7-10, 12
Prattville, AL
Students enrolled: 1,089

Prattville Jr High School 5

Posted November 23, 2014
My son has attended both years. There is a new principal and she is doing a good job. I have one problem which is we can not choose our child's teachers. My son is above average, has mediocre teachers who do not challenge him, and homework is not given daily. Too many student teachers. I love love love the way this school handles bullying. To me it seems students are allowed to decide who they are and hang with students who have similar interst without being judged or bullied. I love the fact that the teachers are at the tables. I do have one problem which is thry will not allow them to bring water bottles to school. It us important my son drnks water and after watching first hand how nasty 12, 13, and 14 year olds are with water fountains i dont want him drinking from them.

Prattville Jr High School 5

Posted December 01, 2013
I am attending PJHS right now and I thoroughly enjoy it. The principal is strict but he does his job. The Band program is amazing. They give a lot of individualized attention when needed. The school offers several clubs including Beta Club, Future Business Leaders of America, Fellowship of Christian Students, and more. They also have several sports including football, boys and girls basketball, girls volleyball, and they also have varsity sports with PHS. I enjoy all of my teachers and most classes. Our school could improve on the funding of the band program as they are not receiving any funding and are relying on students fundraising.

Posted February 06, 2013
As most of the other reviews have stated, if you are a military family...RUN from this school. Our daughter is in 7th grade. Prior to moving here she was a straight A student, no discipline problems, and very active in sports. I have had to go to the school 5 times in four months to resolve issues. My daughter broke her right-hand at gumnastics, she was told by a teacher that she didn't need help, she could write with her left. The list is a mile long on what we have put up with. Most of the children in the school were born and raised here and treat the military kids coming in as outsiders. This is my daughters 7th school and the first time it has really made me feel that we have done her a disservice. She is so miserable, she begs to stay home daily. I have talked to other military parents in the community and this pretty much the story I got, only a few have had good results from this school. If you can afford it, send your kid to private school or look at Millbrook or Wetumpka. Prattville is not all it said to be.

Posted February 03, 2013
2/2013 my daughter just started here and she hates it she says kids pick on her friends and she's afraid there going to start picking on her so I'm seriously thinking of puting her in home school.

Prattville Jr High School 4

Posted November 04, 2012
As a military family we always have the difficult decision of where to send our children for their education. We chose to send our daughter to PJHS and have been pleasantly surprised. We have encountered ZERO bullying within the school. The band program is excellent and through testing, advanced courses are available to students. The teachers eat lunch with the students which I find extraordinary which allows the students to develop stronger relationships with those they interact with on a daily basis. The school does the best it can with the funds available and encourages the children to enter essay contests, music solo and ensemble festivals as well as be active in their community. The private schools don't seem to offer much more for such a high pricetag and I did not want to gamble putting my daughter into the lottery at a magnet school in Montgomery. The new principal seems to have a good handle on his students and faculty. We would not hesitate to send our other children to this school should we get stationed to Maxwell AFB again.

Posted May 02, 2012
<b>ADMISTRATION IS HORRIBLE!!!<b> my child was an 8th grader at PJHS. My daughter was bullied for MONTHS at school and on the bus!! The 8th grade assistant principal had no interest in me trying to report what was going on!! PLEASE HEED ALL THE REAL PARENT REVIEWS AND STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL!! I had to stay until the completion of my job but I cant wait to get away from this school and have no interest in sending my children to another Prattville School. I too was lead to believe this was a good school. My child was also harnessed by a teacher and nothing was done! The principal at this school is now the superintendent of the school district so ... there you go! I know there is no hope!! My child had finished her lunch and proceeded to read a book and was told by the teacher who was harassing her to stop reading or she would be wrote up!! WHO DOES THAT! My child stayed in fear everyday she went to school. If by some horrible chance you have to send your child here ( i would highly recommend home schooling vs going to this school) i would keep copies of EVERYTHING being put in your child's school records and move away as soon as possible! I am!!

Posted February 23, 2012
DISTURBING: Since Nov 2011, my 7th grade son: (1) was harassed by a teacher's aide; (2) had a teacher make disparaging remarks about him openly in class; (3) was openly mocked by school officials, and (4) recently physically assaulted by a bus driver who allowed to retain her job. Please know: our son is a really good kid with no prior disciplinarian problems, and life is great at home. Additionally, the principal rejected our concerns, and the superintendant refused to meet with us for nearly 4-months--which is a violation of school policy. When we finally met, we were pretty much told we would just have to live with the injustices and other numerous policy violations. Very troubling....

Posted January 26, 2012
NO MILITARY SUPPORT!! It is clear the leadership of this school and the Alabama Department of Education does not support the military families. We have had the worst luck with trying to integrate our daughter into PJHS and the 7th grade Principal was no help. We were spoke down to and they treated us as if we didn't matter. We were forced to homeschool our daughter because we could not afford private school. In addition, I say the Alabama Department of Education because there are thousands of reviews out there that all say the same thing and they have done nothing to correct it. It is no wonder Alabama schools are ranked 48 out of 50.

Posted December 06, 2010
Read these reviews! As a military family moving to the area we were lead to believe that Prattville public schools were "good". I have never been so disappointed in a school, and this will be our fifth, can't wait to move! Communication is nil, complaints to the administration are totally ignored! I have requested to have my child moved out of a class due to inappropriiate behavior by a teacher and NEVER even had my phone call returned! How is this even possible? It is clear that my students saftey is of no concern.

Posted May 08, 2010
Great Teachers! Poor Leadership! I have never been treated so poorly. There is just no other way to put this...PJHS' Administration must hate parents. As a military officer and a proud defender of this country, I am sad that my tax dollars (and yours) are wasted on the salaries of PJHS' Adminsitration.

Prattville Jr High School
1089 North Chestnut, Prattville, AL  36067
Last modified Prattville Jr High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-10, 12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Prattville Jr High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top