No rating

Prattville Kinderg School

Public | K

Posted August 27, 2013

If your child has separation anxiety the Marijac Hunt is not the teacher for them. I think she started off being an attentive teacher but as she has had her own children and years has passed, so has that characteristic. She has not reached out to my son once, not with a hug, a pat on the shoulder or even a kind word. She comes off as cold hearted.

Posted June 19, 2012

My second son completed a wonderful year at PKS in 2012. The Principal reminded the children daily to make it a great day, or not - the choice was theirs. This prompted wonderful school to home conversations at the dinner table as discussions led to celebrations for good choices and helpful hints for others. I also felt that the Principal's high visibility throughout the day contributed to a safe environment and gave parents confidence in the fact that she knew her school, faculty, staff, parents, and students. As she monitored the halls in the mornings, she greeted students by name, gave them compliments, smiles and hugs before sending them on their way. My son loved to wear his NASCAR jacket because Mrs. Riddle always told him the jacket was her favorite! She monitored dismissal at the front doors in the afternoon, even sometimes directing traffic herself. Because this school had such wonderful leadership, the day ran smoothly. Great teachers delivered challenging lessons and provided opportunities for social growth. I know my son is well prepared for 1st grade. Thank you PKS and Mrs. Riddle for developing and maintaining a safe, nurturing, loving, and clean environment!

Posted December 8, 2011

I have a child who had to make the difficult transition not only from relocating but then shortly there after starting Kindergarten. It has only been a half a semester but so far my child loves school! The staff has always been very pleasant when I pop in or attend class functions. My Childs teacher is AWESOME Now these are kindergarteners and they may play ruff but from what I experienced from the school and the bus no bullying allowed! Great school, Awesome teacher, fabulous souther style hot lunches! I'm glad my child is happy and thriving!

Posted October 17, 2011

My son attends PKS and he loves it! Although it is early in the year, I can already see how much he's learned. He has a wonderful, patient teacher whom I can tell truly cares for the children in her class. The school administration is nothing but nice everytime I visit the school. I was nervous having my first child start Kindergarten, but have found this transition easy for him (and me)! My son has a food allergy and the nurse and staff have been very accomodating and overly cautious at all times, which is such a relief and comfort to me.

Posted June 15, 2011

I had a lot of reservations about sending my son to Kindergarten as he's been slow in developing his social skills as well as other areas. He barely made the age cut-off (being one of the very youngest in kindergarten) to add to my concern. I was very upfront with his teacher regarding his development and areas of weakness, she was grateful for the information and was confident she would be able to work with him. My son adores his teacher and had the BEST time at school. It was a wonderful learning opportunity for him...and me!

Posted May 11, 2011

Im not sure why this is listed as a preschool when it is a Kindergarten. But we have had a great year at PKS! Our older children attended Kinder in a different state and both had issues with not being fully ready for the transition to 1st grade. However our youngest daughter has thrived here and we feel very confident in her continuing to 1st grade. The teachers and staff are all amazing and very friendly and helpful. They really encourage parental involvement in the class and on field trips. Our year with PKS has been a wonderful experience!

Posted September 18, 2009

Both of my children have attended this school. They had wonderful experiences. The teachers and administration go above and beyond to ensure a fun and successful kindergarten experience. Thanks PKS!

Posted June 26, 2009

I had a child at PKS last year and was very pleased. I loved the warm, caring atmosphere and the cute western theme. My child enjoyed going to school every day. He is reading above grade level and is definately ready for first grade. The principal is involved and very concerned about student safety.

Posted September 25, 2008

I have two children 19 months apart so I have had kids in this school for going on two years. I have been room mom both years and have really seen the 'inside workings' of this school. It is wonderful! The teachers really care and put their hearts into it! Parent involvement is higher than most, which makes a huge difference. School was never meant to replace parents but to aid them in educating their children. Schools are the tools but parents are still the means! I love this school and know it had a tough reading program and strives to obtain high standards. I appreciate the teachers and their commitment to children. My children both have had Dashielle Miller and she could not be more wonderful!

Posted August 17, 2008

Thanks PKS! Our son attended in 2007-2008 and had a great time! Mrs. Stephanie was fabulous and he's performing at or above grade level in all subjects! We wish that the wonderful experience that we had at PKS could have followed us to Daniel Pratt, but it didn't and now we have transferred our child to a different school district.

