Daniel Pratt Elementary School

Public | 1-6

Posted August 18, 2014

We are millitary one parrent active one retired. This tour to Maxwell started with AWC. We have been here for three years. We have a 1st grader and a 6th grader this year. Previous school was in Greenville NC. First there are 1200 students at this school. 6th grade class size will be just over 30 students this year. As with any school, the learning environment for the child is teacher/parent dependent. Teachers do not have time to focus on each child. They do a good job of presenting the material in standard way, and the parent will need to help thier child with any issues. This was the same with our last school. The constant fund raising is anoying to parents and distracting to students but necessary to do with budget cuts. I've had very little interaction with the administration, but they seem cordial enough. The lacking arts programs are standard in all disticts that have to choose between comon core and "extra" courses. Recent rankings put Alabama 48th. If you are comming from the North East, or the Mid west you may be dissapointed, but as compared to other schools in the south then Daniel Pratt does an excellent job.

Posted June 18, 2014

During this past year 2013/2014 school year, my daughter has had the best experience ever at DPES. My daughter struggled in previous years at the school and had teachers who did not take time out to help her when she needed help. This past year in fifth grade, my daughter had the teacher by the name of, Ms. Myers who taught (math, science and history) and she was God sent to my daughter. She took time out to make sure that not only was my daughter getting the information but that ALL of her peers were getting it. I have another child who will be entering fifth grade next year and we were hoping that he would have Ms. Myers as well but we heard from other disappointed parents that she was moved to special education for some "co-teaching" thing the school has decided to do this 2014/2015 school year. This is very disappointing to see wonderful classroom teachers to be taken away from children who are average students just as my daughter and son. We are a military family and we have now decided to homeschool our children for the simple reasons of DPES is always changing too much (teachers being moved and inconsistence of administration).

Posted May 21, 2014

My kids didn't learn ANYTHING new until Dec and have been watching movies since ACTs. Mediocre teachers co-teach with yellers or someone who refuses to answer students' questions, replying, "I already explained that! Go sit down!" This sort of duo is common here. DPES front doors remain unlocked with no buzz-in system. Office staff (generally parent volunteers not at the desk, who NEVER answer the phone) can't SEE the doors, so anyone can walk into the building. Meanwhile, kids are ALWAYS in lock-down in their classrooms. Volunteering, unless it's to make $ for the PTA, is discouraged. A military wife was asked to correct papers in the hallway when she insisted on coming in. School is cancelled constantly after the superintendent leaves frantic-sounding messages saying they won't endanger the lives of students. You won't change your child's ride-home option without a hassle on such days! Teacher emails are ignored. "No child left behind" means faster- and slower-moving groups elsewhere, but here everyone is held back, even after grasping the info. It's been the throw-away year everyone told us it would be when we moved to AL! We're getting out of the Prattville ISD!

Posted April 8, 2014

I LOVE DPES! My children, 2nd grade& 5th grade, LOVE DPES! The teachers & staff there are wonderful! In response to some of the previous posts, admin at DPES are more then willing to assist parents with anything! We have been there for 3 years and have not had a problem with admin at all. I think our principal is more then willing to answer questions and return phone calls if the questions require an answer.He is a busy man, therefore if the questions asked can be found in the handbook or on the website, you may not get a call back, and I think that is reasonable.Our school lacks funds for technology, therefore there are fundraisers that students are asked to participate in to better their school.That is reasonable. Snack Store:I have been in there and can assure you, it is all nutritious. Just like lunchroom, snack store by law has to have nutritious food provided for purchase. If you do not think the snacks there are healthy enough for your child, by all means pack them a snack from home! I only gave 4 stars because in any school there is always room for improvement!! I wish there was an APT meeting once a month or so opened up to ALL parents. Other then that, I LOVE DPES!

Posted April 8, 2014

Great School, Great Teachers! Great APT! Both parents and teacher's at DPES work to the common goal and that is their students.

Posted February 26, 2014

Do not go here. It is worse than any Montgomery school. They are rude, condescending, lazy, and unsupportive.

Posted February 26, 2014

ACSC / War College Students be warned. This school is terrible. The principal is the big sheriff in town with a horrible temper. He must be threatened by military because treats the families that have moved into this school district to be a part of this community, for this school specifically - terribly. Do not move into this school district, do not place your children in the care of the monster at the head of this school. My daughter's class has had 2 other families besides us dis-enroll to home school for the remainder of their time in Prattville.

Posted February 8, 2014

As a teacher at this school, I understand many of the recent poor reviews our school has gotten. Our admins keep piling stuff on us, we're doing the bookkeeper's job and the janitor's job, and are asked to put on a show for everything. Our extra tasks have taken away a lot of our planning time, which should be used for planning meaningful lessons and grading papers. Instead, we spend a lot of that time doing bookkeeping, attending meetings, and getting other required tasks completed. Parents, please know that we want the best for your children, and are trying our best. I also don't understand the constant fundraisers and money-making events. Enough is enough! I do love this school and our faculty, but there is a definite need for improvement. I'd like to go back to main reason I do what I do; TEACH and TOUCH LIVES! Military families, please don't "run" away from this school; have faith, do your research, and get facts straight. DPES is a wonderful school with some amazing teachers who are willing to give your children the best education they can; they just need some support.

