Bad
Good

This school does not care for the safety of their kids. The faculty is lazy and has no concern for the kids that attend this school. I will never understand why ppl are so scared to confront the wrong. This school needs real leaders instead of weak. I would never put my child in a school that doesn't care about thier education and well being. This is part of why our kids are like they are because they have no one that loves them and cheering them on. Kids need to be cared for praised and loved to succeed and consequences for those who cause caos. This school is known for bullying and suffer no consequences. I personally think it should be shut down or have someone in office that has a backbone to get business done. I do NOT recommend this school district if you want an educated child!

SMS is a good school if you are in honors classes as my oldest has excelled greatly. If you are in regular classes like my youngest, be prepared for constant bullying and kids that act like animals on a daily basis. My son and several other students in his class are harassed daily. The teachers and administration do nothing about it. Instead of punishing the troublemakers they punish the entire class. This is why we will be homeschooling our youngest this coming fall.

Semmes middle school is a nice school and our student has done very well. As a member of various organizations, NJHS is not very active and that has been disappointing for our student. Education wise, most of the classes have had supportive and knowledgeable teachers. PE program is poor, compared to the previous middle schools our child attended before moving here. The PE coaches concentrate on those in class that are in sports and forget everyone else. Our previous middle schools programs were very active and the students were taught numerous sports and given opportunities plus all the rules, regulations, field size, scoring, etc. Our child learned so much and this PE program has been extremely disappointing. The AP classes in the other middle schools were more challenging and did not allow for "students to act up or not bring their homework in on time." Additionally, students should not be an officer in more than one organization at a time so as to give others a chance and the opportunity to build their leadership skills. This was the rule in the other schools we were involved with.

My husband and I have been very pleased with Semmes Middle school. My daughter is in the 8th grade@ the Academy at Semmes and loves her teachers. I feel like the teachers at Semmes Middle School did a great job preparing my son for high school. He is in advanced honors classes and will graduate this year. We have no complaints.

I have a son in the 6th grade this year and he absolutely loves Semmes Middle. During his first week the office called and asked if I would like him to be moved to advanced classes. We agreed and had him moved and have no regrets. He continues to thrive and is enjoying his middle school experience.

I havent started this school yet I start in about 19 or less days so many people I know go there and love I will.be in academy and pace and both teachers semm very nice and fin.

I had two daughters at this school last year and will have one there this year. It was a great school for my daughters. My oldest was in honors classes. She loved this school. Infact, she didn't want to leave. She had a great relationship with her teachers. My othere daughter who will be in 7th grade this year has also excelled in this school. The teachers give her structure as well as dicipline in love when needed. I would recommend this school.

best school ever,i learn a lot.you will love it if you ever go there.

As a parent I can say the years my child spent at this chaotic school was probably the biggest mistake I ever made in my child's educational development. The staff and administration have no control, do not take any preventive measures to prevent problems, only addressing issues after the problem has taken place. The staff dwells entirely too much on uniform policies and petty rules and has no idea how to control or curtail the numerous drug, alcohol and sexual activities within the walls of their school. The environment is purely punitive and negative from my perspective as a parent. This school is entirely too large and poorly managed and has been since the day the doors opened to the new facilities. MANY tenured teachers abuse their position as a tenured teacher and the administration has little to no control over what they do, or treatment of students.

I'm a parent of three children that attend Semmes Middle School. My oldest child attended Semmes Middle also. We have had incredible experiences while being apart of this school. I have found the administration and teachers to be outstanding and always helpful. If your student uses the recommended weekly planner you can view daily assignments as well as know when test are scheduled. It's a great communication tool. Another thing that makes this school stand out is that they encourage parent participation. Teachers + students + parents = success...it always works. Emma Mitchell

Last modified Semmes Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.