found otherwise, on far too many occasions. We will be relocating as quickly as possible. Overall, a VERY poor choice in schools. Highly NOT recommended.

Posted May 24, 2011
Wicksburg is a wonderful school. So far I have 3 children there and one more who will be there in a couple of years. I have a son with a learning disabilty but is also gifted. We were at another school in the beginning and his teachers has decided that he just wasn't good enough and something was very wrong with him. That was a city school, then we shopped for a private school and quickly saw that they were all designed for average cookie cutter kids. So we chose to move into WHS school zone and every teacher my kids have ever had have gone above and beyond. I have also attend many trips and other events and have never seen more parental involvement in a day when such a thing is obsolete. The only schools I can think of with more family members driving their own car 3+ hours for a fieldtrip is a private school that required the parents to attend field trips. The small school, the access to faculty, the true love for these kids and their families, the true love for the school and community is hard to beat at any school in this area. Nothing can be entirely perfect but WHS is close in my family's book and I have no desire for my kids to ever leave WHS:)!!!!!

Posted February 11, 2011
After having taught in several schools during my teaching career (now retired), Wicksburg High School is my choice for excellence in teachers and staff. My grandchildren attend here now and everytime I "drop off and pick up" at school, I am reminded of the mission of this school "Sharing the Vision; Shaping the Future".

Posted December 21, 2010
- a school leader

Posted October 05, 2010
My child has been moved around quite a bit and WHS is an excellent school. The teachers do care and academics are great. The marching band will rock your socks.

Posted May 01, 2010
I love Wicksburg High School because it is small school and I feel our children get a better education in smaller schools because our classes are small and teachers have the ablitiy to get to ever student and their needs. This school is loved the most because of the parent involvment. A good reason why we should recieve the $20,000 is because we are not a title 1 school and we have to raise money for everything we need. We could use this money to upgrade our books, computers, general supplies. We need all the help we can get to make it an even better school for our children.

1172 South State Hwy 123, Newton, AL  36352
Last modified Wicksburg High School is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wicksburg High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top