Prattville Jr High School

Public | 7-10, 12

Posted December 1, 2013

I am attending PJHS right now and I thoroughly enjoy it. The principal is strict but he does his job. The Band program is amazing. They give a lot of individualized attention when needed. The school offers several clubs including Beta Club, Future Business Leaders of America, Fellowship of Christian Students, and more. They also have several sports including football, boys and girls basketball, girls volleyball, and they also have varsity sports with PHS. I enjoy all of my teachers and most classes. Our school could improve on the funding of the band program as they are not receiving any funding and are relying on students fundraising.

Posted February 6, 2013

As most of the other reviews have stated, if you are a military family...RUN from this school. Our daughter is in 7th grade. Prior to moving here she was a straight A student, no discipline problems, and very active in sports. I have had to go to the school 5 times in four months to resolve issues. My daughter broke her right-hand at gumnastics, she was told by a teacher that she didn't need help, she could write with her left. The list is a mile long on what we have put up with. Most of the children in the school were born and raised here and treat the military kids coming in as outsiders. This is my daughters 7th school and the first time it has really made me feel that we have done her a disservice. She is so miserable, she begs to stay home daily. I have talked to other military parents in the community and this pretty much the story I got, only a few have had good results from this school. If you can afford it, send your kid to private school or look at Millbrook or Wetumpka. Prattville is not all it said to be.

Posted February 3, 2013

2/2013 my daughter just started here and she hates it she says kids pick on her friends and she's afraid there going to start picking on her so I'm seriously thinking of puting her in home school.

Posted November 4, 2012

As a military family we always have the difficult decision of where to send our children for their education. We chose to send our daughter to PJHS and have been pleasantly surprised. We have encountered ZERO bullying within the school. The band program is excellent and through testing, advanced courses are available to students. The teachers eat lunch with the students which I find extraordinary which allows the students to develop stronger relationships with those they interact with on a daily basis. The school does the best it can with the funds available and encourages the children to enter essay contests, music solo and ensemble festivals as well as be active in their community. The private schools don't seem to offer much more for such a high pricetag and I did not want to gamble putting my daughter into the lottery at a magnet school in Montgomery. The new principal seems to have a good handle on his students and faculty. We would not hesitate to send our other children to this school should we get stationed to Maxwell AFB again.

Posted May 2, 2012

<b>ADMISTRATION IS HORRIBLE!!!<b> my child was an 8th grader at PJHS. My daughter was bullied for MONTHS at school and on the bus!! The 8th grade assistant principal had no interest in me trying to report what was going on!! PLEASE HEED ALL THE REAL PARENT REVIEWS AND STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL!! I had to stay until the completion of my job but I cant wait to get away from this school and have no interest in sending my children to another Prattville School. I too was lead to believe this was a good school. My child was also harnessed by a teacher and nothing was done! The principal at this school is now the superintendent of the school district so ... there you go! I know there is no hope!! My child had finished her lunch and proceeded to read a book and was told by the teacher who was harassing her to stop reading or she would be wrote up!! WHO DOES THAT! My child stayed in fear everyday she went to school. If by some horrible chance you have to send your child here ( i would highly recommend home schooling vs going to this school) i would keep copies of EVERYTHING being put in your child's school records and move away as soon as possible! I am!!

Posted February 23, 2012

DISTURBING: Since Nov 2011, my 7th grade son: (1) was harassed by a teacher's aide; (2) had a teacher make disparaging remarks about him openly in class; (3) was openly mocked by school officials, and (4) recently physically assaulted by a bus driver who allowed to retain her job. Please know: our son is a really good kid with no prior disciplinarian problems, and life is great at home. Additionally, the principal rejected our concerns, and the superintendant refused to meet with us for nearly 4-months--which is a violation of school policy. When we finally met, we were pretty much told we would just have to live with the injustices and other numerous policy violations. Very troubling....

Posted January 26, 2012

NO MILITARY SUPPORT!! It is clear the leadership of this school and the Alabama Department of Education does not support the military families. We have had the worst luck with trying to integrate our daughter into PJHS and the 7th grade Principal was no help. We were spoke down to and they treated us as if we didn't matter. We were forced to homeschool our daughter because we could not afford private school. In addition, I say the Alabama Department of Education because there are thousands of reviews out there that all say the same thing and they have done nothing to correct it. It is no wonder Alabama schools are ranked 48 out of 50.

