Corner High School

Public | 9-12 | 513 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 30, 2014

Corner Theatre Academy is one of the best programs to be involved with in Alabama. I would highly recommend coming to Corner for theatre or if you are interested in any other type of fine art.

Posted October 18, 2013

This school was a nightmare for my granddaughter. She was bullied throughout the year, insulted by teachers, had food thrown at her, and was even punched in the chest by another student who was not punished according to school policy. I spent the entire year trying to get help to no avail. I eventually had to notify the state board of education. They could not fix her gpa which was sabotaged by the theater teacher but they have taken action to try and prevent other children from suffering in this school. Would not ever recommend this school.

Posted June 7, 2013

I believe this school is several notches above the rest. It has so much to offer from advanced placement courses to several extracurricular programs. It has a newly formed theatre academy, athletics, band, choir, art, career technical programs plus offers on-campus college courses. It has many highly qualified teachers and teachers who are involved in all aspects of school life.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 11, 2012

I graduated from Corner High in '11 and I am a proud alumni! Every school has ups and downs just like Corner, it is a high school! The classes just keep getting better with the new school. Teachers will go all out to help their students. This school with each different program is like a family. Just get into a sport, theater, band, etc. I hope that one day when I have children they will go here.

Posted September 22, 2011

I am a Senior at Corner High School and have been here all my life. I have already taken numrous college classes and have been prepared for every one of them. Not only was I prepared, I made an A in each class. My older sister graduated from Corner and is now a nursing graduate of UAB. This school is wonderful! Yes some of the teachers need to start doing their jobs, but for the most part the teachers really care and try and help the kids! Lack of parent involvment is the big issue at Corner. As for the new school...it is amazing! Completly up to date and beautiful! I can not wait to start college and I thank Corner for that! Congrats class of 2012!!! We did it!!! (well, at least we are almost there)

Posted September 14, 2011

My child just began Corner High School when school began this year as he is in the 9th grade. As of yet,not that am at all looking for,he has not had any problems, other than the typical anxiety from going from one school to another. which is very common. my ex-wife and I have taught in public schools for over 35 1/2 years. she has taught at multiple schools, while I always worked at the first, large 6A school that hired me and was involved with about as many activities,mainly varsity football, that you could imagine ,sometimes working as many as 19-20 hours a day, especially in football season. My point here is that me and my x ,who chose to move out to the Sayre area have much experience with children from all walks of life, especially myself,much more than her. my children attended the Bagley school,which was a great experience! Many people mention DIVERSITY in their comments : which literally means difference or variety---as common sense dictates to us that clearly comes from the area we chose to live in. it is NO ONES FAULT, BUT A CHOICE WE MAKE! YOU CAN ALWAYS CHANGE THIS! Corner seems like a great place to me with excellent teachers/staff. Time will tell.we are happy so far!

Posted July 28, 2011

Corner high school is full of bullying and sheltered students. They do not prepare the students for the real world. As for the faculty there are teachers that throw books office faculty that talk to you AFTER they finish gossiping with each other. As for diversity? There is none and if a person of different nationality attends corner many students will do their best to for e them out by harassment verbal and physical abuse racist remarks and flying the rebel flag. I am a former student there and if you're considering corner as your child's school, don't. RUN. A bigger school with more diversity is best. I have attended big city schools and small country schools and the bigger more culturally diverse schools better prepare you for real life.

Posted July 11, 2011

This school is a down right shame. I removed my child after being bullied and name called and depression evident! and no teacher or official doing anything to stop it! I suppose I could call the parents of the ones causing the problems but that is hard to do when it is the teachers that are the bullies!! I would not recomend this school to anyone! the faculty is terrible! they are there to get a pay check, they don't care anything about the kids! My child is not alone I know of 25 to 30 students who have left for reasons similar to this! Shame on you Corner high school!!

