Clay-Chalkville High School

Public | 9-12 | 1311 students

Sweep tile

Posted August 26, 2005

I'm the parent of a sophmore at CCHS. The community is very friendly and safe. I love the area and my son has been treated very well at the school. They offer many classes, have a very nice facility, many activities to be involved in, etc. Of all the parents and students I've came in contact with, they have nothing but great things to say about the school and administrators at CCHS. Some of the posts on here seem to be from, what I feel, a few disgruntled individuals.

Posted June 22, 2005

This is an outstanding school. My youngest daughter graduated with a 3.70 gpa in 2000. She was a memeber of several academic clubs and organizations and competed in golf, where she was named 6A academic all-state. She also was in the marching band and her senior year the school won the 6A State Championship in football. Upon graduation, she received a partial scholarship to Jacksonvile State University and graduated in exactly 4 years with a 3.80 gpa. She is currently employed with WTTO, Channel 21. I would definitely recommend this school. CCHS has had several outstanding athletic programs, including girls' basketball and they were rated in the top 25 nationally in baseball this past season.

Posted May 28, 2005

This is a terrible school to send your children. The administration is practically never there during the day, the counsellors are outnumbered by the students by an insane amount, calls by parents to the school never get anything accomplished, and the school rules are not specific in any respect. If you want your child to do well and be able to get help from teachers, principals, assistant principals, and the like, do not sent them to Clay-Chalkville High School.

Posted April 17, 2005

If your child is not from a wealthy family and has any type learning problems then this is NOT the place for them. Please trust me and don't make the mistake of judging a place by its outward appearance.

Posted April 1, 2005

As a student at CCHS I can tell you and anyone can tell you that people who have problems usually create them on their own. Teachers and administration at CCHS do not pick favorites. Most of the teachers at CCHS are very involoved in their student's lives and are open to helping them with their problems. I disagree with the sports comment. I myself did not take part in school sports for 2 years and was not treated any differently than I am now that I am. Most teachers respect students that respect them first.

Posted March 23, 2005

I agree completely that athletes and students on sports teams are highly favored in this school. My daughter is learning disabled, is a sophomore, but is still barely passing because she is not getting all the help she is entitled to. We plan to move her to another school at the end of this school year. If you have a child with any disability at all, this is NOT the school for them.

Posted February 18, 2005

I had the displeasure of going to this pathetic so-called school for 2 years. I left after 10th grade due to family needing me. There are a few teachers that are wonderful and should go to a school that deserves them. In my class alone, over 50 students left the same year I did either to get their GED or go to a different school. Trust me, anyone that is saying good things about this school has some reason that they are buttering it up. This school has certain favorites and lets some slide as far as discipline goes. But, as long as you have money or you are on a sports team, you needn't worry about being in trouble for anything. So if your family is well-endowed financially or your child excels sportswise, this is the perfect school. Especially if you want them to get away with things.

Posted February 15, 2005

While a few teachers are wonderful, the administration and the counselors are just the worst. They seem to have no clue about the most effective way to deal with young adults, and forget even getting a return phone call if you have a problem. There is no excuse for the lack of professionalism from the counselors and admin. If you get a good teacher, then you can learn; if not, or if you have any sort of problem overall, you are out of luck. Needs much improvement.

Posted January 28, 2005

CCHS is an excellent school. Great staff, helpful counselors, friendly teachers, and numerous clubs and extracurricular activies to get involved in. Drugs are a small problem, like all schools, but it doesn't affect anybody who is not involved in them. Any problem in the school (excessive stealing, fights, drugs) was handled swiftly and effectively by the administrators. Fights are a minimum now because students are sent to alternative school instead of suspended. I am VERY offended by by the re-zoning recommendation (supposedly to 'eliminate most, if not all of the problems that the young people face at CCHS'). I guess they meant re-zoning the apts. that housed the 'other students'. These towns (Clay, Chalkville, Pinson, and Trussville) need to accept the fact that we are trying to better ourselves and need to stop running from us and making it hard for us to prosper.

Posted January 23, 2005

I 'm A sophomore at CCHS. In my opinion i think that CCHS is on of the top schools in Alabama. But we have one of the top Chiors in the state,our football team gets better every year,we always have something going on at our school,our teachers are always there if we need help most if not all will tutor you if you sign up to come in that morning or afternoon and our Principals really care they are always out in the halls watching out for anything that might happen,they really care about what we do with our life. i think that the students really watch out for each other& have pride in our school.

Posted January 17, 2005

I extremely disagree with what everyone is saying about it being 'a great school' and 'the best in alabama'. Those who said that must be the parents of the kids who think their children are so great because they're on football or baseball or any other sport, The principals (including Mr. Shankles) pick and choose who they'll be nice to. The children who play sports always have it easier because they make the school 'look good'. Average kids have it harder in school b/c they aren't representing this school that shouldn't have ever been made. If you ask me, the whole school should be burnt to a crisp!

