Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted April 08, 2016
For the most part my children have had good teachers. I wish I could say more for the administration. I tell my kids, good or bad, there is always a lesson to learn. This has been a rough few years to say the least but my children will learn and grow regardless.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted April 08, 2016
What homework? In third grade my child was told to cover his hears when a parent tries to help with homework because they are teaching common core math and most parents didn't learn that style.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted April 08, 2016
My child wasn't chosen for the Honor Society. He has had all A's for most of his school career with the exception of 3 quarters being on the A/B Honor Roll. He was chosen by his coach for the only leadership award on his baseball team. He was selected as a gator kid every year he has been at this school. He has used his own allowance money to stuff shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child since he was 4 years old. He feeds the homeless in his community, sometimes his own food. A friend of his was chosen and we love her but she consistently makes C's, talks back to her teachers and her parents and cares more about what color headband she is going to wear to school than doing her best. My son has noticed this so you can imagine his shock when his letter says don't give up, do more, better luck next time. Highly frustrated and confused, but in this case it is not what you know it is who you know.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted April 08, 2016
I think some teachers do and am certain that the administration does not. I know this firsthand after meeting with them. If you question their decisions or authority they are argumentative and degrading.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted April 08, 2016
No because I see bad behavior being rewarded and good behavior going unnoticed. I hear teachers yelling at their students and making them stand with their noses in the corner. If you want to develop good character in your students you must model it first.

Allentown Elementary School 2

Posted April 08, 2016
We have been in this school for a few years. I have two students who attend and they have had wonderful teachers. The administration is a problem, however. I've never been to an event at this school where the principal has addressed the parents. It is either the assistant principal or the PTO president. The only thing the principal will do at an event is say please get your child from the risers and thank you for coming. The leader of the school should have more to say when getting a group of parents together. She talks down to parents and children and it is very disturbing to me. The school as a whole is not on the same page which causes a problem for parents and students. For example in second and third grade my child was allowed to have a water bottle at his desk but not in fourth grade because his teacher thinks it will be messy and they are not responsible. Correct me if I'm wrong but usually the older you get the more responsible you become or at least that is what you should be encouraging. This should be a school wide policy. You can either have it or you can't. It is pretty simple and could easily be handled by the principal at a faculty meeting. If you want to go on a field trip and there isn't a lot of room you have to wait and see if your name is drawn. Some grades require you to just send in your form and not your money until you've been selected. Some grades require you to send in your money and your form to be selected. Pick one way and stick to that for all grades. And please never question their methods at this school because then your kids will suffer for it. If you want to be involved in your child's academics than this school is not for you. They do not send home test and they do not want you to help with homework. Oh wait some teachers do send home tests and some do not. They are not on the same page about that either!

Allentown Elementary School 5

Posted August 29, 2014
I love this school! I've sent 3 kids through this school and have never had a proble m with office staff. The teachers are hit and miss like some have said but that's all schools. The parents at this school are great! We all seem to come together to make events like fall festival and play day a huge success. I wouldn't send my children to any other private or public school in Mobile County.

Allentown Elementary School 2

Posted April 27, 2014
The school is clean and very well kept. The teachers are hit and miss, some are awesome, some just get by, others are burnt out and it shows. The fine arts program is very poor, as everything is geared toward core subjects and leaves out those students that do great in core subjects but have an interest in the fine arts too. Enrichment for students in upper grades is lacking. The principal and front office staff being the school down, very uncaring, inattentive to parents, lack professionalism, and unfriendly. Organization options, extracurricular activities are non-existent. After being in elementary schools in other states (military family) we were very disappointed there there was no robotics/solar cars program, chess / lego and engineering club, Odyssey of the Mind, beginning strings or beginning band programs and no formalized DARE program. We were so used to this in our previous school districts. This school is way behind in getting students involved and excited about learning, competing against others, leadership, and fine arts. Lots of parent opportunities in day, but lack of support for parents to work with teachers for after school support.

Allentown Elementary School 1

Posted December 14, 2013
The principle of this school is verrrry unprofessional and does not care about concerns of parents. I wouldn't even give it one star.

Allentown Elementary School 5

Posted January 12, 2013
This is our 1st year at Allentown. My boys are in grades 3 & 5. We absolutely love this school! My 3rd grade son is ADHD, ODD & OCD and we couldn't have asked for a better teacher for him. The school is well run and immaculately clean. The other class parents I have spoken with also have nothing but wonderful things to say about Allentown.

10330 Howells Ferry Rd, Semmes, AL  36575
Last modified Allentown Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.