Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted November 25, 2015
We are grateful for Brian Rose, the assistant principal, and former STEAM coordinator. While on vacation, my family visited a museum and my son insisted on taking a picture in front of a science exhibit to send to Mr. Rose. Thank you for inspiring my son to love science!

Univ Place Elementary School 4

Posted September 29, 2014
There is a bit of a lag in the data and information about this school posted on Great Schools. In 2013, the school adopted a project-based STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Mathematics) curriculum. It now also is both a neighborhood school, but allows enrollment from throughout the city as space allows via lottery. This means the school's population is more diverse than reflected in the data. The school also is the home base for the Druid City Garden Project, a non-profit organization that uses school-based gardens as a teaching tool. The students work in the garden, use it for learning science, math and nutrition, and staff the farm stand at the school to sell produce. The school also has been recognized as a "Lighthouse School" for its implementation of the Leader in Me program. Every student takes responsibility for a job in the school - bathroom monitor, greeter, leading announcements, helping in the library - as part of developing their leadership skills. My child loves working in the Lego Lab and the STEAM Lab each week. It gives my busy kindergarten some active time to learn in a hands-on way rather than simply through old-fashioned rote techniques.

Posted November 05, 2013
My child attended Arcadia Elementary's pre-k last year and was selected to attend university place for the STEAM program. Thus far I am very disappointed..... His teacher is unorganized and so is the school. Principal & others are very unfriendly. A move back to arcadia after the school year is a good possibility.

Univ Place Elementary School 4

Posted August 18, 2011
I have three children that attends this school and the teachers and principal knows everyone of them, they are so personable. This past year my oldest two have passed with A's and B's. I wouldn't want my kids to attend any other school.

Posted January 29, 2010
I am very disappointed in the low standards set as this school. My child isn't learning any science, or history as they are only working on math and reading right now in preparation for state testing. There is rarely homework given and it is used as a punishment when it is given out. I don't believe that this school fosters a love of learning or achievement.

Posted September 16, 2009
They have a wonderful Pre-K unit and the special ed teachers are amazing! The Principal is one of the two most active principals I've ever seen in my time in Tuscaloosa!

Posted June 19, 2009
As a parent of two special needs students. I love this school. The staff is well trained and works with parents to ensure that every child will get the best education. We are not zoned for this school but I would not have my special needs kids go anywhere else! Great School!

Posted July 21, 2008
As a parent of two special needs students the educational environment excells. The staff is well trained. Before we moved here I was told that my child would never be in a 'regular' classroom. The staff at University place has not only helped get him into a classroom with typical peers but the educational standards they demand from my child has allowed him to excell and he is now in the gifted program! I Love this school!

Posted March 31, 2008
As a parent from out of state, I have been disappointed in the educational environment at this school. It seems as though the school does not believe in raising standards, but lower standards. I now have a child who excelled and love school to dreading school.

Posted March 25, 2008
As a parent from out of town and out of state, I was glad to have my son zoned to a school with such a supportive staff. They have made my transition into the Tuscaloosa City School System as smooth as possible. I was welcomed with warm smiles and hugs that I am sure will be used to set up a great environment for learning for my student.

2000 First Ave, Tuscaloosa, AL  35401
Last modified Univ Place Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.