Pell City, AL

Duran Jr High School 1

Posted July 05, 2013
This school needs tighter student management. They also need to clean the bathrooms and cook a lunch you can eat.

Duran Jr High School 3

Posted May 02, 2008
ummmm....this school is ok. Sure there are sports and sometimes cool activities that get u out of class but a lot of time i feel like i have too much homework and too many projects!! it can get overwhelming.

Posted September 24, 2006
I am very pleased with the education and direction that my son is receiving at Duran Jr. High School. The teachers have managed to hold his interest and the principal (in the words of my son) runs a tight ship. Good job! Thanks for all the hard work.

Duran Jr High School 4

Posted June 16, 2006
First of all, as a parent, I feel the negative postings to this site about Duran Jr. High are unwarranted and probably the result of those who will have a gripe with anyone who 'disciplines' their child or does not cater to their every need. There is a little something called 'responsibility' for one's own achievement and behavior...two things many parents/students seem to neglect. Sure, the school building is not what it should be and this is largely the responsibility of the school board and should be addressed with more than minor cosmetic changes, however, the quality of the education is excellent---again, if a student takes the initiative and has parents who expect the child to perform. If these parents are so concerned over the 'quality' of the school, why have they not bothered to form a PTO or parent group? The answer: it is easier to play the blame game.

Posted May 24, 2006
Hi my name is Vikki and im finished my year at duran today. This is a wonderful school and the teachers are great, there are no sports but that will be avilable. In the next grade you can sign up for a sport for the jounior high, You pick your classes if you pick the elective wheel you will get a new class every nine weeks such as art globe technolgy and something else . If u pick directive studies it is mainly a study hall(whole nine weeks) , and band and choir are for the whole nine weeks also. I am in band and love it Ms. Todd is wonderful. Parents are a main part of the school and would be nothing without it. And you do not get 10 points off your report card.

Posted April 20, 2006
I'm a student at Duran and i'm sorry,but all of these opinions are based on ignorance!Our school rewards positive behavior with Panther Pride tickets, and students do not ever get ten points taken off of their report cards because they forgot their materials! Our teachers at Duran do not punish students to such an extreme. There is always a friendly staff member awaiting parental volunteers. Our principal and vice principal do care about every thing that goes on in our school.They do everthing in their power to help our school.

Posted April 09, 2006
I have one child that goes to Duran Junior high school and that is the only child of mine that will ever go there.I have been to the school once for registration and a couple more times for other reasons and when I go to the front desk to ask a question there is never anyone there and by the time i get the answer to my question I am now considering home schooling my child.(this is the worst school in Alabama.)

Duran Jr High School 2

Posted August 03, 2005
Duran is very disappointing compared to Eden Elementary. Eden is aptly named, a wonderful place for little angels to learn and grow. The administration there is the best I've seen. The staff genuinely cares about each child. Unfortunately this is not the case at Duran, where parental involvement is discouraged by the administration, there is very little communication unless they have determined that your child needs discipline. If a student tells a staff member that another student did something against the rules, the 2nd child is automatically guilty. Some of the teachers take 10 points off of the child's report card for forgetting to bring materials to class. They try to force maturity instead of teaching maturity. They punish severely for bad behavior but do not reward positive behavior. The administrator says he always takes the teacher's side because he knows kids lie, he treats parents and students as annoyances. Sad!

Posted April 12, 2005
I have found the staff of this school to be less than helpful and generally uninterested in the students. I get the distinct impression that the school as a whole does not welcome parent input or presence. This is in sharp contrast to the elementary school experience in this district which makes this the situation all the more disappointing. As we love our home and do not want to move, we are making every effort financially to get into a position to afford private schools in future for our children. I do not trust this school with my children or their education.

Duran Jr High School 3

Posted January 23, 2005
The academic that is offered is fine, But I along with others feel that it could be taught better by some. I also feel that the school feels the less parents are involved the better. Which is sad for us the ones who would like to be more involved. I feel the staff is rude. If you e-mail or call the school the calls or emails may or may not be returned. When you do visit the school they are not very friendly I feel that they expect these children not to make mistakes to be very responsible. Which is fine, but when a mistake is made or something forgotten they need to remember these are still children. or human at that all people make mistakes including the staff there. And trust me they make plenty of mistakes If I was in a position to home school my kids I would.

309 Williamson Dr, Pell City, AL  35125
Last modified Duran Jr High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Duran Jr High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top