Bad
Good

As a military family our kids are still"the new kids." Still picked on, still under the proverbial microscope, and still not supported. Although the school nags for you to fill out the military member paperwork so they can get their money there are absolutely NO programs for the military kids in any form. This is throughout the entire school system high school on down to elementary. The bullying situation is insane! I've had kids assault my kids, name call, cuss, even threaten to shoot their infant sister. Nothing is done. We even had an incident in which a teacher made fun of one of my children. We moved here because of the reviews and we thought it would be a better academic choice for the kids, w even bought a house. Now we're just biding our time and praying to come down on orders. This all not to mention the athletic program, which apparently is parent funded and alumni/booster only play. We also have yet to see any admin attend athletic events. This point brings me to another, there is no parent/teacher/admin/community relationships AT ALL. There are no parent/teacher conferences, no community involvement from the schools, no family nights, nothing. It really gives the impression the teachers and administrations are there for the paycheck and that is all. I give five starts to the jrotc program, track, and cross country coaches. We wish we had taken our chances in Columbus. There are a handful of teachers from the three schools I am affiliated with that are outstanding representations of what a teacher should be; they care, go the extra mile; and they try very hard, but honestly, they're not enough to make a dent in a small town politics run school system.

This is now West Smiths Station Elementary School. My daughter has attended there for her Kindergarten year and overall it has been excellent. HOWEVER! Next year, during the first fundraiser I will be sure to be there. This company that they use employs bullying and intimidation tactics the like of which I have never seen. And if I have one more hysterical "fundraising" meltdown I will lodge a formal complaint with the school and district about bullying.

We moved to this area because my husband is military. The school is very large with 21 first grade classes and 20 Kindergarten classes, each with about 20 students. They seem more worried about the kids being quiet and following rules than being kids and having FUN learning. School at such a young age should be a fun experience so that kids develop a love of learning. My daughter's teacher has made school a very negative experience by nit picking at her over the smallest things and making her feel like a "bad" child. My daughter loved school before we moved to this school. we are pulling her out and going to a different school. Their curriculum so far seems to be fine but they do not handle the kids in a developmentally appropriate way.

I've had two children go here. They loved it. The school has a higher learning level than those in surrounding areas. The teachers and staff are friendly and very helpful. It feels like a protective school. They care about your children like their own. I found it organized and they welcomed parent participation.

This school has the BEST Principal in Kathy Henderson, you could not ask for a more loving, caring Principal that goes all out for those children. Also, I have never had a Principal that personally returns all of your phone calls, usually you get a secretary, and she personally takes your calls or returns them and that is very impressive! This is the best primary school....I just hate my daughter is at the Elementary school this year. We will miss you Mrs. Henderson!

My daughter attended this school, and I found the teachers, as well as the principal, to be fantastic and caring. The quality of education received here was top notch.

Both of my children attended SSPS and this is such a great school! My son attended both years and Mrs. Driggers and Ms. Kubik are wonderful!! All of the teachers are, but these are the ones that my son had. The school does alot of fundraisers, which is to raise money for the school! Money for other things...'Wheel Days' are great and you do have to send an item in for that which is once a month! 'Wheel Day' is an excellant time for parents to volunteer and gives the teachers a chance to meet to better your child's education! Parent involvement is great...if you just do it! Like anything else, you will get what you put in it! Great school and we miss you! Wish we were still there. We are a military family and longer in the area. If we come back...it will definately be Smiths Station schools!

Hi to all at this wonderful school.I have a grand daughter that is going to this great school and she and myself love all the staff that are there with her.She has done so much learning there.The teachers are all great.I would love to say that you are the top of the list for the primary schools in alabama!!i was so pleased with all you all did for my grandson which he is now in the 4th. Grade keep the good work up and god bless all. Robin melendez

My daughter is a student at Smith Station Primary School and she has a wonderful teacher as well. I do agree with a previous parent on how the schools nickel and dime the parents throughout the school year. I support the PTO with in school fundraisers (i.e., popcorn sales, Santa workshops, etc.) but to send a kindergarten or 1st grader out selling door to door in this day and age is crazy. I think that the school PTO should try thinking of other fundraisers and they should also be willing to allow all children to have a special party after the fundraiser. The child feels left out because he/she did not sell the # of products to attend the party.We are all in this together. Become a PTO member and have a say in what fundraisers our children participate in.

Last modified West Smiths Station Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.