Posted October 20, 2013

First I can't not believe how much money they ask for! Not only do they ask for money but children who donate (or parents that can afford to) get to go to a party. Rewarding children for giving your school money is pathetic, they are there to learn not to be used. They only have recess/PE once a day. They call it PE but it is not an organized PE like most are use to. They basically have the kids run a couple laps and then the rest of the time the kids just play on the playground. They do not have Art, and music is only twice a month, and if your child's library book is late they charge .05 cents a day! Everything they do is to make money, they are running a business and not a school.They have a snack shop where they sale overpriced sugar/fat snacks but don't think about bringing your child fast food for lunch because they won't let you even if its a wendy's salad. When we moved here I asked to speak to the principal, wrote a note, waited for a call, he never called. If you are military you are not going like it here, I am now homeschooling-never thought I would be and this past month I have meet 2 other women who are doing the same, all pulled their kids from Daniel Pratt.

Posted October 16, 2013

I have been very happy with this elementary school, both of my girls go to this school and I am so pleased with the quality of school this is. They have had great teacher and their grades are excellent. The teachers and staff are wondferful.

Posted October 6, 2013

Our daughter is in the 3rd grade at DPES & has been a student there for nearly a year. She has two very organized and creative teachers. They focus on mastery while continuing to introduce new skills. They always challenge the children to improve above their own personal best. Commnunication is excellent & volunteers are welcome. Positive incentives are used for both academics & behavior. They do have a recess every day, despite what others have said. The outside play time is incorporated into the PE time slot. If your child is a car rider DPES has a very organized system put into place so that drop off & pick up is done so in an orderly & safe fashion. My daughter's classrooms have several computers for daily use & the school is in the process of opening up 2 technology classrooms for weekly use by each class. I do have a few concerns. They lack extracurricular classes such as weekly music & art. I also have a concern with the principal. I have not had any personal run ins with him but based on the lack of organization & information available at the open house, I was not impressed. The Vice Principal, however, seemed much more together.

Posted July 18, 2013

Terrible. Just terrible. The academics are weak, the teachers highly unqualified, and the majority of the time is spent on trying to punish problem children.

Posted May 22, 2013

Daniel Pratt Elementary is an absolutely amazing school. They've certainly set the bar high on my children's future schools as we move throughout the Air Force World. The head principal is a wonderful leader and is an asset to the community to which he serves. The asst. principals are just as wonderful and responsive to your needs throughout the entire year. The teachers, there are no words to express how over the top amazing they really are! The one on one, the group setting, and the instruction is absolutely creative, fun, and excititng! My children have blossomed socially and educationally more this year than any other! In my opinion you can not go wrong by choosing this wonderful school for your children!

Posted April 2, 2013

We were here for ACSC so have only had one year's experience with DPES. A lot of reviews say this school is awful. I personally don't agree. They are dealing with too many kids, and have cut several programs like art and some music. The fundraising is truly never ending, i am so tired of being asked for money, but i understand why they need them. My daughter is in 2nd grade and i hate that they have no recess. the snack shack is purely a money maker for them, the snacks are all non-nutritive. However, having said that my daughter's teacher Ms. Mims, has been FABULOUS!! She never raises her voice, she's extremely organized and creative. my daughter is doing very well in her studies and constantly comes home with excited stories of the science experiments they've done and the art projects they've made. She promptly responds to any email i send her and even took my daughter out to dinner when she reached her goal of achieving 100 AR points for reading this year. I volunteer there once a week and have always been treated cordially by the office staff and told repeatedly that they appreciate my time. All in all, i think this is a decent school that just has room for improvement

Posted January 30, 2013

This is our first year at DPES and I have been more than pleased. Coming from a small town school surrounded by friends that he grew up with, my son has adjusted here amazingly well. I love that the school has the option of email notifications. I am at the school more than once a week substituting. Im seeing things from as close as I can get to the inside without actually teaching, and I have no complaints. The teachers are friendly and seem to care about the students. I wanted to leave a positive comment because it seems everyone only takes the time to leave bad reviews.

Posted December 12, 2012

This school needs to bring back parent-teacher conferences. The parents and teachers should be working as a team. Other than that, I have been somewhat pleased with this school.

Posted August 22, 2012

We moved to our house just to be in this school. It was absolutely awful! In one instance the teacher gave an assignment and 1/2 of the class did it wrong, so she ridiculed them publically. We asked her if since that many did it wrong perhaps she didn't explain it well. She said, maybe yes, but never apologized. Another teacher consistently said one thing and did another. Another teacher could not explain what the standardized test scores meant. Children are not permitted to eat any kind of candy, okay that's a good thing, but then why can they go to the snack bar and buy high calorie snacks? We pulled our children out and homeschooled them. I recommend you do the same.

Posted August 7, 2012

If you are considering this school for your child, please take my advice...run, don't walk from this disaster of a school. The principal is lazy, unresponsive, and very dismissive of parents. Even the teachers who are remotely caring and/or active do not stand a chance when up against the lacking principal, school board, and superintendent. It is a shame (and a joke) that this school is considered superior to the other schools in Prattville. Ultimately, I would choose ANY school over this one.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 15, 2012

We have been a part of the DPES family since my daughter was in 1st grade. No run in with principal n vp r nice front desk lady Sarah. first recommend Horton now Johnson i think 3rd defintly mrs stewrat n 5th byard n myers ms harp is good too other teachers well good luck

Posted June 12, 2012

DPES has some GREAT teachers, some are there for the right reasons and others are there for a paycheck and summer off. Its not DPES that is failing its the school system. Most of the staff at DPES have become puppets to the system and forget they are able to stand up for these kids. Parents that do nothing but complain are no better. Military or not we are all parents fighting a war here. A war for a better education for our kids. I want not only a good education for my child but the ones that will follow them. Do your own research parents and don't just complain. Write a letter, gather information and make a difference!

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 93% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

All Students86%

Not migrant92%
Poverty84%
Not poverty96%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students85%

Not migrant96%
Poverty95%
Not poverty96%

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 34%N/A56%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

420 Harvest Loop