Semmes, AL
Students enrolled: 1,693

Posted April 27, 2014
Semmes middle school is a nice school and our student has done very well. As a member of various organizations, NJHS is not very active and that has been disappointing for our student. Education wise, most of the classes have had supportive and knowledgeable teachers. PE program is poor, compared to the previous middle schools our child attended before moving here. The PE coaches concentrate on those in class that are in sports and forget everyone else. Our previous middle schools programs were very active and the students were taught numerous sports and given opportunities plus all the rules, regulations, field size, scoring, etc. Our child learned so much and this PE program has been extremely disappointing. The AP classes in the other middle schools were more challenging and did not allow for "students to act up or not bring their homework in on time." Additionally, students should not be an officer in more than one organization at a time so as to give others a chance and the opportunity to build their leadership skills. This was the rule in the other schools we were involved with.

Posted September 29, 2013
My husband and I have been very pleased with Semmes Middle school. My daughter is in the 8th grade@ the Academy at Semmes and loves her teachers. I feel like the teachers at Semmes Middle School did a great job preparing my son for high school. He is in advanced honors classes and will graduate this year. We have no complaints.

Posted September 24, 2013
I have a son in the 6th grade this year and he absolutely loves Semmes Middle. During his first week the office called and asked if I would like him to be moved to advanced classes. We agreed and had him moved and have no regrets. He continues to thrive and is enjoying his middle school experience.

Semmes Middle School 4

Posted July 08, 2011
I had two daughters at this school last year and will have one there this year. It was a great school for my daughters. My oldest was in honors classes. She loved this school. Infact, she didn't want to leave. She had a great relationship with her teachers. My othere daughter who will be in 7th grade this year has also excelled in this school. The teachers give her structure as well as dicipline in love when needed. I would recommend this school.

Posted May 05, 2010
best school ever,i learn a lot.you will love it if you ever go there.

Semmes Middle School 0

Posted August 20, 2009
As a parent I can say the years my child spent at this chaotic school was probably the biggest mistake I ever made in my child's educational development. The staff and administration have no control, do not take any preventive measures to prevent problems, only addressing issues after the problem has taken place. The staff dwells entirely too much on uniform policies and petty rules and has no idea how to control or curtail the numerous drug, alcohol and sexual activities within the walls of their school. The environment is purely punitive and negative from my perspective as a parent. This school is entirely too large and poorly managed and has been since the day the doors opened to the new facilities. MANY tenured teachers abuse their position as a tenured teacher and the administration has little to no control over what they do, or treatment of students.

Posted September 08, 2008
I'm a parent of three children that attend Semmes Middle School. My oldest child attended Semmes Middle also. We have had incredible experiences while being apart of this school. I have found the administration and teachers to be outstanding and always helpful. If your student uses the recommended weekly planner you can view daily assignments as well as know when test are scheduled. It's a great communication tool. Another thing that makes this school stand out is that they encourage parent participation. Teachers + students + parents = success...it always works. Emma Mitchell

Posted February 25, 2008

Semmes Middle School 0

Posted February 02, 2008
hi ia a student at semmes middle and I think that the school is ok but needs to be more respectful about others religous belifes and they should be more about teaching other than uniforms because if they were as concerned about our education as much as they are uniforms we would all be genuses.

Posted April 30, 2005
I am concerned about the quality of education for my child at Semmes. She is in the 7th grade and failing Math. After numerous letters and phone calls to the Asst. Principal, I still have not recieved any help from the Teacher. No progress reports are sent home. The Counselor sent me a report. I believe the Teachers need to be more involved with the students that require more help than the student who catch on easier. I have gotten a tutor for my child and the Teacher still refuses to send home work to help the tutor.

Semmes Middle School
4566 Ed George Rd, Semmes, AL  36575
Last modified Semmes Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Semmes Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top