Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)

I just recently graduated from this school. I was in the inclusion program here and I had the time of my life with the inclusion teachers and students. If your child has special needs or any learning or social disabilities, I recommend this school and in fact this whole school system. I have had numerous help from my case manager in school with school work and non-school related things. Besides the inclusion program, the school has been a blast to be at. I had a great time learning in in my core classes. In some cases during my time at Hewitt there were non-professional teaching and some classes do get off topic for a short time. In my time here, I rarely saw bulling towards me or towards other people in my upperclassman years. When students first arrive from the middle school (my worst experience) they still act like children. Soon enough I saw bully ease as the years went by. The administrators and other faculty are way more kind than the middle school in my opinion. They are more professional when it comes to certain issues but I rarely saw them enforce bullying even though many students never ask for help. I never did any after school activities or sports but I hear they are great. Besides from all the school related stuff, the lunch food is really good and healthy. I hear some new teachers that came here said that this school has the best food in the state. Anyone moving to the Birmingham, AL area, I recommend settling down in Trussville if you have kids. This is a great school system and probably the best in the entire state of Alabama.

I have been in the Trussville school system since 4th grade, I will be entering my sophomore year and I must say after reading all of these comments I'm amazed by how much the high school has improved. I'm definitely not saying it's perfect and I agree with all or the reviews stating how cookie cutter the students are. I myself am in the "artsy emo weirdos" crowd and I'm generally quiet. Countless times have I walked in the hallway and heard, racist, homophobic, and misogynist comments thrown around. On top of that I've gone to this school for almost 7 years and been in classes with generally the same people and still some of them haven't even bothered to learn how to spell my name, much less even ask me what my name is. I've had teachers over the years who are outstanding and genuinely care for students well being while other couldn't care less how well you do in their class. I am pleased with how the arts much the arts are funded at the high school compared to the middle and elementary school. At least at the high school our choir has actual books for each person (even though they were donated), in the middle school we had to share, ripped up, 5 year old music. The arts need to be funded much more though, our school strives to be an athletic school, but we just aren't. It doesn't matter how much you fund sports, you aren't going to magically make the students Olympic material. If you would just fund the arts more I promise we have potential. Anyway closing my rant by saying if you aren't a cookie cutter athlete, you'll definitely be looked down upon by your peers and some teachers, this school is need major need of fine arts funding and teaching students and teachers) to be more open minded.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

It doesn't foster respect in or from the students. Terrible place to go to school.

I had 4 children graduate from HTHS. One was in the high IQ, but because she was shy and not athletic, was virtually ignored. Thankfully, she had a close group of core friends.The teachers and staff are very biased towards athletes, cheerleaders, and that certain elite group. My second is very artsy, thinks outside of the box, and it was years of them trying to make her conform. No new ideas are acceptable. They only want conformity, even in art classes.My last two dealt with dishonest teachers, and parents that would do anything they could to put their child above yours. With a few exceptions, teachers and staff are uncaring, and not very good at teaching. I had one teacher that did not even notice, for an entire month, that one daughter had on a cast from toes to knee. Asked me why my child was late for class, when mt daughter had an excuse .After they graduated, my children, threw away any and all memorabilia, including annuals. This is nothing but a school in Peyton Place or Harper Valley. Take a look at how many, even with B's in subjects, end up in remedial classes in college.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

A small handful of teachers are committed to developing their students into well rounded adults, while the rest meander during classes and wait for their next paycheck.

Amount of homework: Agree

It all varies on what classes you take. The advanced classes always get more homework than the general students, but that's solely because the advanced are more capable to handle the greater work load.

Develops character: Disagree

I can barely agree because the social hierarchy is heavily present within the student body and faculty and denying that it's so incredibly prevalent is a pathetic lie.

I loved my time at this school. For the most part everyone seemed to get along. Of course, all schools have their groups of friends and activities that interested different people, but at the end of the day no one ever seemed left out or uninvited to join the groups of people or activities.

Develops character: Agree

Yes, I learned so much more than just education while attending. I played sports and learned how to work as a team, be a leader, be humble, and driven. So much of my life has been built on these principals. The education was great as well. It really prepared me for the next step in my life.

I have been going to this school since I was in k-5 and I have nothing but horrible things to say about it. This school shows no diversity or tolerance for any other "type" of people. Basically, unless your rich, christian, popular, or involved with athletics you will be shunned or measily just flat out forgotten by the 85% wanna-be or just flat out popular, student body. Growing up going to this school was outrageously difficult because of the consistent wanting to fit in. The teachers are bullies as well they pick their pets and stroke their ego all year. The gym teachers in elementary school would publicly humiliate you in front of the rest of the class by yanking you out in front of everyone because you could not achieve the perfect grape vine to the electric slide, and making you practice it over and over again in the corner until you got it right. The same people that picked on and secluded people are the same ridiculously uncultered people today. An example of how closed many students eyes are to the real world was stated in two sentences. Teacher: "They were homosexuals." Student: "Gay people exsisted back then?" Need I say more?

Last modified Hewitt-Trussville High School is a Public school that serves grades 10-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.