Smiths Station, AL

Posted April 20, 2011
This school is dangerous for our children and sets them up for drastic failure in future schools. There is so little internal communication; on more than one occasion my son was LOST for over an hour while going to a specialty class (he was hanging out in the library). If you child visits multiple teachers, they don t speak to each other. It s this lack of internal communication that allowed my son to be lost and no one even be alerted. In all fairness, I have run into a couple teachers that seem to really get it but they aren t the primary teacher and again, lack of communication puts my child risk. Educationally, there is little to no structure in the curriculum and even worse communication with parents. I never know what he s working on, never see homework, and can t get answers from the primary teacher. My child's report card states he is doing great, yet his test scores and independent assessments show him way below grade level. I m not one to write poor reviews, in fact I ve written great reviews about a previous school but I feel compelled to share. I wish I had known what we were facing before moving to this area.

Smiths Station Intermediate School 4

Posted January 08, 2011
To the person that posted right before me.... the kids read books all the time. Not only do they read books but they have to get a certain amount of AR points every grading period. I"m not really sure where you got your information but that part is very wrong. I have one child at this school and another that has already gone through this school. The teachers are all great. My son's teacher now...(5th grade) is WONDERFUL!!! I've been very pleased with the school in general. All schools have problems and this school is no different but nothing major... that I've seen. If you compare this school to other in the area it really is better.

Posted November 15, 2010
This school IS a MAJOR disappointment. My child and several others that I have been in contact with have talked about their counselor, teachers, substitutes, and coaches using foul language towards them. The fact that the counselor is the principals teacher helps her out. Also, recently found out that instead of reading books they are handed a tape or cd and told to listen to the book. WHAT KIND OF CURRICULUM IS THIS!! So now we are going to let children that can not read slip through the cracks. Is this what the "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND ACT" is all about? We won't leave them behind so we will find a way not to teach them. This place is a disgrace to education and the furture of our children.

Smiths Station Intermediate School

Posted February 19, 2009
We are also a military family and my daughter has been at this school for 4-6th grade. She has done very well the three years she has attended this school. They teachers we have had knew how to motivate her in a positive way so that she learned to take pride in what she does and do it well. I do think the homework load is a bit heavy but, she is well prepared for middle school. I also would like to see an art program here. Like to other military family that wrote I do think this school is on par with DOD schools. Overall the teachers and staff at this school in my opinion, put students and families first and care about each individual. Concerns that I had were addressed and I felt as if my opinion did matter by teachers and staff.

Smiths Station Intermediate School 5

Posted January 27, 2008
the teachers, staff and the kids are great. i had no worries while my children went there...they had a great education and the teachers were caring and loving.

Posted July 22, 2007
I have one child at this school and couldn't agree more with the parent that stated ' I don't think these children are learning the basics to get them on to the next level of education.' My child has special needs and I have fought with the school for two years to get my child tested for an IEP or a 504. We finally resorted to moving her to another school district to get the assistance my child so badly needed. The teachers in the school in fact just let them get by instead of teaching them as I tried for over a year to get tutoring, testing and then finally for them to hold her back and was told she would have to fail to do this grades of D were not good enough to hold her back. Special needs parents should think before choosing this school. -Very Disappointed-

Smiths Station Intermediate School 5

Posted January 26, 2006
My child has had a wonderful experience at Smiths Intermediate. The level of education has been great as well as the teachers. They all seem to have the upmost concern for their students and their education. We have been here for 2 years and look forward to one more. My child's test scores have contintued to improve. I believe this is the result of the attention he is given by the educators. I also want to congratulate the new principal for the things he has been able to accomplish in a short period of time. I have nothing negative to report concerning this school. I just want to give credit where it is due. I know eduactors do not receive enough praise. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Smiths Station Intermediate School 2

Posted December 01, 2005
I have one child at this school now. I don't think these children are learning the basics to get them on to the next level of education. The teachers in the school tend to just let them get by instead of teaching them. I have spent many hours at home with my child trying to actully explain things that a teahcer should be doing. I really believe we have opened the doors to let anyone teach instead of taking the best of the best. Teachers are fundemental to our children's future. I wish they could see this.

Smiths Station Intermediate School 2

Posted May 30, 2005
I have 1 child at SSIS. The 2004-2005 yr was a complete waste for her! The school lacks orgainzation & communication and it starts at the top. Thank goodness next yr we'll have a new principal. I have many, many examples but choose not to express my views at this time. I believe that next yr. will be different. If it is not, I will return to post a full account. Our experience at the elementary & primary schools was wonderful.

Smiths Station Intermediate School 3

Posted April 04, 2005
I've been quite disappointed in the intermediate school. I couldn't have been more pleased with my child's experience at the primary and the elementary schools, but have had little to be happy about at the intermediate. I believe that the pods promote cliques among the teachers which promotes cliques among the children. My child makes average grades and I'm ok with that. I'm NOT ok with the fact that her physical problems are dismissed and often used against her. I don't like how the the teachers send letters home accusing the parents of being the primary problem with learning. I, too, am a teacher and I take responsibility for the kids I teach. I think it would be fair to expect the teachers at SSIS to do the same.

Smiths Station Intermediate School
80 Lee Rd 926, Smiths Station, AL  36877
Last modified Smiths Station Intermediate School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Smiths Station Intermediate School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top