Sumiton, AL

Posted August 12, 2014
My children attended this school for several years. They were relatively happy at SCS, but we felt like we were doing all of the teaching at home. After much soul searching, we decided to move them. We were shocked at the pool quality education they were receiving at SCS. One example; the semester test in Geometry consisting of making a snowman out of felt geometric figures. Another example; at the end of my neice's 4th grade year, the teacher apologized because she didn't "get around to teaching history that year". I didn't know that was an option. The instruction received in the area public schools are hands down better. The majority of teachers at SCS are not qualified to teach. Do not waste your money. If you go to church, and raise your children in a Christian environment, they will excel in the public school system (which, contrary to what is implied at SCS, is not the devil). The Bible says to be a light on a hill, not a light hidden in a closet where you are sheltered from real life and from real people who need to see your Christian example on a daily basis. We chose to go out into the world, and my children are better for it.

Posted May 31, 2014
My children attended school at sumiton Christian for 1 yr, they will not be going back! Drop the word "Christian" from the school name! The principal is a bully and basically called me a liar because I complained that a "teacher" never emailed me back! The school has teachers/coaches that are not employees of the school (donate their time) that cuss and exhibits NON christian examples to the children and the principal and the board allows it! This "man" put my child down to his face so bad that my child cried! The administration at this school is horrible and teachers are quitting every month, a heavy turn over. Girls are allowed to have belly rings and there are male students with tattoos. Only difference between this school and a public school is tuition. I am certain they will close the doors soon. Do your research people and you will see, putting your kids in sumiton Christian school will be the worst mistake of your life!

Sumiton Christian School 2

Posted May 08, 2013
My children used to attend Sumiton Christian School, however, we started looking around, and realized we were paying a large chunk of money each month to have to basically home school our kids. We have moved our children, and are amazed at the poor education they were actually receiving. The Junior High and High School teachers are extremely unqualified, basically because the school cannot afford to pay more qualified individuals. If you truly want your children to learn in school, versus teaching them at home, do not go to this school. Leaving Sumiton Christian School was the best thing we could have done for our children.

Sumiton Christian School 5

Posted April 24, 2013
Sumiton Christian was the best place ever. I am a recent graduate of SCS, and I can honestly say that they have prepared me well. I was worried when I got to college if I was going to be able to keep up. Not only did I keep up, I have stayed up. I have made either the President's or Dean's List every semester. I am studying secondary education, and one requirement is that we are supposed to observe in many different types of schools and school settings. I have been to schools like Spain Park and Mountain Brook this year, and I can honestly say that I think that SCS is better. I loved all the teachers while I was there. And can I just say thank you to all the English teachers at SCS. Thanks to you I always write killer papers for all my classes. I have not received anything below an A yet. The teachers really care about the students and want them to succeed. With the smaller numbers in this school, the teacher to student ratio is closer than it would be in other schools. The teachers know your name and take an active interest in making sure that students are doing well in their class. They go above and beyond the requirements of simply being teachers.

Posted November 13, 2012
I was excited to move to Sumiton and attend SCS. However, once I actually began, I realized that it was NOT the fun-loving, caring environment I had seen during my introductory tour. Instead of an individual with a unique personality, I became just another one of their Hell-bound pre-teens. The word of God was absolutely SHOVED down my throat, and I became so confused about religion that, to this day, I sneer whenever I have to drive passed Sumiton Church of God. I was brought up in a Christian home with Christian morals. However, at Sumiton Christian, if you do not practice your religion in the extreme manor they practice, or if you have ANY questions AT ALL regarding religion, you ARE going STRAIGHT TO HELL! My 12 year old self was so confused!!! Why was I being yelled at about not loving my God the "RIGHT" way when all I wanted to do was go to school to learn in the first place?! On top of this, my family was asked (on more than one occasion) to donate money. Because of these donations and because of my family name, I was allowed to be on athletic teams without ever trying out and my tardies were often overlooked. Spare your children the confusion-send them somewhere else!

Sumiton Christian School 4

Posted July 26, 2011
This school has an outstanding academic system. I attend this school. I am dyslexic and do do not play sports. Despite popular belief I am accepted and looked at with worth by the teachers. Although some of the students are not the nicest in the world, one of the skills we are taught is to love our personality. I am very pleased with this school.

Posted April 05, 2011
As a student at six year student at Sumiton Christian, I have first-hand experiences that provide enough evidence to say this school is definitely not what it's cracked up to be. First of all, if you aren't an athletic specimen, then I suggest you start looking into other schools. Secondly, if your grades aren't considered "up to par" and you may be required to seek help, go ahead and forget it because you will be looked down upon and help MAY be given but in a very resentful way. The current principal has made several rude remarks regarding families that are either less fortunate or that do not match up with her ridiculous standards. She not only shows favoritism towards students, but towards the faculty as well. If the classrooms are not run in a way that is exactly pleasing towards her, she degrades the teachers, sometimes even in front of the students. I can assure you that if you're sending large checks to this school each month, your student will find it to be a breeze. However, if you can not afford to waste extra money in order to pay off the school's debt, as most people cannot, your child will not receive the love that a "Christian" school may promise to give. Just no.

Posted March 31, 2011
I have two children that attend this school, my oldest is about to graduate and my 13 year old will not be attending next year. Mrs. Capps the principal plays favorites to the children that have parents who donate large sums of money. The children who have less than perfect grades get picked on by the principal and basicly get ask to leave the school. The junior high teachers treat the kids like they are beneath them by putting them down. What happened to being true christians and uplifting someone? They need to drop the Christian from Sumiton Christian because the ppl running the school are far from Christians....all they care about is money.

Posted March 31, 2011
This school I not something I would recommend to anyone!!! It is not a good school at all. The teachers don't help you when you need it, the kids bully you if you don't have money or I you're not popular enough, the principle plays favorites, they don't have Christian attitudes, the bring you down, and it's just not a place I would want my kid to go to. A big problem I have been faceing lately is bullying. There are girls that if they don't like you they will try to turn everyone against you. I thunk if you really want your kid you go to this school, look into it and really check reviews. I'm not satisfied with this school at all!

Sumiton Christian School 5

Posted September 09, 2010
Like any school, the quality of education depends primarily on the children and parents. That being said, environment and dedication to students is superb at SCS. Students are encouraged to try news things and opportunities for leadership are many. Also, being a smaller school, there is less of a clique society. You often see cheerleaders playing sports, football players and baseball players in choir and drama. My two sons graduated from SCS. Both were awarded academic scholarships to multiple universities and colleges. Both have been on deans lists at college. My Oldest also earned a baseball scholarship to an SEC school, earned All- American Honors, played in the College World Series, was drafted twice in the major league draft and now is in his first year of Professional Baseball with the Reds. Not bad for a kid that the local public school said was not good enough to play for them.

Sumiton Christian School
155 Hosanna Dr, Sumiton, AL  35148
Last modified Sumiton Christian School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Sumiton Christian School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 59 reviews. Top