Lakewood Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 983 students

Sweep tile

Posted July 6, 2011

I love, Love, LOVE this school! I was worried when we moved to the area and realized how horrible the academic scores and what not of the GA, AL area were, so I further researched all schools and short of a private school, Lakewood was for us! My daughter went to kindergarten there with Mrs Wicker, what an amazing teacher, what a way to start out your school years! I could not of asked for anything better! They are changing it up a bit this coming school year for the better! Splitting the schools into 2! Can't wait!!

Posted May 5, 2011

My twins attended first grade this year with Mrs. McSwain as their teacher. I was surprised to find they kept twins together, as the girls last school separated them. Mrs. M is a very strong and caring teacher, very strict - but she loves her children and it is reflected by the students actions. I have been to her classroom several times, the students are well behaved, use VERY GOOD manners, respond with "Yes, Ma'am" etc. The school itself is very good, they regularly have the school counselor interact with the children, daily gym, reading, math and science - and technology classes. They strongly encourage family involvement, and the field trips are educational as well as fun. They have a green house (to show how things grow), animals in the classroom (a parrot greets you at the main entrance), a great playground / sports area (inside and out) and a wonderful caring staff. They also are civic and community minded - local restaraunts sponsor "Lakewood" days, and the students can participate in community activies, such as pretty in pink (a non beauty pageant) and Special Olympics. The after school program (LEAP) is also great. I strongly recommend this school.

Posted March 9, 2011

I will be moving there this summer from Colorado. My fiancee's son went there last year and loved it. He did really well. My 8 yr old daughter has Cognitive and Developmental Delays and is a wonderful student. I would love any input from any parents and/or staff regarding the Special Education Department please. Thankyou so much, I appreciate it! Kathy

Posted October 12, 2010

The teachers and staff are wonderful. they show intrest in my sons individual learning. and it is a great safe inviorment.

Posted April 19, 2010

My two (2) grandaughters attend Lakewood Elementary School and I have had the opportunity to be involved in their academic accomplishments as well as their extra-curricular activities and events. I always feel very comfortable and welcome when I am at the school. The administration and faculty are always friendly and helful.

Posted September 4, 2009

I am a huge advocate of private schooling but have been shocked by the quality of education oat Lakewood. My wife had her son enrolled there when we married and I was stongly incined to move her son to a private school. However, after meeting with faculty and touring the school I was willing to give them a fair chance. I have been very pleased with the quality of education and dedication of the teachers. Class room size is large but not excessive. Technology is well deployed in the class room and they have a diverse curiculum. Finally, the best teachers are actively working to join the faculty and it shows. We don't know if we will keep in our son in the public system for middle school but he will complete elementary school at this excellent school.

Posted July 22, 2009

The school is great for those that perform, but for those that are not the cream of the crop they ignore and hope will go away.

Posted March 31, 2009

The teachers care and spend that extra time with them. Everyone seems to care and be looking out for the best interest of the children. Thank you Lakewood for all you do!

Posted November 10, 2008

This is a great school with great teachers. My daughter is learning so much more than she did in public schools. The staff of Lakewood truly care about the children there. I feel very confident that my kids have an advantage in life due to this school.

Posted August 5, 2008

I love this school. I have one child that has been there for 3 years and one starting Kindergarten this year. The teachers are great. They really keep you informed and truely care about our children. I believe without a doubt this is the best school in the Phenix City area! It makes you feel good to know your kids are in good hands and they are learning at the same time. Thank you Lakewood Staff!

Posted June 6, 2008

This school is very alsome.. my daughter will be starting k this year and son starting 3rd ... he has been going here since k.. and let me tell you he loves it!!!!! and not only that but its the best school around i can say that!!!

Posted January 29, 2008

My oldest daughter has attended Lakewood since the school opened 6 years ago. She is currently in 5th grade while my youngest is in the second grade. Since I am an elementary teacher, I have experienced other schools from a teacher's viewpoint. I have been extremely pleased with the education my children have received at Lakewood. While there is a strong focus on reading due to the school's status as an ARI school, teachers also teach math, science, and social studies on a daily basis. Teachers strive to improve instruction and meet the needs of all learners. Not only are the teachers concerned with the academic progress of all students, they are concerned with the welfare of the whole child. The leadership and faculty are continuously examining ways to improve an already fantastic school. My oldest child is already in mourning over leaving Lakewood when she enters 6th grade.

Posted October 31, 2007

My son attends Lakewood and loves it! He is in the second grade now. He has had wonderful teachers and we see the results at home. Parent are highly encouraged by Mrs. Eller and the teachers to BE INVOLVED! If you are moving the the Phenix City Area, check it out!

Posted July 26, 2007

My son hated the school he went to before Lakewood. Thanks to the teachers and most of all his teacher Mrs.Culpepper he can not wait to start back. She helped show my son that school can be a fun place to lean. I can not wait till this year to see more changes in my son.

Posted July 19, 2007

The school is a science magnet but its main focus is reading. They focus on where they are receiving there funding. The children rarely do science and is not taught math on a daily basis. These children are in 4th grade, do not get the experience of changing classes. We were there for 5 years and up until the last year had great, caring teacher who seemed concerned when the children are having problems or struggling. This past school year the focus was on reading and when approaching the teacher about the subject my child was struggling in I was filled with empty promises to help but they were never fulfilled. I believe my child needs to know the basics and they are so rushed threw here because they only teach the kids to take the SATs.

Posted May 29, 2007

My son has attended Lakewood Elementary for 2 years now.. We are approaching 2nd grade this year.. and I absolutely love it and so does he.

Posted May 9, 2007

I love this school, I would highly recommend anyone putting their child/children in Lakewood. I have a 4th grader and a 1st grader who really enjoy going to school and love their teachers. We are blessed to been able to have the Lakewood experience, because not only is it our school, but the whole faculty has become a part of our family.

Posted December 11, 2005

Lakewood Elementary has a standard that all schools should uphold. The students are taught manners, how to deal with the real world and application of all the basic knowledge taught in elmentary schools. We are fortunate to have found this school. Our son loves science and learning-this is the perfect place. They are constantly striving to improve the learning environment. The parents get involved. It is a pleasure to see students smiling about learning. Thank you.

Posted October 6, 2005

I have two children at Lakewood and I love it! We have a new principal this year and a lot of things changed, but all of the changes were implemented to increase safety/security and to make the school better. We have a wonderful PTA this year and they are constantly working on projects that will benefit the school. We are only a 4 year old school but we are making great strides! Our Media Staff is the best and has the vision of the whole school in mind when purchasing books, equipment, AR quizzes, etc. I rate this school *****!

Posted May 18, 2005

My daughter attended school there part year for 2nd grade. It was the best school she has ever attended! We were very pleased. We are now moving back to Alabama and I will do everythiing in my power to get her back into that school. Everyone was very friendly there, it felt like a very small community with friendly neighbors. They had an awesome reward program for straight A students and readers. The school itself is secluded from the rest of the city which adds to is appeal because I like knowing that no one knows about it unless their children attend that school.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

149 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

149 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

139 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

139 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 91% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2012.

Female86%

Proficient in English95%
Non-migrant95%
Poverty92%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Female92%

Non-migrant97%
Poverty97%
Non-poverty98%

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 27%N/A55%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3010 Silverlake Dr