PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Effective school leaders: Disagree

Much of what goes on is decided by the Board of Directors, whose members are elected every 3 years. The way they vote is private, therefore, they are not accountable for their decisions and you can't vote for someone with your set of moral values.

Develops character: Disagree

I felt that an honor code was needed. There was no emphasis on doing one's own work.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Most in the high school did not use textbooks and just have bachelor's degrees and no formal training.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

My children rarely had homework. When they did, lots of children had their parents do it or collaborated with each other. There was a lot of cheating going on.

I feel robbed. I had 2 children graduate from Autauga Academy at the top of their classes with scholarships to a 4 year university. They even had great ACT scores compared to their peers. However, they are woefully unprepared for college. I regret wasting my money. Don't make the same mistake I did. Just because your kids are smart doesn't mean they can overcome a substandard education. It's one thing to get it in a public school. It's quite another to pay money for it.

It was nice that the size of the school was smaller. I thought that meant more one-on-one interaction with the students. However, I would not waste my money if I could do it over again. The politics are no different from any other school, but there are other schools more well-equipped for teaching children. The school itself is older, there are broken desks in a lot of classrooms and while other schools in the area are spending money of education and technology, AA spends theirs on sports. My child came home from a large, four-year institution and complained that AA had inadequately prepared him for the university and that he felt behind compared to other students. My advice, find a school that puts academics first. I don't know how many times my kid was off from school or how many times the class would be out on the football field instead of in the classroom. If you want to pay a school so your child can learn how to paint a field or move bleachers or become janitors then by all means, AA is the perfect it.

Autauga Academy rocks! That's about all you can say to cover it all. Our children attended another private school in the area and there is a world of difference between that school and Autauga Academy. You can feel the pride and school spirit as soon as you drive onto the campus. Even as we entered the school the first time for orientation, we were made to feel like we were a part of the AA Generals family and that feeling has never left. The faculty and staff take a personal interest in each one of the students and invest themselves in their future. It's hard to find that these days. If you invest in your child's future and enroll them at Autauga Academy, you will definitely receive a well-rounded student upon your child's graduation. Academically, athletically, and socially-Autauga Academy cannot be outdone. I can only say that I wish we had enrolled our children in Autauga Academy earlier than we did. There are generations of students that have passed through the doorways there and I hope that our children will begin a new tradition of our family and send their kids to Autauga Academy as well.

The headmaster at Autauga Academy is the sweetest and most caring leader a school could have. He knows every child in the school, and is genuinely concerned about each one. The campus is beautiful, and the teachers and staff are very friendly. My 3 children only attended for a few months--having homeschooled their entire lives, I was initially concerned about how well they would "fit in." They absolutely loved it. We returned to homeschooling because it honestly just fit our family's extracurricular schedule better (they did not participate in the many sports/athletics opportunities available to them at AA), but my children have fond memories of their brief time at Autauga Academy. The school is not in a convenient location, which was a problem for my family, but they had students attending who had much longer drives than our family did. I love this little school!

My children have been at the Academy for four years and we are very pleased. Both of our boys attend the elementary school. The teachers are well qualified and the curriculum is second to none. I strongly disagree with the reviewer who stated that the main focus is atheletics. I have found there to be a healthy emphasis on academics and the school boasts a college preparatory curriculum. That being said, having two boys, we are thankful that the school does offer a lot of atheletics to participate in as well. So far they have played basketball and baseball and soon will play football too. We love having our kids in a safe, Christian environment. We would not consider sending our boys anywhere else.

Having attended this school in the early 1970s to early1980s, I will have to say that the education I received and friends I had and still have today helped me to grow in character and integrity. I have thanked my parents many times for their sacrifices so that I could attend Autauga Academy. The principal, teachers, and Board of Directors give there heart and soul to the school so it can be the best it can be. Parents are encouraged to be active in the school so they may give their assets (whatever that may be) and opinions (good or critical) to make the Academy the best place for their child's education. The academics are strongly coming back in focus as the main reason a child attends...after all, it is a college preparatory school! As long as the good Lord deems me able, I will send my children to the Academy!

Last modified Autauga Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-12