Bad
Good

I love learning, so any school would be good for me. The only thing I don't like about my school is that, mainly the top administers, don't do anything to help the problem. They just pop kids into ISS, and let them be on with their day.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

I love the teachers at my school. Most of them, anyways. Some just don't seem to care - but don't worry! There are more that care, then don't.

Amount of homework: Agree

Most teachers give homework, but its just the right amount. They don't go overboard, like some other schools.

After reading all postings shared here, this is my humble opinion. I had heard that Appalachian School was not in the list of best schools out there so I was a little concerned when we moved to the area and found out my children would be attending this school BUT, a lot of people told me this, and I believe is true, "All schools are good schools for evey one that wants to learn and put the effort to learn; your children will be good students and will be succesful no matter what school they attend if they have their mind set on their goals and if you as parents encourage them and help them reach those goals from day one." We all know that kids education also depend on us as parents not only on the school system they attend. Us as parents should be considerate and should have enough sense to know where we should park when picking up our children. We should know that kids behavior in school reflect how we teach our kids at home. I'm sure all schools could use a plan as to how improve their education system and school safety. So far, I am very pleased with this school and I Thank the staff that go the extra mile to help our children in their learning. So, KEEP IT UP EAGLES!!!!

The high school was terrible. The quality of education is terrible, and there is no diversity. I suppose this school is great if you don't expect your child to be very successful in life.The school encourages students to attend community college, rather than to prepare them for major 4 year universities. Do some research, find out just how many seniors immediately went straight into a major university and was successful...you won't find very many.

My children as well as I have loved this school! They went to Appalachian for 5 years and was very upset when we moved away. The staff is great and so are the volunteers! I wished I had the time to spend with the children at the school as a lot of other parents was able! Although we are no longer at Appalachian as of 2012, GO EAGLES! WE LOVE AND MISS YOU ALL! The Stanley Boys Family

Also this school is very safe. There is always a member of the facality watching the kids go to their parents vehicles. Also the only reason the school doesn't want for parents to get out of their vehicles is because it blocks the line and other parents who have got their kids can't leave. This school is a wonderful school and people that under rate it really haven't been at the school for long.

Your presumption about the reason for my poor evaluation of Appalachian School is in error. In every school my children have attended, parental accompaniment is allowed and encouraged to the classrooms in the mornings before school begins. Not so at Appalachian. As for the alleged strict safety rules, if that were indeed the case, they would have a much better system (or any system) in place to dismiss children in the afternoons. Parents should not be allowed to park their cars in line, then leave their cars unattended while still in line to go visit with another parent. There should be an administrator in the parking lot before and after school without exception. There wasn't. Strict safety rules? Hardly.

The elementary side of the school is great with a few exceptions. There are a few teachers that do not know how to teach. The high school leaves a lot to be desired. There are a lot of discipline problems, the teachers have a hard time implementing classroom rules because the administration does nothing to back them up. The kids in high school know there are no repercussions for their bad behavior.

Appalachian is a wonderful school with great teachers and staff. They go way beyond their job requirements to try to reach our children.... Keep up the wonderful work.. Go Eagles!

Last modified Appalachian School is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.