Thorsby High School

Public | K-12

Posted July 9, 2009

My daughter attends Thorsby and I absolutely thrilled with it. Thorsby has really prepared her for her college career. She has a 4.0 and has been very well rounded from her experience here. I would reccomend all students in the Thorsby area to attend, it is a great school.

Posted October 24, 2008

I am graduate of Thorsby High School and I am very disappointed in what this school has turned into. The education for the students is not the important issue anymore. The importance of being in the proper social circle is more inportant to the Thorsby High School staff. My kids are students at Thorsby and I am very concerned they aren't getting the education they will need in the real world. We, the tax payers, pay the staff at Thorsby and every other school to prepare our children for 'life' and this is not happening at Thorsby. Everyone there is more concerned about who said what about who instead of teaching our children. This doesn't apply to all the teachers at Thorsby. There are a select few that are actually doing their jobs. My suggestion to these people is to sweep around their own back doors. There is dirt there.

Posted October 15, 2008

This school is struggling. There is too much politics in every aspect, even the sports. There is a small group of people that tend to rule most of the decisions. If your parents are not in that social circle their opinion is without voice. People not in that inner circle have no luck with any problem and are never taken seriously. There is a major need for zero tolerance where bullying is concerned. Stopped at a young age, the chances of it progressing are alot less. Tenure should not be a lincense to treat children any way you like as a Teacher. Teachers should be disciplined when not doing their job whether tenured or not. Principal should enforce this! Parents would be more involved if they were allowed to be.

Posted September 11, 2008

I have to agree with the most recent review. I was told by my son yesterday that the teachers were told they could not teach anything but whats on the graduation exam. That is their only concern so that numbers are up. How sad is that? Truly i wonder if my child will make it in college after the disturbing high school years he has had. He is not challenged and they want to put him in classes that are bogus. Home ec, Ag, teachers aid... thats all well and good but 2 classes a semester every year???? C'mon!

Posted September 10, 2008

This is a failing school. The students who go onto college struggle to 'get by'.Their obvious lack of preparation is disturbing. The leadership is questionable,the teachers -for the most part- are qualified. Sadly,however,their hands are tied by the 'small-town-politics' associated with a population just over 2K.

Posted July 20, 2008

k has a great teacher in mrs henery

Posted May 28, 2007

Thorsby has some very qualified teachers, but also some who lack the objectivity to fairly provide instruction to their students. Like many schools, it is clique-ish. This is truly the disadvantage of small-town life. Thorsby is sorely lacking in several areas, and it's not improving!

Posted January 6, 2007

I think that Thorsby has come a long way. My children have attended since 1997. My son is handicapped and I COULD NOT have asked for more cooperation from the faculty and staff. Russ and his staff always have my sons best interests in mind and are always trying to include him and accommodate the school to help make it easier for him. I as a mother thank them and all the hard work that they do. I moved back to Thorsby so my children could have the education that I was fortunate enough to have. Thorsby has more one on one with the students and we are truly blessed to have the teachers that we have! Thanks to you all for a job well done!

Posted November 1, 2006

Thorsby High School is a wonderful school. Both of my sons have attended this school since kindergarten. My youngest son is now a Senior. Mr. Bryan is a great principal. The faculty do the extra little things to make this a wonderful school for the children. I like that it's a small school, so the children are able to be closer and are able to do a few extra things that mean so much to them. I know at a smaller school there are not as many things that are offered, but I would rather have the closeness that my children have with their class, and I do not worry about their safety at this school. If I had to do it all over again, I would still pick Thorsby.

Posted August 12, 2006

Thorsby is a wonderful school. The only problem i see is in the parents lack of support i can say this because i myself am one of the parents that are not giving 100%. I hope this year will be better i will do my part to get parents involved. If you have any desire to get involved with your childs education all you have to do is join the pto(whats left of it) please help if you have any time to give of yourself just let the teachers know. They do appriciate it more than you know.......

Posted February 24, 2006

I just want to say that I think Thorsby High School is the best school in the county that is my opinion anyway. I removed my sons from Clanton's schools, and transferred them to Thorsby in 2003. My oldest son was having problems at clanton, and to save him from getting in trouble all the time, i transferred him. Now he plays all sports, he is a very happy boy now, when he went to Adair he was extremely unhappy and very rebellious. I think that Mr. Bryan and all the wonderful teachers need a round of applause for the way they run this school. I can't even count how many times they have been willing to help me with my sons. I hope anybody out there reads this knows that I would recommend anybody to go to this school and see how wonderful it is. Thanks for everything, Misty Payton.

