Smiths Station, AL

West Smiths Station Elementary School 4

Posted May 19, 2013
This is now West Smiths Station Elementary School. My daughter has attended there for her Kindergarten year and overall it has been excellent. HOWEVER! Next year, during the first fundraiser I will be sure to be there. This company that they use employs bullying and intimidation tactics the like of which I have never seen. And if I have one more hysterical "fundraising" meltdown I will lodge a formal complaint with the school and district about bullying.

West Smiths Station Elementary School 3

Posted September 13, 2010
We moved to this area because my husband is military. The school is very large with 21 first grade classes and 20 Kindergarten classes, each with about 20 students. They seem more worried about the kids being quiet and following rules than being kids and having FUN learning. School at such a young age should be a fun experience so that kids develop a love of learning. My daughter's teacher has made school a very negative experience by nit picking at her over the smallest things and making her feel like a "bad" child. My daughter loved school before we moved to this school. we are pulling her out and going to a different school. Their curriculum so far seems to be fine but they do not handle the kids in a developmentally appropriate way.

Posted October 11, 2009
I've had two children go here. They loved it. The school has a higher learning level than those in surrounding areas. The teachers and staff are friendly and very helpful. It feels like a protective school. They care about your children like their own. I found it organized and they welcomed parent participation.

West Smiths Station Elementary School

Posted September 04, 2009
This school has the BEST Principal in Kathy Henderson, you could not ask for a more loving, caring Principal that goes all out for those children. Also, I have never had a Principal that personally returns all of your phone calls, usually you get a secretary, and she personally takes your calls or returns them and that is very impressive! This is the best primary school....I just hate my daughter is at the Elementary school this year. We will miss you Mrs. Henderson!

West Smiths Station Elementary School 4

Posted June 23, 2009
My daughter attended this school, and I found the teachers, as well as the principal, to be fantastic and caring. The quality of education received here was top notch.

Posted August 31, 2007
Both of my children attended SSPS and this is such a great school! My son attended both years and Mrs. Driggers and Ms. Kubik are wonderful!! All of the teachers are, but these are the ones that my son had. The school does alot of fundraisers, which is to raise money for the school! Money for other things...'Wheel Days' are great and you do have to send an item in for that which is once a month! 'Wheel Day' is an excellant time for parents to volunteer and gives the teachers a chance to meet to better your child's education! Parent involvement is great...if you just do it! Like anything else, you will get what you put in it! Great school and we miss you! Wish we were still there. We are a military family and longer in the area. If we come back...it will definately be Smiths Station schools!

Posted December 13, 2006
Hi to all at this wonderful school.I have a grand daughter that is going to this great school and she and myself love all the staff that are there with her.She has done so much learning there.The teachers are all great.I would love to say that you are the top of the list for the primary schools in alabama!!i was so pleased with all you all did for my grandson which he is now in the 4th. Grade keep the good work up and god bless all. Robin melendez

Posted October 19, 2006
My daughter is a student at Smith Station Primary School and she has a wonderful teacher as well. I do agree with a previous parent on how the schools nickel and dime the parents throughout the school year. I support the PTO with in school fundraisers (i.e., popcorn sales, Santa workshops, etc.) but to send a kindergarten or 1st grader out selling door to door in this day and age is crazy. I think that the school PTO should try thinking of other fundraisers and they should also be willing to allow all children to have a special party after the fundraiser. The child feels left out because he/she did not sell the # of products to attend the party.We are all in this together. Become a PTO member and have a say in what fundraisers our children participate in.

Posted December 07, 2004
I really like the school. The education both of my daughters have received there far exceeds the educations that my sisters kids are receiving at other area schools. The teachers and office staff have never been anything but nice. I only have one complaint and that is they require to much money! Every day I open my childs book bag and there is a note asking for money or to send some supplies for different things. Being a single parent and trying to afford to send my children to Smiths Station schools is a very difficult thing. But, since the education they are getting is so wonderful I feel it is worth the cost. Excellent school.

West Smiths Station Elementary School 2

Posted November 28, 2004
I attended Smiths Station Primary as a child and now my child attends. I am shocked by how much the quality of the school has fallen. I personally witnessed her teacher pick a boy up by her arm to yell at him (I have already written a letter to the school board over this). The secretaries are helpful and kind, yet the assitant principal showed me (and several other mothers) nothing but rudeness when we questioned her over an upcoming field trip. The area of town the school is located in has gone from being the good part of town to being the seedier area of town and I do not feel it is an appropriate place to voluntarily send your child. I have since withdrawn my daughter. If you have other options in educating your child, please by all means utilize them.

West Smiths Station Elementary School
150 Lee Rd 295, Smiths Station, AL  36877
Last modified West Smiths Station Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West Smiths Station Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top