Posted April 30, 2008

This is a GREAT school! My daughter has had a great year in Mrs. Youngblood's class! She is a great teacher, and does an excellent job. I have been on all of the field trips with the class, and all of the kids Love Mrs. Youngblood. My daughter has learned a lot this year. She is in the Accelerated Reader Program, and has done an excellent job! She has been very happy going to PKS. There seems to be great communication between school and home. Mrs. Riddle is great, as is the rest of the staff @ PKS. WE LOVE PKS!!!

Posted October 30, 2007

Absolutely loved this school! The teachers and the administration ensure the first school experience for their students is one where they feel happy, safe, and secure. My son had Mrs. Ennis and she was outstanding. I'm hoping my other son gets her when he starts next year. They start the Accelerated Reader program during the second semester. I was thrilled to see how quickly my son was reading and excelled once in the program. There are no extra curricular activities at this school, but the parental involvement is very high.

Posted August 20, 2007

my daughter is a student there. She has done her 4 K in a private school. I searched on the internet for some of the best schools in prattville,and PKS was on the top list,made me to move my daughter to this school. Everyday after the school she tells me, 'mom this school is not for my age, this is a baby school'.When she was in 4 K she learned to write and read. Now she can readstory books.Whereas this 5K they just make the kids colour, sing rhymes, play thatsit. Now if i want to move her to other school or the previous school,i cant get admission.Every thing is full. The biggest blunder i made to my kid.I dont like PKS.

Posted August 1, 2007

This is an amazing school. My daughter had a great year in Mrs. Horton's room. Mrs. Horton is a very caring teacher and treats all of the children as if they were her own. There are ample opportunities for parental involvement if you let the school or the APT know that you want to be involved. Although the building is old, it is exceptionally clean and well maintained.

Posted June 1, 2007

We loved Prattville Kindergarten! We loved the idea of a school inclusive to just Kindergarteners - everything in their environment was aimed specifically at that age group. My daughter's teacher, Miss Marijac, was absolutely wonderful. We are so glad our daughter had that experience as her first school experience - now she just loves school, and we know that feeling will last her a lifetime! The school building is older, but the staff work hard to make it a homey as well as educational environment. We are also a military family, so now we have set the standard for how students should be treated. We also felt the academics were just fine - it is, after all, just kindergarten. My daughter has a great start to her future! Parental involvement was surprisingly low - but it's what you make of it. The school provided ample opportunities for volunteering.

Posted June 1, 2007

I found this school, which houses just Kindergarten classes, to be a delight. It was the best first-school opportunity for my daughter. We all enjoyed this school and the many activities it provided. My daughter had a wonderful experience there, and as a result she has developed a real love for school. The staff members are all wonderful, too. They make many attempts throughout the year to involve parents in the learning process, even providing learning materials and manipulatives to use at home.

Posted February 20, 2007

This is our first experience with K-school here in Alabama and so far the experience has not been bad. There are a few things such as more communication with parent and teacher, I like to know exactly what my daughter is doing and how she is doing and you don't get that very often. The discipline in the classroom is good but sometimes I think that some things a child is going to do and moving the persons apple for everything is not always good. And I also think that the school needs work the interior, the outside is not bad but I think the school needs work. The principal is good but it seems alot of parents know some of the teachers and faculty and seem to speak more if you know them. Teachers need to take more time with children,parents on field trips, and watch them more.

Posted February 13, 2007

Prattville kindergarten is a great school,Mrs knight is a nice person.it was a problem with my son teacher,Mrs. knight solve the problem.she was a good teacher.i just didt like how she talk to the kids,now my son is in MRS.LOWES class,she is great.

Posted December 3, 2006

Our first child is currently attending PKS. It has been the most wonderful experience. Connie Clark is so enthusiastic and seems to brings out the best in all of her students. Yes, the building is old. However, isn't it amazing what people can do to an older building? One can't help but feel the love for children and the importance of education when entering the building. Thank you PKS!

Posted September 18, 2006

Academic program, extra curricular activitees, and parental involvement are superior. My son's teacher is excellent. Mrs. Renee' Archie understands each child and their needs and works with the parents. I highly recommend PKS even for those who feel that their child may be either skill or social behind. I just wish PKS would allow prospective parents to take a tour. Then parents woudl see how nurturing, safe, and educational an enviornment it is for children. I do however wish that there was more focus on teaching them how to learn since by this stage they all know their alphabet, numbers, and sounds.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 40%N/A56%

• Mrs Sue Dorsey Riddle
Fax number
  • (334) 361-3891

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now