Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Posted October 26, 2015
We had four children go through the John Jones Elem., Southside Elem. and Southside HS schools and we couldn't be happier w/the results. All four have completed college (w/honors) and I give a very large amount of credit to the Southside areas schools. No school is perfect and there's always room for improvement in any school but, academics, sports and all extracurricular activities are as good at Southside as you'll find anywhere.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted October 26, 2015
Kudos to all the J.Jones Elem., Southside Elem and Southside HS staff and faculty for excellent results with their students.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted October 26, 2015
Experiences with all local schools have been very good. I can't accurately comment on the "moral" aspects of our schools but, I have no reason to believe they're anything but very good - I never was a student at any of these local schools so, I can't personally comment.

Posted August 29, 2013
We came from the "best" rated school district (and most expensive) in Georgia. Once here, I was DELIGHTED to find an old fashioned, loving community of teachers who care, and principals who don't take flack from anyone. What a blessing. The education isn't the best money can buy, but no amount of money can buy the time, effort and love invested in each of my children. My kids are flourishing, and I am grateful!!

Southside High School 4

Posted February 28, 2012
I am a parent of Advanced Placement students, and if you're looking for that, Southside High has the best program in the county. In fact, my daughter recently thanked me, literally, for sending her to SHS. Sports programs are often political, and we're going through a tough transition with a new Athletic Director and single booster club. Hopefully those things will improve. There are many opportunities for students, and the band director is fabulous and really cares about the students. We have had administration changes over the last couple of years which continues with a replacement of assistant principal and guidance counselor this summer. I am an involved parent (band, sports, clubs) and I urge parents to get involved if they truly care about their kids' education. I wish the teachers and administration did a better job of encouraging parental involvement.

Southside High School 1

Posted March 18, 2010
Im writing this for everyone to know that there are many problems with the faculty and administration at Southside High School. There are teachers there that are so DISRESPECTFUL to the students as well as the parents. They are lazy and do not care if they embarrass or humiliate a child in front of the whole school. They DO NOT care about the students they just want their paychecks. As for the principal and vice principal, I believe they do a VERY POOR job also. Its all about politics for them.They dont want to face the important issues when it comes to the students and the students well-being because it will make them 'look bad' at election time or when promotions are involved. So they just want to dismiss the issues regaurdless of how it affects the student. They do not handle important issues promply and effectively.

Posted December 28, 2008
Southside High School is a WONDERFUL school. They offer so much for any student! The faculty and staff really do care about each and every student they know. They all want to see them succeed! I am a Junior at this school and I have had a great experience. I feel extremely safe there! The Band program (The Pride of Southside) is also brilliant, I must add! =) Shout out to Mr. Nathan Haskew for a great year! Thanks for always pushing us to do our best Mr.Haskew!!

Southside High School 2

Posted June 25, 2008
I have two children who are graduates of SHS. I have to say that I have found that there are many problems with the administration & faculty. Rather than accept diversity, they try to make every student fit their ideal of what they should be. Maybe they should all take a course in tolerance. I believe all children should be educated, regardless of personal life choices.

Posted April 26, 2005
In my opinion, Southside is the best school in Etowah County to send your child to. It is great academically and also has many great athletic programs. To comment on the other parent review, there have been many scholarships received for athletes. Just from past year, there were scholarships received in every sport. There are more kids at Southside than any other school in the county that are involved in some type of program, whether it be sports, drama, music, etc. Besides sports, the teachers at Southside are very helpful to the students. The school is located in a very safe place, unlike many of the other schools in Gadsden. I would not send my kids to any other school.

Southside High School 4

Posted April 26, 2004
My reason for writing this is . I want everyone to know what they are getting themselves into when they send their child to this school.Your child can recieve a great education at this school, But as for the sports this school is so political . That it sends a very Bad lesson for children to learn early . That it is all about who you are not your performance as a player. this will never change until we get coaches in there that will not be puppets. Coaches that want to play the very best. If your looking to get a sports scholarship to go to college dont sent your child here. If it is academic then send them here.

2150 Hwy 77, Southside, AL  35907
Last modified Southside High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.