Tuscaloosa, AL
Before care: Yes

Posted August 09, 2014
We have been at TA since 2011. While no school is perfect, it has provided my child the ultimate in academics, sports, self confidence, community service & social skills. We are very excited about the future under the leadership of our new headmaster, Dr. Issac Epsy, an alumnus. We could not be more pleased with our child's education and growth! It says much when your child begs to be at school at 7:30 am

Posted June 30, 2014
My child transferred to this school from another high school. The students and the teachers have been both welcoming and accomodating. We love the small class size - many classes have fewer than 10 kids. My child takes all AP classes, so perhaps the parents who are complaining about the academics, have children who do not take the advanced curriculum. My child joined a sports team (not basketball or football) and loves it. I find the comments about parent cliques amusing, mainly because i either dont see it or really dont care. I am just too old to be worried about stuff like that.

Tuscaloosa Academy 3

Posted June 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa Academy is a bitter sweet mixture for us. The acedemics are not superoir but are adequate. The staff turn over seems unusually high. Many personal announcement emails go out regarding staff turnover. Staff are friendly enough. Some more than others. Bullying at times can be astounding to us. Snobbery is very rife. Sports program is 99.9% geared to football and cheerleading (if you can call that a sport) little els is left for other sports. We constantly struggle with little, late or at times no communication. Consistancy is an issue, today X can wear this tomorrow Y gets picked on about the same outfit. I have seen some students disrespect teachers and some teachers seem to swallow it. I am not sure if this is because they dont have the authority to put students in their place. I have seen a lot of tip toeing around students. Parent involvement is limited to "clicks" of the same circle rotating roles. On a positive note. Our child is happy there for the most part when they are able to dodge the bullies. So far their particular teachers (except 1 or 2) have been really wonderful people. We will give it another year and then cosider staying on or leaving.

Tuscaloosa Academy 2

Posted October 10, 2013
As others have stated, there is a lot of bullying in the middle school and it is an expensive place to have your children mistreated. The academics are okay, but not as great as we had hoped. Our children are getting bored. We constantly receive e-mails about turnover of the school employees (teachers, administrators, coaches). We also keep learning that, yes the enrollment has gone up, but a lot of parents are not sending their children back to the school year after year. (After three years, our children will not attend the school next year.) Communication from the staff to parents is hit or miss. Sometimes, we would get e-mails updating us and other times we would have to hear things from the children. We are very disappointed.

Posted September 10, 2012
Great school for friendship, connections, and education. Although you are getting the best education, I think that the way these young students treat each other are impecable almost as a strong family.

Posted July 15, 2010
best school around the area. for all of the other reviews referring to "outside families" do not buy it. those reviews are old, and you should not look to them for your references. i just finished my first year, and it was the best school year of my life. i came from a public school so i knew no one. i made more friends, and had more opportunities in this one year than in my entire school experience. i wish i had come sooner, sad i only have 3 years left. it is not a waste of money, and provides a ton of extracurricular activities. al in all, it's wonderful!

Posted May 27, 2009
We are at the close of our third year at this school and are still as pleased as we were the first day. I continue to be amazed at the quality of the education our children are receiving and can see the joy of learning on their faces. Both children are safe and happy and are getting the best education Tuscaloosa has to offer from a faculty that genuinely cares. I feel secure in knowing that our children's educational goals are being supported by each and every faculty member and that they are being more than adequately prepared for college and for a successful future. As parents, making the decision to attend TA was the best decision we have made for our kids. Our only regret is that we waited until they were in middle school to do it.

Posted May 07, 2008
This schiool is great in many ways. I think it provides the best education in Tuscaloosa. The academics are challenging and the sports programs are good. We are very happy with this great school.

Posted October 24, 2007
This school has been one of the finest schools I have ever had the priviledge of being in. The teachers and staff know each child by name, encourage them in their studies and are involved in their students education. They love the kids and it shows. The enrollment is almost double what you list, the academics are great, they enjoy the sports and travel to broaden their education. They teach morals as well as a love for Jesus and I know these young people will accomplish much in their lives as a result of the education and learning enviorment this school provides. The only drawback to this school is no band. parent involvement is high at this school.

Posted May 18, 2007
We are at the end of our first year at TA and have nothing but praises to share. As for being an 'outside family' we have not experienced that feeling at all. We have felt like part of the TA Family from day one! I have a fourth and sixth grader who both are glad that they did not have to continue in the public school system. They also love the small classes where they can get a more tailored education. The faculty is very personable and are of the highest caliber in the the Tuscaloosa area. From theatre to track, the extracurricular activities are well organized by highly qualified faculty members. The academic programs are challenging with lots of opportunities for enrichment. Tuscaloosa Academy is a true college prep school with high expectations of everyone including parents. We could not be happier with our decision to attend!

Tuscaloosa Academy