Tuscaloosa, AL

Posted June 07, 2015
I cannot say enough good things. My son tested at the genius level on every standardized test, so my expectations regarding academics are high. My daughter also has an above average IQ. I would not send them anywhere but the best. In addition to academics, character development and exposure to other cultures from around the world are important to us. The Capitol School meets all of our expectations. Yes, the tuition is not cheap, but it is worth every penny. There is absolutely no bullying. That is important to us because my son can be labeled a nerd, but every child is accepted not only by the staff but by other students as well. Such is the culture of this school. As my children excel ahead of the class in any subject, they are allowed to do extra work and accomplish extra credits ahead of their peers. As they struggle in a subject (both children struggled at first with literature), they were given extra attention and now are above grade level even in their weakest subjects. The communication with teachers and other staff is outstanding. They usually ask what form of communication you prefer, e.g. e-mail, text, notes sent home. When I pick up my children, they are friendly and will make it a point to tell me anything important, good or bad, that happened that day. They love all the children and are very professional. The campus is beautiful, situated by the park and the library is wonderful. Technology is implemented in a very practical manner. Laptops and tablets are everywhere, but not just for show as in other schools. I will never send my children anywhere else. They are learning the basics, piano, German, Mandarin, Spanish, art, and music. All of those things are included in the tuition. We pay a little more for guitar lessons. My children hated going to school at their old school, but now love it. They often want to go in early and/or stay late. Please visit the school. They will be very open and honest. You will know exactly what to expect after visiting. I hope my long post has helped someone today. Go Owls!

Posted January 26, 2015
It is a great school. My daughter is in the kindergarten and she has started reading and doing math very well in just one semester. Also they teach with no tears. She loves to study, read, write, learn languages. She really enjoys going this school, even she doesn't want to come home in the evening. The Capitol school is not a typical school like sitting on the desk and study with score fears or competition. They don't have typical exams and competitions. So students enjoy learning and love science without knowing they are tested. The other thing I like about this school is that they include parents to education with volunteer jobs. I really enjoy being in the school helping teachers and kids. My daughter gets very excited and happy when she sees me in the school. There is just one negative thing about this school which is very money oriented. The tuition is already very high, and if something is needed for school they ask from parents as donations.

The Capitol School 1

Posted October 17, 2013
Hm where to begin... The Capitol School has a great preschool and the whole idea of international students and different ways of learning is great but they need to workout some kinks. The budget being one of them. They have a hefty I mean hefty tuition price with nothing to show for it. It doesn't cover the required laptop or club fees. The staff is okay nothing different from your average highschool teacher.. They give you a lot of busy work you can find on the internet. They lose teachers throughout the year. And lastly yes there is dual enrollment but the different teaching style hinders your college performance. In college it's the tradition way of teaching that is practiced. Capitol will not prepare you for college. This school would be okay if it were free. But spend your money at TA or ACA. The drama between students and staff is ridiculous. All in all it's a diverse atmosphere but that's about all they have going for them. Again I feel like it was a great idea but it just isn't worth it. They have a lot they need to work on. Any one gets accepted bc they need the money.. It just what these reviews claim. You've been warned

Posted October 11, 2013
I attended this school am so greatful. I was able to graduate with over 20 hours college credit and gained so many experiences that helped prepare me for college. I also was exposed to other cultures, families and values. I now use my spanish and german that I learned at Capitol School on a regular basis in my line of work. I am already saving up to send my daughter there when she gets potty trained! Would highly recommend The Capitol School and Dr. Rountree's leadership and vision!

Posted August 07, 2013
The Capitol School uses the most current research based teaching strategies for all ages in a supportive environment. These strategies are, likewise, based on the latest advancements in what is known in about how the mind learns from research in the neurosciences. The basis of their program is built on research from Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences. Howard Gardner is a top figure at Harvard University and this theory has gained ongoing recognition since its inception in the early 80's from many educators and scholars worldwide. As technology has advanced it is now beginning to have a biological basis in truth, as scientists are learning that IQ is not just reflected in a flat score, but shown in several different dimensions as the theory describes. The Capitol School is the perfect small environment for all ages, allowing all students to have the individualized education they need. All students need to apply their learning and create with their knowledge in order for REAL LEARNING to occur. This happens at the Capitol School. There are improvements that need to be made, as in all schools, but they know this and they work at this constantly. A+ School

The Capitol School 1

Posted April 04, 2010
As a student (who went there for many painful years, including high school), I feel like I have achieved some form of PSTD from attending this school. I feel like all these other reviews are purely fictional. Too much drama, too much money. The best teachers always left too soon because of budget cuts or administrative disagreements. It just wasn't worth it. I definitely would never put my child in my position. It's an experience you'll remember (but for all the wrong reasons).

Posted March 02, 2010
I love it that my children are learning in such a caring and thoughtful environment. Race (in any use of the term) is a four letter word. My kids love to go to school and actually are upset when I come to pick them up even though it is 5:00 pm and they have been there since 7:30 am. The teachers are great and I don't have to wonder what is going on in the classroom because I can drop in at any time. Parents are also encouraged to participate in their child's education. The extracurricular activites are wonderful too. The kids have lots of fun while learning, using a variety of methods. The classes are small enough so the children get a lot of extra attention and, although No Child Is Left Behind, every child can also get ahead!

Posted September 23, 2009
They create a loving environment and fosters the desire to learn, and not just about specific subjects, but also how to build character and become future pillars of society

Posted September 18, 2009
It is a great school that uses the theory of multiple intelligences.

Posted September 17, 2009
The Capitol School provides such a warm, loving and individual learning environment. Children in the preschool are exposed to foreign languages, art and music on a daily basis, while learning essential skills for their development. The Capitol School provides great opportunity for children to develop into well-balanced people. Every fun activity has a specific learning purpose. What a wonderful school to have access to here in Tuscaloosa!

2828 6th Street, Tuscaloosa, AL  35401