Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Amount of homework: Disagree

What homework? In third grade my child was told to cover his hears when a parent tries to help with homework because they are teaching common core math and most parents didn't learn that style.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

No because I see bad behavior being rewarded and good behavior going unnoticed. I hear teachers yelling at their students and making them stand with their noses in the corner. If you want to develop good character in your students you must model it first.

We have been in this school for a few years. I have two students who attend and they have had wonderful teachers. The administration is a problem, however. I've never been to an event at this school where the principal has addressed the parents. It is either the assistant principal or the PTO president. The only thing the principal will do at an event is say please get your child from the risers and thank you for coming. The leader of the school should have more to say when getting a group of parents together. She talks down to parents and children and it is very disturbing to me. The school as a whole is not on the same page which causes a problem for parents and students. For example in second and third grade my child was allowed to have a water bottle at his desk but not in fourth grade because his teacher thinks it will be messy and they are not responsible. Correct me if I'm wrong but usually the older you get the more responsible you become or at least that is what you should be encouraging. This should be a school wide policy. You can either have it or you can't. It is pretty simple and could easily be handled by the principal at a faculty meeting. If you want to go on a field trip and there isn't a lot of room you have to wait and see if your name is drawn. Some grades require you to just send in your form and not your money until you've been selected. Some grades require you to send in your money and your form to be selected. Pick one way and stick to that for all grades. And please never question their methods at this school because then your kids will suffer for it. If you want to be involved in your child's academics than this school is not for you. They do not send home test and they do not want you to help with homework. Oh wait some teachers do send home tests and some do not. They are not on the same page about that either!

I love this school! I've sent 3 kids through this school and have never had a proble m with office staff. The teachers are hit and miss like some have said but that's all schools. The parents at this school are great! We all seem to come together to make events like fall festival and play day a huge success. I wouldn't send my children to any other private or public school in Mobile County.

The school is clean and very well kept. The teachers are hit and miss, some are awesome, some just get by, others are burnt out and it shows. The fine arts program is very poor, as everything is geared toward core subjects and leaves out those students that do great in core subjects but have an interest in the fine arts too. Enrichment for students in upper grades is lacking. The principal and front office staff being the school down, very uncaring, inattentive to parents, lack professionalism, and unfriendly. Organization options, extracurricular activities are non-existent. After being in elementary schools in other states (military family) we were very disappointed there there was no robotics/solar cars program, chess / lego and engineering club, Odyssey of the Mind, beginning strings or beginning band programs and no formalized DARE program. We were so used to this in our previous school districts. This school is way behind in getting students involved and excited about learning, competing against others, leadership, and fine arts. Lots of parent opportunities in day, but lack of support for parents to work with teachers for after school support.

The principle of this school is verrrry unprofessional and does not care about concerns of parents. I wouldn't even give it one star.

This is our 1st year at Allentown. My boys are in grades 3 & 5. We absolutely love this school! My 3rd grade son is ADHD, ODD & OCD and we couldn't have asked for a better teacher for him. The school is well run and immaculately clean. The other class parents I have spoken with also have nothing but wonderful things to say about Allentown.

we are new this year to Allentown; it has been a very good experience so far... the teachers have contacted me about my child's educational concerns, etc.. great communication between parent & teacher. I feel that our 5th grade teacher(s) are gving 110% of their teaching abilities.

My children attended here. I wouldn't say this is the worst school, it has many positives. The school is pretty clean & caring parents who contribute. some excellent teachers. However, there are some vital factors this school lacks. The office staff, administration Principal and Vice are what brings this school down. This school clearly has many areas that need to be fixed. It is run with routine rather then with a high quality standards. Look at the current website. School just started and there is no information for parents. The calendar and news info is empty. In my experience the admin/office staff are not ethical,qualified and unprofessional. If the administrators do not lead the way for the overall communication and success of the school, how are the teachers to follow? Top schools/districts are on the ball with their websites. Parents at one click know everything about their child and about all school activities, not left in the dark. Not my kind of school. I am a hands on mom. I want the school my children go to geared just for my child's educational needs. We have some excellent schools in this nation that do just that. I was lucky to find one. : )

Allentown is the excelent school that it is because of the caring parents and teachers alike. If ANY parent has had a problem with a teacher, I know the principal wants to know to rectify the problem. If a teacher spoke harshly to a student, I must ask what was the student doing? I have known some of these teachers for 20 years and they are among the most caring and concerned and capable in the business. The second generation of my family is in the Semmes school district and I will stay here until I die to keep this type of teacher teaching my grandchildren.

Last modified Allentown Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.