Posted December 27, 2005

Thorsby is in my opinion the best school in the county. Mr. Bryan is a very good principal because he deals fairly with the students. The amount of extracurricular activities could be increased but overall it's not disappointing. Parental involvement should definitley become more important for the parents of students. A lot of school activities don't heve many parents there to support the children. I appreciate the hard work the teachers put in for the students and it shows because we have some of the brightest children in the county. I wouldn't send my child anywhere else. -Lisa Fulmer

Posted December 30, 2004

I think Thorsby Rebel High School is the greatest school there is in Alabama. The band is Absolutly wonderful, and their foot ball team is great. The teachers are really nice there too. Moving to Thorsby was one of the best choices I ever made. And I will regret leaving. Anyways I would recomend ANY student who is looking for a great education to look at Thorsby High School. It is absolutly wonderful.

Posted December 20, 2004

I'm only a student but Thorsby School has a wondeful faculty and they are always fair. The faculty works hard to make sure you understand what they are teaching. I love Thorsby School and I wouldn't go anywhere else.Thorsby always involves parents and they have great extra curricular activities. Mr. Bryan and Mrs. Hicks are always there if you need them. The teachers always caring no matter what. People call me a good kid because I never get in trouble. But if I did get in trouble I know the time would fit the crime. The school put in new cameras for the safety of the students. Thorsby school has taught me alot and I hope it teaches me alot more.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 17, 2004

Thorsby is a great school. A great place to learn with some great teachers. My daughter loves it and so do I !

Posted June 29, 2004

Thorsby is a good school. The only problem I have with the school is lack of parental involvment and the teachers do not communicate with the parents. My child has been in this school since first grade and I can only say one teacher has been willing to communicate with me before things got out of hand. This needs a huge improvement.Our principal and vice principal are very hands on people and stay involved with our children and they both are striving to make Thorsby the best school in chilton county.

Posted June 25, 2004

I think that Thorsby is a great school. Mr.Bryan and Mrs. Hick is are very fair. The teachers are helpful, and I love to play school sports. Thorsby involves the parents, and they inform the students every day during the announcements. If you do wrong you will be punished but it mostly depends on what you do. Thorsby High School is a great school and I do not want to go any other place.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 5, 2004

Thorsby is a great school. Our children were enrolled there even before we lived in the Thorsby area. Because it is a K-12 school the children who go there are 'sheltered' somewhat longer than they would be in a typical elementary-middle-high school situation. We want that for our children. The teachers are dedicated, capable, and concerned about whether their children learn what they need to know or not. The principal and vice principal are very capable, hands-on administrators. We are blessed to have them. Our kids are receiveing a great education.

Posted May 11, 2004

I used to go to this school when I was young. From what I have heard from parents of small children the school has really come a long way. I hear the teachers are great, the kids are some of the smartest in the county and the extra-curricular activities are adequate. If you would like to email me about this school I can be reached at: ebrahimi@montevallo - Patricia Gentry Ebrahimi - class of 71.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 30, 2004

Thorsby High School has improved over the years. They have an excellent principal along with teachers and staff. The kids there are real good kids. They are also smart.
—Submitted by a former student

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

67 students were tested at this school in 2012.

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

67 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

76 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 91% in 2012.

56 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2012.

57 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

65 students were tested at this school in 2012.

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2012.

65 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2012.

70 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2012.

70 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students84%

Non-migrant91%
Poverty88%
Non-poverty94%
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students84%

Non-migrant43%
Poverty27%
Non-poverty69%

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2012.

57 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % level 3 or level 4

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama Science Assessment (ASA) to test students in grades 5 and 7 in science. The ASA is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2012.

All Students75%

Non-migrant40%
Poverty27%
Non-poverty63%

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 95% in 2012.

86 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Language

The state average for Language was 75% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2009.

52 students were tested at this school in 2009.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 71% in 2012.

Scale: % passing

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama High School Graduation Exam (AHSGE) to test high school students in reading, math, language, biology and social studies. High school students must pass the AHSGE in order to graduate. The AHSGE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 98% in 2012.

Language

The state average for Language was 90% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 95% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 94% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 94% in 2009.

49 students were tested at this school in 2009.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 90% in 2012.

All Students94%

• Mr Russ Bryan
Fax number
  • (205) 646-2197

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now