Oxford, AL
Students enrolled: 1,209

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted August 15, 2015
Despite the administration, most of the teachers were very nice, and helpful. I only had 2 or 3 teachers that i personally didnt like the whole time i was at OHS.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted August 15, 2015
It all depends on your teacher. Some gave out too much. Some gave out not enough. It varied.

Oxford High School 2

Posted August 15, 2015
I wouldnt go back to this school if you paid me. If you're involved in extra curriculars, and shop exclusively at american eagle, you're going to be fine. But if you're not involved, and like to express yourself, you're going to suffer for it. Whoever said that people that had a hard time at OHS were just thugs, rebels, or troublemakers, seriously needs to have a reality check. I saw a straight a student have to wear a stupid hair tie in his bangs until eventually, he just had to shave his head. His hair was so curly, it stuck straight up, but they didn't care, they just pulled it into his eyes. I had another friend get sent home almost every day. One time she got in trouble for her eyeshadow being distracting (black and gold for a pep rally), her nail polish being distracting, (alternating shades of light and dark purple), her shirt being too brightly colored (neon yellow), or a small 2 inch long chain sewn into her boot that was only as thick as the average necklace. We had administrators stalk us online, they were constantly monitoring our social media, trying to find something to get us in trouble. It didn't matter to them that we kept our grades up, or that we stayed home all weekend, or that our teachers thought we were sweet, all they saw were thugs, because that's all they wanted to see. They are OBSESSED with dress code, they stop class DAILY to check for violations. They had teachers stand in the halls and stare us down as we walked to class. if your shirt came a little untucked in the back, you would get paddled. They'd do it in the hallway, to scare and intimidate us. Imagine taking a test, and in the middle of the silence, hear about 15 loud SMACK's. That was the norm. I became afraid to go to school. I was so tired of being criminalized just because i looked a bit different. I've never done drugs, and I've never broken the law, and I'm SINCERELY hurt that somebody thinks that because I stayed in trouble, that I do all of these things... that I'm THAT kind of person. I hated waking up and wondering, "what will it be today? My shirt? My jacket?" I hated the way I got treated by the very people who were entrusted to protect me. And I especially hated hearing every "model student" say that i deserved this treatment, for being different. If your child is a creative spirit, please, for the love of god, send them to white plains.

Posted April 06, 2015
Great School. All of Oxford Schools are top notch and have high test scores! Highly Recommended.

Posted June 05, 2014
Let me first state that I went to Oxford from K-12 and am now graduating from college. I have a little brother that is currently in first grade so I now have a point of view from an outside angle. OHS is an amazing school. Basically, as long as you don't do drugs, you can get away with many things. The only ones who complain are those who do drugs, are in/want to be in gangs, or are just general typical teenage rebels. The parents who complain are those who feel like they should be entitled. As long as you behave (to the rules that are super easy to follow) and give a tiny bit of effort, you'll succeed. It doesn't matter where you're from or what color you are. If you just be a good person in general, you'll be fine.

Oxford High School 1

Posted May 15, 2014
Oxford spanked 17 girls that were in their senior year. why? dress code violation. need I say more? stay away.

Posted May 27, 2013
Oxford High School is an amazing school! The teachers are excellent and really care about helping students reach goals and excel academically. If a student actually puts forth an effort and lets the teacher know they have a desire to learn, they will bend over backwards to help you. I love OHS! Go Jackets!

Oxford High School 3

Posted December 10, 2012
You know, I've been attending this school(just Oxford in general) for 5 years now. Sure, it's nice, but to a certain extent. Great buildings? Yes. Good sports teams? Yes(that's what we're known for). Great band? Welllllll, it's decent. Good Fine Arts Program? They could do more for it. As a member of the Sound of Champions, and a theatre student, more can be done for the Fine Arts. Oxford needs to stop spending so much money on the sports teams and the buildings.

Posted February 02, 2012
Trinity has staff that really care about the students and go the extra mile to ensure academic and social success! It is well rounded, offering sports and fine arts opportunities.

Posted January 05, 2012
I'm currently a Freshman at OHS, sure they're strict, but I wouldn't want to go anywhere else. Yes, we do have an amazing football team. But that's not what ALL of OHS' focus is on. Our teachers have very HIGH standards in academics, because they know we can do anything when we try. I think the biggest issue at OHS is the dress code. Sure, I don't understand it sometimes, but they just want to make us teachable. OHS is an amazing school. Even if students say they hate it and can't wait to get out of there, they know they're going to miss it like crazy when they graduate and go off to college. I love OHS, and I'm a PROUD Yellow Jacket!!! GO BIG O! :)

915 Stewart St, Oxford, AL  36203
Last modified Oxford High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oxford High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 78 reviews. Top