Posted December 6, 2010

Read these reviews! As a military family moving to the area we were lead to believe that Prattville public schools were "good". I have never been so disappointed in a school, and this will be our fifth, can't wait to move! Communication is nil, complaints to the administration are totally ignored! I have requested to have my child moved out of a class due to inappropriiate behavior by a teacher and NEVER even had my phone call returned! How is this even possible? It is clear that my students saftey is of no concern.

Posted May 8, 2010

Great Teachers! Poor Leadership! I have never been treated so poorly. There is just no other way to put this...PJHS' Administration must hate parents. As a military officer and a proud defender of this country, I am sad that my tax dollars (and yours) are wasted on the salaries of PJHS' Adminsitration.

Posted April 12, 2010

I go to this schooland it is excellent! I am in 7th grade and would recomend anyone to go to this school it has a great staff and facuilty and the teachers make learning fun. If you are planning to moving to the montgomery area please prattville it is a great city and has great schools *Go Cats*

Posted March 19, 2010

My child is currently in the 7th grade at PJHS. I have had two other children to attend PJHS before moving on to PHS. I have never had a problem with the teachers or administrators. My children have received a quality education there and made some great memories. The school administrators are very strict. I am thankful for that. If not, PJHS would have the same problems that all of the other junior high schools have in this area.

Posted February 25, 2010

I am not one to complain. But!!! The administration and office staff at PJHS are the rudest group of people I have ever dealt with . If you have an issue(big or small) with their extremely rigid system, it's just too bad. Believe me, the administration will stand behind a teacher No matter what. They will use every word in the 'handbook' to their advantage. You and/or your child mean nothing. My children are super achievers and have always been exceptional students, both academically and socially. We have never had a problem with any school, teacher, or office staff. Until now. It doesn't matter at PJHS. Everyone is fair game to their nastiness. Trust me. If there was any way possible for me to transfer to private school or home school, I would not hesitate! Do yourself a favor and talk to other parents before making this mistake!

Posted September 6, 2008

There is good communication with the teachers. The Principal lacks proffessionalism. Does not address problems. The front office staff are also rude.

Posted September 6, 2008

Is a very safe school and the teachers are really good!

Posted May 16, 2008

PJHS is a very good, safe school. I fell totaly comfortable going to school everyday and i know not only will I be safe, but I know that i will learn something from a good teacher. The vice princepals are very strict, but on whole are helpful. There are many good teachers and only few that are pretty bad. On whole, the school is excellent and prepares its students for the large High school.

Posted October 30, 2007

Challenging academics and very caring, informative teachers and adminitration. There are some sports activities, but limited. There is an excellent band progam, but no orchestra.

Posted September 23, 2007

The only negative associated with this school is that the front office administration puts out an attitude of unhelpfulness. When you walk into the office, no one acknowleges your presence, no one greets you and no one smiles. Once my child was enrolled, however, I have found that the teachers are excellent and very demanding, and that the school is very well-run. The advanced classes are excellent. The kids are great, the teachers are involved, the school spirit is fantastic and we have been very, very pleased overall with the school.

Posted April 28, 2006

PJHS lacks good leadership. There have been instances where fairness has been the issue toward the students and when I have enquired to have something done about it I was basically blown off. After voicing my frustrations to the principal himself I was told I should be glad then that PJHS is only a 2 year school for my child and that I always have other options! I also sent my concerns to the Board of Education but never got a response. This school also lacks proper classes for advanced students. My child has been bored with most of her classes because before we moved to Autauga County she had always been in the Gifted program, everthing here is repeat for her. This shool has been nothing but a huge disappointment for us.

Posted April 24, 2006

There is a profound spirit of intimidation towards parents and students alike. The Administrators seem to forget who they work for! They are very difficult to work with and they are unwilling to work cooperatively with Parents. A very unprofessional group. Educators constantly ask for Parental support for their efforts but, this school and school board could care less about the parents / taxpayers. Way past time for a drastic change in Autauga County. I highly recommend placing your child in a Private School!

Posted April 13, 2006

Shame on the administration for treating parents of JH students rudely and with disrespect. Parents influence the attitudes of the students, and it would not be surprising to see the parents' disappointment reflected in student behavior.
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

All Students90%

Not migrant96%
Poverty91%
Not poverty98%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students95%

Not migrant92%
Poverty84%
Not poverty97%

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

Poverty85%
Not poverty97%
Scale: % level 3 or level 4

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 98% in 2013.

Language

The state average for Language was 91% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 95% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 94% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama High School Graduation Exam (AHSGE) to test high school students in reading, math, language, biology and social studies. High school students must pass the AHSGE in order to graduate. The AHSGE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

Language

Social Studies

Scale: % passing

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 41%N/A56%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1089 North Chestnut