Posted May 4, 2011

From what I have heard the children saying about the school, it must be very boring and the teachers must not be too concerned. They are taking pictures of kids sleeping in class, doing nails in class, and in general, just goofing off. How can these kids be ready for college in an atmosphere like this? Our kids and grandkids need to go to college. Are they getting prepared at Corner? I believe someone needs to take action now, not later.

Posted May 7, 2010

I think that the deputy that works at the schools is doing an excellent job! He is trying to keep the school safe and drug free!

Posted March 25, 2010

I am not impressed at all. There are some good teachers, but several are just downright terrible. They don't care about the kids and don't want to put any extra effort in seeing that they learn. I am very very disappointed.

Posted August 21, 2009

Corner School is very boring and I know i'm a student but honestly its not because I hate work its because the teachers rarely do anything to give me a reason to get me interested in the work. I've even been told by some of the teachers that I dont need some of the subjects that we work on,that I could even go through life without having to learn Algebra. I may be a student but this is rediculous.

Posted June 30, 2009

Corner is a great school that offers all k-12 grades. I will be freshmen in 2009 school year, and throughout my school years I can guarantee you corner is a great school. With magnificent teachers and employees we very infrequently have any hostility not so with several other schools. So if you are a parent or legal guardian select Corner, for your child, if you are looking for a secure and promising school. Thank you for your time.

Posted June 9, 2009

I graduated here and made the decision to also send my 3 children here. My husband attended a very diverse school and we both are making it fine. After reading the reviews reguarding lack of diversity I wanted to respond with, I went to school with only white children but was always taught that we are all the same. Diversity is taught in the home and we as parents are lacking to teach and expecting our teachers to do so. Children go to school for an education not to be taught diversity, moral, faith, character and values. As a whole our generation of parents are lacking in what we teach as mothers and fathers and expect our teachers to be more than teachers. If we would all teach our children to love with Gods love and pray for your teachers and administration all schools would change.

Posted May 14, 2009

Corner does a very poor job at making the students understand the real world. The students believe that the school and that community is the entire world. The school would be much improved with a new principal and students with diversity. The way it is now, students only know individuals just like themselves.

Posted January 28, 2009

I can't wait for the new school.My building I'm in now needs alot of improvment.but other than that corner is a great school.

Posted October 17, 2008

Corner High School is an aweful school. It could use a lot of improvment. We do not have a principal who cares. I wish that Coach Harrison would teach the AP math classes, becasue he is a wonderful teacher who cares for every student. He has come up with so many tricks to help the students to understand all of the problems. We need a new principal and i can't wait till the new school is built. =)

Posted September 28, 2008

I love corner high school it is great for the school,except for that cop who roams all around looking for people to pick on.

Posted September 23, 2008

Poor, if they actually cared about their students maybe this school would be decent.

Posted August 24, 2008

My husband and I are both graduates of Corner High School and are thrilled to find our children students at Corner Elementary. We have found that our children are not only being held to high academic standards but also the moral, Christian standards that we expect. All of our teachers have been superior and Mr. Manning and Mrs. Brasher are beyond wonderful in that they both love and protect our children but also have extremly high expectations of them. I can't say enough positives about the school. From the bus drivers, office staff and lunchroom workers to the teachers and administration, I don't think a better school exists. We feel blessed to belong to this community. Brian and Lori Otts

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 95% in 2012.

Language

The state average for Language was 75% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2009.

115 students were tested at this school in 2009.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 71% in 2012.

Scale: % passing

In 2011-2012 Alabama used the Alabama High School Graduation Exam (AHSGE) to test high school students in reading, math, language, biology and social studies. High school students must pass the AHSGE in order to graduate. The AHSGE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 98% in 2012.

Language

The state average for Language was 90% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 95% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 94% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 94% in 2009.

129 students were tested at this school in 2009.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 90% in 2012.

All Students97%

Non-migrant76%
Poverty63%
Non-poverty80%
Scale: % passing

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students100%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 27%N/A55%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
College counselor(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Drama

• Mr Ron Cooper
Fax number
  • (205) 379-3245

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)