Seale, AL
Students enrolled: 1,042

Posted December 03, 2014
I'm seeing a pattern here and i will have to add to it. Another A student with many zero's for classwork and tests that have brought grades down to failing. Same stories I read here. The teachers have students open a book and read while the teachers sit at their desks. My daughter has one teacher that actually teaches in her class and guess what? She has a B and loves the class. Went to the guidance counselors today. We were told nope they dont teach like that. Your kid just isnt trying, thats all. Look at all the zeros. That explains the grades. Now, I know she isnt the absolute smartest kid around. None of our kids are, no matter what we want to believe. When the grades slip that drastically from a normally A to B student, you know something is up. Nobody gets zeros consistently on tests unless you arent there. We already home school our 15 year old that has a learning disability because the school was not providing the resources she was supposed to get from them. Of course, that wasnt their fault either. So I have 2 students who loved school that now wish they were anywhere else but russell county, or wish that the teachers would actually TEACH the subject.

Posted November 16, 2014
Don't have pep rallies, don't have money to do any extra curriculum activities, don't have enough people who care. The new principle is a follower - not a leader. This school is far far far back in the forest, so we need a "leader" who will go out of his/her way to make students, parents, and teachers, love this school. Most people want to but there is nothing to want, there's nothing here to need, there's nothing motivating us. The middle school, is definitely no better. Sure, the people here are nice country folks. That's what made me give this school and the middle school a try. They both hv failed. No one wants to volunteer, no one wants to go out of their way. People here are stuck, and content with doing what they have always been doing. Which is NOTHING. I am a parent, and I have 2 children (1 in middle, 1 in high), and they both make straight A's. Not on the account of these schools (because of me). They come from schools that give out homework, and expect assignments turned in. This schools does not. This is why this school fails. I have determined, that my children will not succumb to these low standards in education and will be going to new schools next school year.

Posted August 13, 2014
This school is all kinds of messed up! We got a new principal about a year ago and he has made things worse! Whenever I ask to speak to the counselor they always give me some excuse. 90% of the teachers don't care about helping you like they should. If I could move to another school, I definitely would but I can't because Russell County is the only school in my district. We need new principal.. one that actually cares! Hate this school.

Russell Co High School 5

Posted August 04, 2013
My last year at Russell County High school was the best year of my high school career. The staff is extraordinary. I am a proud Warrior Graduate. GO WARRIORS!

Posted March 07, 2013
The entire school district is a joke! They do not care about educating our children. They have no interest in our childrens futures, nor do they care about them as individuals. They are quick to punish, yet won't protect a child being bullied. As a military family, our children have been in 5 different school districts in 4 different states and this is by FAR the WORST I have ever witnessed.

Russell Co High School 2

Posted December 16, 2012
Russell County High School isn't a terrible school, but it is FAR from being a great school. I have been a student there for four years, and in my experience, some of the teachers don't deserve the job, and the school needs people who actually understand how to run it. Some teachers give out little to no work, and do not teach at all. My advice: send your children to another school where they can actually get an education to prepare them for college and life.

Russell Co High School 5

Posted December 11, 2012
To the parent whose children were in NY. I have to say I agree with the other parents who have given feedback on your situation. My family and and a few other parents in my neighborhood came from NY/NJ area as well so we can understand the comparison. Guess I'm a bit different. When I've called ANYONE whether it's school or not in reference to my children and I don't get a return call within a certain amount of time, I make a face to face appearance. As far as money for different events at the school, along with the request for fees due, a letter has been sent home with my child for each sport for payment as well as a request for parents to help with fundraising so the fees can either be obsolete or lowered by more than 2/3s. Example, the track and soccer teams have been raising funds by working concession stands at college games, the bball sold t shirts and drink cups, the baseball team has done the same as well. My child so far this school year is participating in 2 sports (right now) and the only thing it has costs us is gas and time. By the way I have 4 children, 2 in high school and 2 in middle school. Have you been to the parent meetings posted on the website?

Russell Co High School 3

Posted October 24, 2012
RCHS is not a terrible school it may be some thing they need to tighten up on and that is helping our kids to excel on the AHSGE a lot of this stuff on the AHSGE is not taught in our school in a timely manner and it make it hard on the kids and stressful on the parent. RCHS need more tutoring offered for our kids to help them out where they are weak, Please books need to be sent home for our kids.

Posted September 20, 2012
Let me address each of these issues. My kids participated in lacross, bowling , and band at schools in new york...all had free transportation to and from games and practice. All sports were free. Uniforms were provided free. RCHS wanted $500 a season for softball, and I was to provide transportation. With 3 students, its not affordable. Maybe your kids were born with a silver spoon in their mouth, mine weren't. My kids are healthy weights, not shy, and are adjusting VERY well in their 14th school, (our ONE deliberate move, to get OUT of RCHS). We did all we could to stay at our last station, but the ARMY thought it best for taxpayers to pay 20,000 to move our family so my husband can do the same job here he could have done there. Write your congressman. As for trying to resolve the issues,yes, I called assistant principles,guidence counselors,The principal, and even Mike Green superintendent. My conclusion is that they have all been educated at RCHS. This wasn't personal. I didnt bash you or your family. I gave an observation as a person with alot of experience in this area. Compared with the rest of the country...RCHS is pathetic. Look beyond your backyard and see for yourself.

Russell Co High School 4

Posted September 19, 2012
Military wife commenting below. I think you have hit the nail on the head. I have found that most parents and children who do not like their schools do not actively participate in anything at the school nor do they try to do anything to make change. They go with the flow and complain, complain, complain. Solutions, I feel for parents who do not particularly care for a certain school is to transfer the child(ren) to another school of their preference or to home school. In 20 years of Army service my children have changed schools 4 times. As you stated, several times, we too have called My husband's Branch requesting extensions and each time our requests were granted. 13 schools is a bit much but not unheard of even for officers. Since there are only 12 years of schooling, why 13 schools I wonder? I hope the other family didn't move every time her husband had to go to a special school for his career which sometimes only last 1 month or so. You never know. Well, this is our last assignment and I love RCHS. I am actively involved, the teachers and I exchange emails, we attend games, and volunteer whenever we can. We haven't joined the PTA yet but do intend on doing so.

Russell Co High School
4699 Old Seale Hwy, Seale, AL  36875
Last modified Russell Co High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Russell Co High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 64 reviews. Top