Walter M Kennedy School

Public | K-4

Posted June 15, 2013

This school has a lot of discrimination going on. I would not prefer. Never. Never.

Posted February 25, 2009

What a wonderful transformation Kennedy has experienced this 2008-2009 school year. Everything about Kennedy is fresh, friendly, and excited about the future. New leadership has set quite an impressive tone for faculty, students, and parents. I can't wait to see what happens next year!

Posted April 15, 2008

I have three children at this school I have been very pleased with the teachers especially the guidance counselor I am happy my children belong to such a great school.

Posted July 18, 2006

I have a daughter who will be going to 2nd grade at Kennedy. We love this school! The teachers and staff are wonderful! I have no complaints whatsoever! There is a lot of parental involvement in this school & that makes all the difference! I can't wait until my 4 year old attends Kindergarten next year! Parents please be involved in your child's school, work with the teachers, principal and staff not against them; don't always take the defensive attitude that our little

Posted February 13, 2005

I have one child attending this year in the first grade. His teacher is wonderful. I was not very happy with his Kindergarten teacher. My child will need to repeat the first grade and I do believe the Kindergarten teacher should have noticed there was a problem and brought this to my attention before passing to the first grade. I also have little confidence in the Principal. One year my oldest son came home from a festival with black fingernails. This was something they were doing for a ticket sale much like face painting. This made me very unhappy. I feel the school is safe but I also feel like the principal needs to realize there are Kindergartners and first graders in this school. I do not think we need to be preparing them for the workforce at this age. Let them be children a little while longer.

Posted January 24, 2005

My child loved kindergarten & the teachers are wonderful! 1st grade was not a good experience! the principal should realize that each child is special, & so is the teacher. My child was assigned a male teacher. My child is very shy & does not inter-act well with men. I asked that she be moved to a female teacher. My request was denied. Even the b.O.E. Said i should give it time? Why make a child that has loved school be miserable and beg every night & morning not to go? There's 12 more years, don't make them hate it! it is a shame when public school is free, that a single parent has to put her child in private school! i'm trying to sell my home to move to another zone. 1St graders are still babies, not high school students. Have some compassion in the future!

Posted August 3, 2004

I have one child attending Kennedy - and I have to say that I am thoroughly pleased with the school. My daughter came home from Kindergarten every day last year excited about school. Her teacher really invested herself with her class and it showed. Thank You!

Posted July 18, 2004

I truly believe Walter M Kennedy School in Pell City, AL. should be one of the top K-5 schools in this state. The Teachers and the support staff are open with the parents and make parents feel like they are welcome, unlike most schools these days. The teachers are concerned about the children they teach. Not to mention the lunchroom manager and staff do wonders feeding all those kids. Thanks to all at Kennedy for taking care of my little one, and teaching her well. You all do an awesome job! Marty

Posted April 23, 2004

I don't have a child in this school but, a neice (3rd) and nephew (k) who are. From hearing them and their parents I can say this school seems great. They really love the princpal and all I have heard about their teachers is wonderful. My nephews teacher loves him as much as he does her.I remember having teachers I loved that much and how special it made me feel.I am very thankful they have that at this school!

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

All Students86%

Not migrant87%
Poverty86%
Not poverty89%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students83%

• Dr Leah D Stover
Fax number
  • (205) 338-1659

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now