Posted January 10, 2005

I was not only a student at this remarkable high school, I was also an athlete and was fortunate enough to be a part of the State Championship team. I had never heard of teachers that cared as much as the ones I was blessed to have. I am still a resident of Clay and see former teachers all the time, suprisingly, they care just as much now as they did when I was a student. I am currently a student at Wallace State, and I know in my heart I wouldnt be where I am, had it not been blessed with the teachers at Clay-Chalkville.

Posted December 23, 2004

I graduated from Clay Chalkville and I really enjoyed all 4 years there! The teachers and staff were all encouraging and academics were challenging. There were so many clubs and activities to choose from: sports, student council, choir, and just about everyone was involved in something. I believe that I recieved a great education from CCHS and would highly recommend attending there to any high-school student!

Posted October 8, 2004

As a college student at Auburn University, I look back on my experiences, both in and out of the classroom, and thank God for the opportunity to grow up in such a remarkable place. During my adolescent years, I was fortunate enough to have a dedicated administration and committed educators. Since my graduation in 2001, I no longer have a residents in the Clay area, but still have family and friends who do. I agree that a re-zoning of the school would eliminate most, if not all of the problems that the young people face at CCHS. I still think that Clay is the best community and environment for a child to grow up in, but if quick and decisive changes aren t made, I hate to admit it, but the Clay I remember want be the Clay your children remember.

Posted October 5, 2004

I'm currently a Junior(class of '06)at Clay Chalkville High and I think that it is a wonderful school, sure it has its problems,but every school does. The facutly and administation are great and race relations are continually getting better. Go Cougars!

Posted August 16, 2004

I am not a parent. I was a student at Clay Elementary and Clay-Chalkville my whole life. Now that I look back there is not a thing that I could possibly think of to say bad about the schools. In addition, I would love to add that I am very happy that I got the chance to attend a school where the administration cared so much about what went on in the students lives. I remember my freshman year in science class having a teacher that was not just there to teach but also there to help. I will never forget that teacher for the rest of my life. He is a principal now at Clay and deserves it very much so.

Posted August 13, 2004

My daughter attended CCHS as a sophomore the first year the school opened and I immediately saw a difference in her drive to succeed. She went from a tolerance of school to a true enjoyment of school. She played two sports each year and kept her grades at honor roll status. My son now attends and this is his senior year. He's enjoyed his time at CCHS as well. The staff has helped instill in him the importance of planning for his own future. As for quality of education I'm very happy. My children have not had to be distracted with violence or negative environment. As far as communication with parents I am extremely impressed with e-mails and phone calls whenever needed. I reccommend CCHS to anyone looking for an all around safe, enjoyable and successful high school experience.

Posted June 29, 2004

I think Clay-Chalkville is a great school. I have noticed great improvement in my child's personality, leadership ability, grades and their overall being. I partially contribute this to great leadership at the school, teamwork among parents and school staff and the children themselves. I would like my child to continue on their secondary education journey at Clay.

Posted May 5, 2004

I disagree with the reviews below. I am a student at cchs, and it is a great school. I dont understand all the comments about fighting, there is hardly ever a fight at school. everyone knows it is an auotomatic suspension, and if you fight in the cafeteria, you are put in alternative school. I also disagrre with the comments about drugs. sure there are drugs, but no more than any other school. The difference is that the principals at clay dont hide stuff. If you are caught with drugs, you go to alternative school and you are arrested. there is one assistant principal at school that knows more about the drugs there and in the community than anyone. Believe me, the people that use drugs steer way clear of him. the school is even going to start a drug testing program next year. I think cchs is great.

Posted April 23, 2004

I disagree. I am a student at CCHs and it is great. sure there are some drugs, like all schools. The administration does a great job of catching those who actually bring drugs to school. I know of a nearby school who hides it when they catch people. There is one assistant prin. who is like a demon when it comes to drugs, I could name him but I am not sure I am supposed to. my mom recently went to the meeting with the principal, and CCHs will be the first school in jefferson county to do drug testing. again, I think the school is great-much better than where I used to go.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 95% in 2012.

318 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Language

The state average for Language was 75% in 2012.

321 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

321 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2012.

320 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2009.

257 students were tested at this school in 2009.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 71% in 2012.

320 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % passing

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama High School Graduation Exam (AHSGE) to test high school students in reading, math, language, biology and social studies. High school students must pass the AHSGE in order to graduate. The AHSGE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 98% in 2012.

Language

The state average for Language was 90% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 95% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 94% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 94% in 2009.

301 students were tested at this school in 2009.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 90% in 2012.

All Students97%

Non-migrant61%
Poverty47%
Non-poverty70%
Scale: % passing

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students100%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 37%N/A55%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
College counselor(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music