Smiths Station Elementary School

Public | PK-6

Posted April 30, 2014

I was a bit nervous about switching schools for my kiddo ;however, after discovering all the progress he has made and the look of enjoyment on my sons face, my anxious mind was put to ease. My son loves to read and SSES encourages reading and ways to increase reading skills. It's a very rewarding feeling as a parent when your child comes home loving to read and we can enjoy reading together more now as well. I'm very glad for the switch and we are looking forward to the years to come.

Posted June 8, 2011

I have two sons who both went through this school. At first I didn't know much about the school and how things are run there. Academics are the main focus at the school and it shows. My children were given lots of opportunities to shine and do their best. The school is very safe and you can be sure your children are taken care of. Every time I needed something, it was taken care of with a smile and done professionaly.

Posted May 14, 2011

You do have other options, if you are as unhappy with this school as I was. Initially, transferred our child to a private school. Then, via other parents, we learned that we could use Lakewood Elementary. Wow~what a fantastic change!I have never heard one parent complain about Lakewood. The principal, Mrs. Nicey Eller~the best! The teachers~most, if not all, have Masters Degrees. They are a Science Magnet school. Did I mention at least 7 students followed us to this school~leaving SS for the same reason. I went to the local school board office (I believe it was called that), its off 13th st, PC. Ask for a transfer app. Fill the form out and in the reason section, just put "hardship". They dont want the long story. Leave the form with them. In a week or less you should recieve the approval in the mail. Spaces are limited, and they go fast....so I would put in for it asap. You will not regret. Lakewood is a rather new school, and has grown so rapidly they are building another school adjacent to this one~just for 2 grades :))

Posted May 13, 2011

Bad, Bad, Bad!!!!! There is no music, art, or even recess at this school. All the principal cares about is how the school looks on paper. You aren't allowed to go to your child's classroom and the front office staff is rude! Even though my child has all A's and great conduct, my child was made to sit outside against a wall and watch as other children had fun, got popsicles and juice and was not allowed to talk because my child did not take enough "AR tests". The other day my child was flat out refused breakfast because they don't tell you that you owe money on the lunch account until it is past due. I was not contacted when this happened so my child had to go hungry. I tried to do research before choosing a school and I wish someone had posted a review like this on here before I bought a house and moved to this area. Unfortunately this is the school my child is zoned to go to next year when it will be a K-5 through 6th grade so we will be paying for a private school from here on out. If you care about your child's education move to Georgia or pay for private school.

Posted March 4, 2010

My sons enjoyed the school and were challenged in their classes. My sons both had different teachers in 2nd and 3rd grade and loved them all. I highly recommend the school and staff.

Posted July 26, 2008

I have been very inpressed with SSES. My son looked forward to going to school each day. Mrs. Birge made learning for him fun.

Posted June 14, 2008

Students are somewhat mean to others and teachers rarly notice when the students are being picked on. Students there made it a living night mare for my daughter. Other wise, it was a great school

Posted August 31, 2007

We are a military family and my child attended SSES for 2 years and we were very sad to leave it. This is the best school my child has attended. The stamp issue...Your child receives stamps for completing homework, behaving in class, doing what they are told to do, being prepared for class, and being honest. To loose a stamp, you have to break one of those rules and before a stamp is taken away for not listening in class or misbehaving, your child is given a verbal warning! Your child should be doing all of this anyway, but then again it is all in how you raise your child. Teachers are wonderful...Mrs. Glisson and Mrs. Robinson!! Principal is wonderful and the front office staff is wonderful. You do have to show picture ID to check out child, but that is for the safety of your child!!! Great school!

Posted May 31, 2007

My child started S.S.E.S. in January of 2007. At first I was very impressed with the school. Then it seemed that they were more concerned with how many stickers my child lost then how his grades were. There were many times that my husband and I would send letters to the school and not get any response from the teacher. If I take the time out of my busy schedule to write the teacher a letter the least that she or he can do is respond. Before we moved to Smiths Station my husband and I heard a lot of good things about the school. We are hoping that when the new school year starts (2007-2008) that things will be better.

Posted April 30, 2005

I don't have to much of a problem except when you are a working family and your child comes home with a lot of homework on top of a project.This school has more projects than any school i've known,and for working parents trying to help them with their homework,help the other kids,cook dinner,get showers,etc. All before bed is not possible.My answer is: slow the projects down to a couple a month?

Posted April 14, 2005

While I like the school and the education my child is getting there, I also have points that I dislike. I also feel that there should be more emphasis on grades and working rather than on getting 'stamps'. I understand children need discipline but when a child has to put all of their energy into making sure they don't lose their stamp over every little thing, they don't have much left to put towards concentrating on their work. I also would like it if there were more activities the children could get into...as of now, there are none that I know of.

Posted March 24, 2005

My son currently attends sses. My main concern with sses and my experience with smith station so far is that more attention is given to stamps that childern earn or do not earn for behavior. My childs focuses alot and it appears that it causes him stress and the teachers also focus alot on stamps. But i have yet to see the daily focus and rewards for grades and academic performance. Also smith station fails to incorporate african american studies in there curriculm as if they have no african american students. Furthermore, the teachers need to realize that if a child is very active in their class then that child is probably bored and if they have not explored that option, they should. Compare grades and behavior. If grades are good and behavior is not the work may not be challenging.

Posted February 15, 2005

I have never had a problem with SSES until I had to deal with the coaches. One of them has to be the rudest & least compassionate person I have ever encountered. Most of the coaches have very condescending attitudes. I am shocked at how they are allowed to conduct themselves around parents who 'question' them. I have heard a coach refer to a class of children as 'heathens.' Even though I doubt they know the true meaning of the word I do not appreciate them referring to my child as such. If I had an option my son would not spend his 3rd grade year at SSES simply because of the coaching staff. The teachers my kids have had have been great They make up for some of the lacking areas. Honest Feedback welcomed.

Posted December 15, 2004

I now have another grandchild that is attending your school. My granddaughter brianna ellison loves smiths station primary. She has the greatest teacher,Mrs.Coapus. she loves all her students and she spends all the time in the world with them. Brianna loves her principle too. She is always excitied every morning to get ready for school. I had another grandchild that attended your school, Antonio Ellison . He misses all of you so much. He has now moved on to the elementery school. I rate your school 100% on everything.Thank all of you for being there for my grandchildren.I feel so safe with you all. Robin melendez

Posted December 13, 2004

My daughter has been in the Lee County School District for 3 years and we love it. I have never had a problem with anything and she has learned so much. There is a low student teacher ratio and has been since she started here in kindergarten. Every principal we have had knows the children by their names and really takes care of thier schools. The students still have PE everyday, which I think is wonderful and a necessity. The two things that I wish that would be added are art and music.

Posted August 22, 2003

I have two boys who have attended Smiths Station Elementary. My children and I love this School. The teachers are nice and all the parents always step up to the plate and pitch in when needed, Their is always something going on from field trips, special activities and programs. It's a wonderful school!

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

107 students were tested at this school in 2012.

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

107 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

117 students were tested at this school in 2012.

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

118 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 91% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

164 students were tested at this school in 2012.

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

165 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students93%

Non-migrant96%
Poverty94%
Non-poverty98%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students77%

Special education54%
General population98%
Poverty92%

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 48%N/A56%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

171 Lee Rd 728